PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo negotiations + OC interviews next week

Very strange. I have been thinking about the fact that Bill O'Brien most likely also wanted a chance to be the next guy after Bill here if Bill chooses to retire in the near future and didn't want to be automatically blocked from that before he even started by Mayo. I wonder how things are balancing out.

Perhaps it's less complicated than we all assume. Mayo didn't really want to leave the area or the team, he just wanted more opportunity to grow his knowledge (and a lot more money). Kraft gives him a hefty salary increase and promises him more Belichick time but perhaps it's not quite the "heir apparent" situation we've all discussed. That's not to say that he WON'T succeed Bill, but at least it lets O'Brien also try his hand at candidacy too.
I honestly believe that Bill (or the Krafts) would NEVER promise heir apparent because you never know what's going to happen in 2 minutes, much less however long Bill continues coaching. I do think both Mayo and BoB feel like they're auditioning, either for the Krafts or another owner, and are highly motivated to make things better this season.

There’s a chance he felt that was just a Rooney Rule interview too though. They ultimately hired Frank Reich.
Doubtful because he agreed to interview then cancelled. Ostensibly after meeting with the Pats.

Things shaping up
Proud Of You Yes GIF

Lots to be pleased with regarding the coaching staff to this point in the offseason. Now give Mayo a title.

I'm super pumped with all of the new coaching hires. We have Teapot who can throw and catch the passes, Lawing who's Gronk-Hernandez Part II, & Klemm who is Light-Mankins-Koppen rolled into one. Who needs elite players when you have elite coaches.

Coaches >>> players

Calling it now 12-5 13-4. LFG!

They need a legitimate WR coach. Jefferson would be a really good get.
Just curious what the knock on Troy Brown is? Clearly he is a guy who succeeded in the league through hard work and being smart and he knows what it means to be a patriot.

Sure WRs havent been great but hes helped develop Meyers into a great player...Seems the problem has been with the offensive scheme/OL not giving Mac time/ Mac making poor decisions... Plus an overall lack of talent at WR. Bourne played great under the right system, Meyers has outperformed etc..

I guess put me down as a skeptic that Troy was part of the problem and things would have been different with a different WR coach.

Just curious what the knock on Troy Brown is? Clearly he is a guy who succeeded in the league through hard work and being smart and he knows what it means to be a patriot.

Sure WRs havent been great but hes helped develop Meyers into a great player...Seems the problem has been with the offensive scheme/OL not giving Mac time/ Mac making poor decisions... Plus an overall lack of talent at WR. Bourne played great under the right system, Meyers has outperformed etc..

I guess put me down as a skeptic that Troy was part of the problem and things would have been different with a different WR coach.
I totally agree. The jury is still out on him after that dysfunctional system last year. What makes Jefferson a can’t miss. I know one thing, Troy was a lot better receiver. Learned from the ground up to get where he got. Must have had many learning traits he could pass on. Put him with BOB for a year in his current position and then judge him. Jefferson does nothing for me. Klemm I am all in on. Only because he is needed to replace Matt. I felt the same about Caley as Brown. Difference is Caley wants a promotion and may feel slighted and BOB is more comfortable with Lawing. Unity in a system matters immensely

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back