PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Coaching Staff [Discuss Coaching Candidates Here!]

Snooky97

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
With Mayo becoming the new headcoach do we have any ideas on how his future staff could look like and what the strucutre of the staff could be looking like? Could we be seeing a Pass game Coordinators and Run game coordinators, like the 49ers coaching staff is constructed or could we be keeping the same staff set up like we've previosuly seen. Same theory applies for the Defence and special teams as well. Personally i could see us gutting the special teams side of things and bringing a whole new staff in, but where would we find the guys to fill out this staff is a wonder too, as Mayo has only been in one place.

I won't try and work out what the front office could look like as we don't even know who the GM could be.

Even though he has been in one place he has seen other coaches across the league, but I do agree with a more structured coaching staff a named DC, OC, ST where the buck stops.. a lot of guys have to go minimally get rid of Judge, O'Brien, Achord to start with and then rebuild.
The FO will probably be much different than it is now and they will have input as to who they think will be best for their roles..

It’ll be whoever Kraft says it’s going to be.
front office? yes. Kraft will have a say.

Coaching staff? No. Coach Mayo will choose his own staff. To deny him the ability to hire his own coordinators and assistant coaches would strip him of any real authority over the coaches, and unnecessarily **** with the power dynamic of the coaching staff.

Even though he has been in one place he has seen other coaches across the league, but I do agree with a more structured coaching staff a named DC, OC, ST where the buck stops.. a lot of guys have to go minimally get rid of Judge, O'Brien, Achord to start with and then rebuild.
The FO will probably be much different than it is now and they will have input as to who they think will be best for their roles..
What about BOB? From my view he was sandwiched between a coach who lost his fastball and offensive talent which the University of Rhode Island defense could give problems.

What about BOB?
Issue with BoB and the offense is that there were 6 games last year when we scored 7 or fewer points, and in 5 out of those 6 games we scored no touchdowns. Add to that the excruciatingly slow starts, only scoring two first quarter touchdowns all year (not counting the Reagor KO return). We didn't score a first quarter TD until week 7 vs Buffalo. Granted a majority of that falls on the players & execution/penalties, but it does make one question the efficacy of the offensive game planning.

Last edited:
I don't see Josh back unless its with BBs blessing.

For me it needs a clear out on offence. Might depend on who we have in mind for QB i.e. Maye/Daniels or a vet.
Issue with BoB and the offense is that there were 6 games last year when we scored 7 or fewer points, and in 5 out of those 6 games we scored no touchdowns. Add to that excruciatingly slow starts, only scoring two first quarter touchdowns all year (not counting the Reagor KO return). We didn't score a first quarter TD until week 7 vs Buffalo. Granted a majority of that falls on the players & execution/penalties, but it does make one question the efficacy of the offensive game planning.
I get it.

I just don't think game-planning/play calling/adjustments were the root-causes.

If you keep the exact same players in 2024 but change the OC you will most likely get the same ~14ppg result.

Look at the last 9 games of TB12s time here. Zero talent and we saw the results.

In '23 the QBs sucked. Top RB was hurt. Line was sucky run-blocking. Line was sketch pass-blocking. TE were not dynamic. Bourne got hurt. Douglas did well for a rook but top-end talent at the position was something they did not have.....

Josh might wind up where ever Belichick lands.
Yup, even if BB did not care if Josh went back to the Pats, Josh staying loyal to BB makes more sense.

Like Charlie W did when Kraft hired BB.

I get it.

I just don't think game-planning/play calling/adjustments were the root-causes.

If you keep the exact same players in 2024 but change the OC you will most likely get the same ~14ppg result.

Look at the last 9 games of TB12s time here. Zero talent and we saw the results.

In '23 the QBs sucked. Top RB was hurt. Line was sucky run-blocking. Line was sketch pass-blocking. TE were not dynamic. Bourne got hurt. Douglas did well for a rook but top-end talent at the position was something they did not have.....

Get O'Brien better talent and let him build out his staff with HIS people. there is so much going on with an NFL staff, that the guys under the OC are so important to handle all the "little stuff" while the OC handles the big picture.

if O'brien was saddled with patricias staff because Bill threw a fit.....we'll its gonna be tough to actually implement what he wants to do.

I can see:

Convington DC
Hightower LB coach
Blount RB coach
Wes Welker OC

Whatever it is the entire offense and st staff needs rebooted.

Defense can stay the same if the bb jr’s are sticking around

Get O'Brien better talent and let him build out his staff with HIS people. there is so much going on with an NFL staff, that the guys under the OC are so important to handle all the "little stuff" while the OC handles the big picture.

if O'brien was saddled with patricias staff because Bill threw a fit.....we'll its gonna be tough to actually implement what he wants to do.
I know it became a popular thing to criticize Bill over but is this really a thing? I've never heard an OC pick his own staff that's the head coaches job.

What if the OC picks his staff and then gets hired as HC the whole staff leaves with him?

I get some coaches might be loyal to each other and like working with eachother but it's still got to be the head coach and/or gm doing the hiring.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back