PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo negotiations + OC interviews next week

Seems like Bill and Bob are treating him with the respect he deserves. Hopefully they did enough to convince him to stay, like when McDaniels changed his mind about the Colts.

Seems like Bill and Bob are treating him with the respect he deserves. Hopefully they did enough to convince him to stay, like when McDaniels changed his mind about the Colts.
Oh He’s staying.
He just refused to even interview for 2 positions. If he did not have assurances from the Pats and did not even want the Carolina or Cleveland job. He still would interview for them to force the Pats hand or show he is available to other teams.
My guess is they are finalizing contract details.

Then Mcdnaiels still bounced.
I can see Mayo having staying power he seems to be the total package and players love him.

If the Texans are smart they hire Demeco Ryan’s as HC would ignite that fan base.

Oh He’s staying.
My guess is they are finalizing contract details
He just refused to even interview for 2 positions.
Makes me wonder what the McDaniels negotiations were about a few years ago. Many of us thought HE was promised HC after Bill, but obviously he left for the Raiders.

What do you think was promised? More money, HC when Bill retires, or otherwise glowing references for any HC position that interests them if Bill decides to stick around?

After the McD rehire, personally it's hard to imagine that they are assuring him of a specific time that Bill will give up the reigns.

It’s pretty clear that the intention is to keep Mayo to replace Bill. The key word in the press release is : « that would keep him with the team long term ».

That would also mean that Bill is probably gonna retire at the end of 2024 after passing Shula. Because I don’t think that Mayo, who said that he wanted to be a HC, will stay 5 years as a DC here waiting for Bill to retire.
I don’t buy that. People said the same thing when we got Josh McDaniels to bail on the Colts. That was not the case.

Krafts definitely told him they want him to be the next HC
Same point as above

I can see Mayo having staying power he seems to be the total package and players love him.
Makes sense.... would explain why Stevie has taken the DC position. He would stay in the role he has been groomed for, while Mayo has a different path ahead.

I agree, it seems that mayo is a great leader of men and fits the head coach role better.

Then Mcdnaiels still bounced.

If the Texans are smart they hire Demeco Ryan’s as HC would ignite that fan base.
McDaniels bounced because it has been 4 years since he snubbed the Colts and would still have to wait at least another 2 years. He must have felt ready to move on.
Mayo can learn for the next 2-3 years so he can be better suited to take over a whole system. Probably going to be paid well. His family loves being in this area.
I love his demeanor. We will soon see how smart he teally is

McDaniels bounced because it has been 4 years since he snubbed the Colts and would still have to wait at least another 2 years. He must have felt ready to move on.
Mayo can learn for the next 2-3 years so he can be better suited to take over a whole system. Probably going to be paid well. His family loves being in this area.
I love his demeanor. We will soon see how smart he teally is
Mcdaniels family also loved the area.
Vegas is nice but I wouldn’t want to live there.

Makes sense.... would explain why Stevie has taken the DC position. He would stay in the role he has been groomed for, while Mayo has a different path ahead.

I agree, it seems that mayo is a great leader of men and fits the head coach role better.
Steve calls the plays. Mayo runs the meetings and sets up game plan. This is from Mayo’s mouth.
That means that Mayo plays a much more important role
I am not saying Steve can’t do it all but my guess is Mayo stays in current role with BB giving him more insight into the total picture. I am sure Steve gets this insight but he can never take over for Bill here in NE. That would be the ultimate kiss of death

I wonder if Bill will “open his world” to Mayo now
He probably will. They'll discuss coaching and then Bill will discuss how he evaluates player personnel, drafting, etc., but Jerod will interrupt him and tell him to just stick to coaching.

Sounds like Kingsbury is not interested in coaching this season. Was wishful thinking on my part.

Goes to show. Some posters want a totally different system, because they feel the system is doomed because of Patricia running it as vanilla as possible. The other teams were calling out our plays.
McDaniels ran it many years to great success.
BoB ran it to record setting year.
That is why I believe we will go with someone that will run a similar system. Our personal is set up for this type of system. Saying that I think BoB makes way too much sense. He has also already worked with Mac

no i gave you a reasonable explanation and your argument is based on what you want

there is no evidence that lafleure sucks, look at his qb's he had to work with.
Lafluer was handed the qb that was the second pick in the draft and he ruined him.
Your explanation was not reasonable at all. Your explanation was ignore the results and use your opinion. And your opinion is not a good one.

Why do they need anybody? The offense is the same every year it doesn’t change.
The offense changes every year, within its framework. That’s what happened this year and will happen next year.

Steve calls the plays. Mayo runs the meetings and sets up game plan. This is from Mayo’s mouth.
That means that Mayo plays a much more important role
I am not saying Steve can’t do it all but my guess is Mayo stays in current role with BB giving him more insight into the total picture. I am sure Steve gets this insight but he can never take over for Bill here in NE. That would be the ultimate kiss of death
I’ve heard this “from Mayos mouth” comment many times. Could you be kind enough to provide a link?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back