PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maybe I'm overreacting, but is it time to pull the plug on Edelman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. I didn't realize it was Edelman who threw four interceptions and gave up 34 points to the Bills offense today.

Maybe I need to re-watch the game later?

Do either of these two play safety or outside linebacker?

The offense put us ahead 21-0. The offense tied the game at the end.

The Bills scored at will.

Sorry the problem was Ocho messing up the touchdown which could have won us the game.

The premise of this thread is absolutely the strangest reaction to a loss I've ever seen. Never in my wildest imagination and I'm an imaginative guy, would I have thought that someone after this team debacle would have blamed Edelman. Edelman!?!

Today we played terrible as a TEAM. That means everybody included.

The only person that really stood out today was Wes Welker. Anybody still wanna trade him?
Gronk didn't stand out? You need a new TV...

The premise of this thread is absolutely the strangest reaction to a loss I've ever seen. Never in my wildest imagination and I'm an imaginative guy, would I have thought that someone after this team debacle would have blamed Edelman. Edelman!?!

Ummm... maybe instead of wildly dreaming you should read the original post. I did not say I blamed him for this loss, I said I've come to the realization that he is useless in our offense. It was obvious in the second half that Brady would only throw to Welker or Gronkowski. Branch, not sure what happened to him. Ochocinco, we know his story. Edelman, when is the last time he has proven to be a serviceable player outside of special teams? Edelman was not to blame today, but the other players have fixable problems. Edelman just does not belong.

How can that 'conclusion' be a result of what you saw? Did you watch 84 today? 85?

Interesting. I didn't realize it was Edelman who threw four interceptions and gave up 34 points to the Bills offense today.

Maybe I need to re-watch the game later?

No, it was our MVP quarterback who did that, but he'll be playing at an elite level again before you can blink. Edelman, though, just is not good. I hope the Pats consider cutting him when Price comes in; I'm sure ko and punt returning duties can be assumed by a player who can also contribute on offense or defense.

No, it was our MVP quarterback who did that, but he'll be playing at an elite level again before you can blink. Edelman, though, just is not good. I hope the Pats consider cutting him when Price comes in; I'm sure ko and punt returning duties can be assumed by a player who can also contribute on offense or defense.

You hope the Pats consider cutting the best returner on our team? One of the better punt returners in the league? There is room for both Price and Edelman, Ocho is the one who needs to go.

Edelman doesn't hurt the team, you need to rewatch the game if you think he did.

While I don't think that all 4 picks are Brady's fault, why are you giving him a free pass and dumping the blame on Edelman? I simply don't understand it. Only two skill position players truly stood out today, Welker and Gronk. Nobody else was noticeable and we still put up 31 points, despite 4 turnovers, and you want to cut Edelman, who didn't potentially run the wrong route and cause an interception, the same guy who didn't drop a touchdown pass while he was wide open, the same guy who didn't have PI calls on him negating an interception, the same guy who wasn't beat for touchdowns, etc.

Last edited:
Ummm... maybe instead of wildly dreaming you should read the original post. I did not say I blamed him for this loss, I said I've come to the realization that he is useless in our offense. It was obvious in the second half that Brady would only throw to Welker or Gronkowski. Branch, not sure what happened to him. Ochocinco, we know his story. Edelman, when is the last time he has proven to be a serviceable player outside of special teams? Edelman was not to blame today, but the other players have fixable problems. Edelman just does not belong.

The only problem with your "theory" is that Brady threw to Edelman at least 3 times that I know of in the 2nd half. And those passes were knocked away by good defensive plays.. So, how does that lead you to "Edelman just does not belong"?

Sorry, your premise is lacking..

:bricks:I can't even drink my way thru this post:eek:

How can that 'conclusion' be a result of what you saw? Did you watch 84 today? 85?

This was a game where Hernandez was out, Ochocinco screwed up on that route which led to the interception, Branch was taken out of the game, and Edelman, in his third year with team, did nothing again.

What is your "conclusion" about Edelman's production in the offense since his first game in 2009?

I can't believe everyone is so hostile about this thread. Why can't we agree that, regardless of today's scheme/performance, this guy is a complete non-factor in the offense.

This was a game where Hernandez was out, Ochocinco screwed up on that route which led to the interception, Branch was taken out of the game, and Edelman, in his third year with team, did nothing again.

What is your "conclusion" about Edelman's production in the offense since his first game in 2009?

I can't believe everyone is so hostile about this thread. Why can't we agree that, regardless of today's scheme/performance, this guy is a complete non-factor in the offense.

You just admit that Ochocinco was detrimental and Edelman had no effect on the outcome but want Edelman gone. It makes great sense if you don't think about it at all.

You just admit that Ochocinco was detrimental and Edelman had no effect on the outcome but want Edelman gone. It makes great sense if you don't think about it at all.

