PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matthew Slater flies back to New England

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
He was injured last game and has reportedly went home and will miss the Oakland game. It seems this is a serious injury as far as hamstring injuries go according to reports.

We should expect him to miss multiple games at this point.

Pitt is week 15. I hope he is 100% by then.

Injury update: Matthew Slater could miss multiple games due to "serious" hamstring injury

For reference the nest games are

@Oakland (Mexico City), Miami @Buffalo @Miami @Pit

Last edited:
We’ll be lucky to see him back for playoffs — have to feel the trade for Bademosi was made with thoughts towards that hammy never really healing this year.

Another example of the genius at work!

His body is breaking down. That and has a complete disregard for being in 30mph collisions 10 times a game

He will be missed on STs. If Slater isn't doubled on punt coverage, maybe Jones and Hollister don't get the turnover. I would not be surprised to see him wind up on IR depending on the health of the team moving forward.

BB's penchant for ST players is often criticized, but after last week it is really nice to have depth in these positions..

Slater is a good guy, great teammate and a star on ST's...

He was having a great season too.

How about the hit delivered by 51 Trevor Reilly on a NE kick off? The ground shook.

Big Slater fan even though I love making fun of his lack of pass catching skills. I hope he returns to full health soon and enjoys Thanksgiving at home with the family.

Top ST snaps in 2017:

J. Jones = 165
Bolden = 164
Richards = 164
Ebner = 155 (missed first two weeks with a shoulder injury)
King = 151 (missed wk-4 with a hammy)
*Marsh = 144
*Bademosi = 140 (ST snaps reduced a bit for the two games he played CB)
*M. Flowers = 132
(*) = new guys

Slater = 62

Before the season, I was thinking that Slater might retire at the end of it. He turned 32 the first week of September, and it's looking all the more likely with the hammy. A new crew, led by Ebner (turns 29 on Dec. 14) seems poised to take over.

If Slater's hammy is really bad, I suppose he could go on IR and help coach from the sidelines while making room for VV, MM, Jelks, or someone from the PS (probably Grissom).

End of a grand era, though.

He will be missed on STs. If Slater isn't doubled on punt coverage, maybe Jones and Hollister don't get the turnover. I would not be surprised to see him wind up on IR depending on the health of the team moving forward.

Slater did come very strong back to ST unit but Bademosi to me was #1 gunner and STer this year in his absence . also double teamed . so STs shouldn't miss a beat.

Now that Gilmore came back and strong Bademosi can fully return to his ST job..

Off the field he might be more difficult to replace but Id expect him at the sidelines at least at home like previously in the season..

Hope he sees at least another PO game though..

Top ST snaps in 2017:

J. Jones = 165
Bolden = 164
Richards = 164
Ebner = 155 (missed first two weeks with a shoulder injury)
King = 151 (missed wk-4 with a hammy)
*Marsh = 144
*Bademosi = 140 (ST snaps reduced a bit for the two games he played CB)
*M. Flowers = 132
(*) = new guys

Slater = 62

Before the season, I was thinking that Slater might retire at the end of it. He turned 32 the first week of September, and it's looking all the more likely with the hammy. A new crew, led by Ebner (turns 29 on Dec. 14) seems poised to take over.

If Slater's hammy is really bad, I suppose he could go on IR and help coach from the sidelines while making room for VV, MM, Jelks, or someone from the PS (probably Grissom).

End of a grand era, though.

Your retiring the guy because he's dealt with a bad hamstring all year? He's had a nice long career but I still think he has plenty left and no reason to think his hamstring would stop him.

This guy lives and breaths football he will most definitely be playing next year.

Hopefully here. I think his contract is up and if I were a young team on the rise I would overpay for him. You can simultaneously express the importance of STs while adding an excellent locker room leader who can help show the young rising team what it takes.

Your retiring the guy because he's dealt with a bad hamstring all year? He's had a nice long career but I still think he has plenty left and no reason to think his hamstring would stop him.

This guy lives and breaths football he will most definitely be playing next year.

Hopefully here. I think his contract is up and if I were a young team on the rise I would overpay for him. You can simultaneously express the importance of STs while adding an excellent locker room leader who can help show the young rising team what it takes.

I am not "retiring the guy".

I'm not saying that he should retire. I'm not saying that he will retire. Unlike you, I'm not making any kind of definitive prediction, such as, "he will most definitely be playing next year".

I'm only offering the possibility that - given his age (33 at the start of next season), his contract being up, AND this injury - he might retire. Might, not "will". Implicit in that is that he also might not. He might take another contract with the Pats (if one is offered). He might take a contract with another team in a city far from where he's made his home for a decade, and far from where his wife is a practicing pathologist (if another team offers him a contract).

These are all possibilities, but I have no idea what he may or may not decide to do because I can't read minds.

Sending mighty prayers your way, Matthew. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back