PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo: With the #3 pick we're taking BPA for the biggest need on the team

If they decide to keep Mac and have him as our starter then what has changed from last year ? Nothing and this team will again be bottom feeders! I want to see some improvement next season, I am not expecting SB, but I am expecting changes for the better and Mac is not that. They should have kept Bill if that is the route they are taking !!!!!
Who said Mac or Zappe is even a possible Starter?? Let me at em let me at em!! :mad:

I'm not okay with Fields as the QB, but the rest of it sounds good to me.
He'd be brought in here to compete with the FA veteran, Draft pick. We get so enamored with so much we need offensively.. however we need some peices on defense as well. That should be another lockdown CB opposite gonzo. Bailey Zappe QB connection is UFL bound.

He'd be brought in here to compete with the FA veteran, Draft pick. We get so enamored with so much we need offensively.. however we need some peices on defense as well. That should be another lockdown CB opposite gonzo. Bailey Zappe QB connection is UFL bound.
I only like it if the draft compensation is really small.

That might still be too high for me. I think our 3rd is so high it could be a good player.
What about a 4th? I'm just of course theorizing.. but the reason I say we need to revamp our QB room is Mac nor Bailey will be any help to the New QB draft pick, we need a veteran in here someone with some experience and pedigree.

I'm starting to think the Bucs will find a way to keep Evans and the Bengals will tag Higgins. I think the prospects of rebuilding our WRs is going to get a lot harder.
I doubt they tag Higgins, pretty sure they are going to have to break open the vault for Chase.

The Colts will tag Pittman though.

I doubt they tag Higgins, pretty sure they are going to have to break open the vault for Chase.

The Colts will tag Pittman though.
What I heard was they want to explore tagging and trading Higgins. The way WR trades are going, they can probably do better than the compensatory 3rd they'd get by letting him walk.

What about a 4th? I'm just of course theorizing.. but the reason I say we need to revamp our QB room is Mac nor Bailey will be any help to the New QB draft pick, we need a veteran in here someone with some experience and pedigree.
Yeah, I agree. I'm just not as sold on Fields as some other posters here. If the Bears are moving him (the way the Jets did with Darnold), that doesn't scream quality goods to me.

Yeah, I agree. I'm just not as sold on Fields as some other posters here. If the Bears are moving him (the way the Jets did with Darnold), that doesn't scream quality goods to me.
Yes, I understand what you're saying. Fields IMO is a victim of bad coaching he can certainly play at a high level.. his.game could elevate here with a players coach in mayo, some weapons around him and a better culture. You can clearly see the talent with Fields but coaching just isn't up to parr.

Here are some complementary WR's to consider in FA Guys who work well with a Potential #1.

Marquise Brown

K.J. Osborn

DJ Chark

Josh Reynolds

Curtis Samuel

Just need to look at what's available in free agency, and what's not available.

- You can probably find a WR1: between Higgins, Evans, Pittman Jr or a trade, someone will be available
- You can probably find a decent TE1: Dalton Schultz is good, and they might be able to just bring back Hunter Henry, who was fine
- You CAN'T find a QB1: there's Cousins, Baker (who are not necessarily world-beaters themselves) and then that's it. Assuming they stay with their teams, you're looking at backups/bridge guys at best
- You CAN'T find a LT: Tyron Smith is a big maybe. They next best guy is Trent Brown...

Considering the above - I would spend on WR and TE in free agency and try to get a mid-level RT and a bridge QB. I would then draft a QB at 3 and investigate moving up into the late teens/early twenties for a guy I can make my left tackle.
Rather than take the QB at #3, I like the small trade down idea.

They get another valuable pick or two, and still get a top WR or OT, or the QB who shouldn’t have gone at #3.

And under no circumstances should the Pats be looking to trade up.

Yes, I understand what you're saying. Fields IMO is a victim of bad coaching he can certainly play at a high level.. his.game could elevate here with a players coach in mayo, some weapons around him and a better culture. You can clearly see the talent with Fields but coaching just isn't up to parr.
Fortunately the Pats have the quality coaching Fields would need.

Oh wait!!!

Fortunately the Pats have the quality coaching Fields would need.

Oh wait!!!
Yeah that same Coaching that Coached up Tyquan and those other busted Draft picks??

Oh wait!!! not here anymore. :)

Yeah that same Coaching that Coached up Tyquan and those other busted Draft picks??

Oh wait!!! not here anymore. :)
Well, we don’t have ANY offensive coaches who might fix Fields.

Rather than take the QB at #3, I like the small trade down idea.

They get another valuable pick or two, and still get a top WR or OT, or the QB who shouldn’t have gone at #3.

And under no circumstances should the Pats be looking to trade up.
It's not sexy, but a smart play may be:

- Trade down from 3 to 6 with NYG in exchange for pick #47, so NYG can take MHJ
- At 6, take either one of the top two LT prospects, or Jayden Daniels still if he's happened to fall to 6 (he may, since ARI and LAC are not likely to take him - though another team could trade up)
- With picks 34 and 47, explore moving up as needed to plug the tackle/QB gap that still exists on the team after your first pick

It's not sexy, but a smart play may be:

- Trade down from 3 to 6 with NYG in exchange for pick #47, so NYG can take MHJ
- At 6, take either one of the top two LT prospects, or Jayden Daniels still if he's happened to fall to 6 (he may, since ARI and LAC are not likely to take him - though another team could trade up)
- With picks 34 and 47, explore moving up as needed to plug the tackle/QB gap that still exists on the team after your first pick
IF we could get Nix or Pennix Jr after that I could live with it.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back