I've admitted that several times. For the last time, I'm not praising Ochocinco; I am not saying Edelman is to blame for the loss today. What I'm saying is that my book is closed on Edelman, and most on here just don't have the stones to admit what they see. Edelman was a great prospect his rookie year, had a 100-yard game in Week 2, had a 100-yard playoff game against the Ravens, and looked like a legitimate option in our offense. He is not good, though, and he never will be; he shows no signs of being anything close to reliable.

Edelman will never be a good offensive player, so we might as well get rid of him and have Price duke it out with Ochocinco for playing time. Right now, there's no one competing with. I'd be all for cutting Ochocinco if Edelman didn't suck, which is why it's more frustrating to explain this.

He is completely useless in the spread offense. Not sure why we wouldn't just put two running backs on the field with three WRs, rather than putting four WRs with Edelman. His first game he had over 100 yards receiving, and that was back in 2009. Since then, he's done nothing.

As bad as Ochocinco played, at least he has the talent to make defenses note that he is on the field and needs to be covered.

The problem with that is he can't catch a cold unless he's wide open, and even that isn't a given...

I fear that the coaches love Edleman's want to the detriment of using better suited weapons...or at least that seemed to be in play today. Edleman as a RB?? Edleman is a poor man's Wes Welker, and it's fine to have him on the roster as a returner and for WR depth considering how important Welker is. But nobody went down that I can recall so it's as if this staff can't resist the impulse to get too cute...

I've admitted that several times. For the last time, I'm not praising Ochocinco; I am not saying Edelman is to blame for the loss today. What I'm saying is that my book is closed on Edelman, and most on here just don't have the stones to admit what they see. Edelman was a great prospect his rookie year, had a 100-yard game in Week 2, had a 100-yard playoff game against the Ravens, and looked like a legitimate option in our offense. He is not good, though, and he never will be; he shows no signs of being anything close to reliable.

Edelman will never be a good offensive player, so we might as well get rid of him and have Price duke it out with Ochocinco for playing time. Right now, there's no one competing with. I'd be all for cutting Ochocinco if Edelman didn't suck, which is why it's more frustrating to explain this.

Edelman caught the 1 pass thrown to him, which was more than what Branch did today, and it was a very difficult pass to catch, and he picked up yards on the end-around.

So, you want to crucify Edelman even though he was more productive than Branch, and didn't cause any screwups like Ocho. Edelman has been productive when called upon, in the games when Welker didnt play Edelman did quite well.

If you want to close the book on Edelman go ahead, he's not the cause of our offensive woes and getting rid of him will have virtually no effect, other than giving the offense worse field position after kicks.

Our problems stemmed from not being able to effectively run the ball, if we could do that today it wouldnt have been close.

The problem with that is he can't catch a cold unless he's wide open, and even that isn't a given...

I fear that the coaches love Edleman's want to the detriment of using better suited weapons...or at least that seemed to be in play today. Edleman as a RB?? Edleman is a poor man's Wes Welker, and it's fine to have him on the roster as a returner and for WR depth considering how important Welker is. But nobody went down that I can recall so it's as if this staff can't resist the impulse to get too cute...

I didn't understand the "Cutsie" plays either. They made no sense and really were done at times that hurt the Pats offense.

While I agree that Edelman is a poor man's Welker, I disagree with your assessment that he can't catch a cold unless he's open. I think that he showed he CAN when given the chance consistently. The problem, today, was there was no rhythm to the Pats offense. Even on the early drives, things were off.

Something else I didn't see a lot of today, was audibles by Brady. And that tells me that they didn't plan on the run game being a factor. And that's not a good thing. Also, while people were hoping to see Ocho break out today, the Pats didn't use him very well. In fact, it seemed to me that they basically ignored all the routes that Aaron Hernandez runs. Instead of having Chad run some of the same routes that Hernandez runs, they kept Chad on the outside. And they didn't use Chad down by the goal-line.

I also believe the Pats made a mistake by ignoring the long ball. Two or three attempts to Slater would have opened up the running game and passing game a bit.

There are times when the Pats coaching staff needs to step up and tell Brady that they are going to run the ball. And that they need to stick to it. Had they run Ridley some in the first half, things could have been very different for the whole game..

The other thing that was disappointing is no WR screen. FFS, use Chad on that. Use Welker on that with Chad leading. The screen is one of this teams best weapons and, again, it wasn't in the game plan, today..

Is this thread for real? A call out to Edelman, after today? Hey, let's bag on Mesko, too, while we're at it.

Is this thread for real? A call out to Edelman, after today? Hey, let's bag on Mesko, too, while we're at it.

I agree, cutting the Punter should send a message to the offense to not screw up. Lets do this!

PLEASE cut Ocho before going anywhere near Edelman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back