PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Judon: Best Defensive Signing Since Gilmore/Harrison

I’ve said this many times since he signed, he was a bargain signing. He’s not all world, but he’s a great value when many pass rushers are making a s**t ton of money these days. Did you know TJ Watt makes $28M per year? That is ridiculous.

And by the way I hate his red sleeves, but I think his sack celebration is funny.
And Judon is 14/per for 4 years. Don't get me wrong TJ is a monster. So is Judon.

When you shell out 239m dollars in free agency, you better get at least a hit or two off that.

And the very reason we had to spend this money was the atrocious drafting by BB and his 'braintrust' over the past 5-6 years which depleted the team's talent level to the point where we missed the playoffs.

So yes, Judon was a good get. No, I'm not impressed if we fail to make the playoffs this season. Results matter.

Just read the article by Sheehan in response to the spending spree and see if you still feel impressed.

When you shell out 239m dollars in free agency, you better get at least a hit or two off that.

And the very reason we had to spend this money was the atrocious drafting by BB and his 'braintrust' over the past 5-6 years which depleted the team's talent level to the point where we missed the playoffs.

So yes, Judon was a good get. No, I'm not impressed if we fail to make the playoffs this season. Results matter.

Just read the article by Sheehan in response to the spending spree and see if you still feel impressed.
You won’t be impressed with Judon if the Pats fail to make the playoffs?

Of course! It had nothing to do with 4 trips to the SB in 5 years, picking at the bottom of every round 5 years in a row, hollowing out drafts to trade for players needed to make the runs, playing an extra month 5 years in a row, having players poached above market, having coaches poached because of success, and flipping to a rookie QB. To say nothing of their worst 2 picks, stolen by the NFL. There's a reason the Patriots got a lot of Comp picks, even in the 3rd round.

The money they spent wasn't spent for THIS YEAR alone - and it didn't put them in cap hell by any means. They're spending near the cap. Did they add VOID years? Did they add guaranteed money that will carry on long after any of the acquisitions are out of their prime playing years?

This is the "shock value" of that article, repeated in bold for every section: THEY SPENT $236MILLION! Add up the years of service for that money: Judon 4, Smith 4, Henry 3, Agholor 2, Godchaux 2, Wise 4, Andrews 4, Guy 4, White 1, Karras 1, Jalen Mills 4, Van Noy 2,

That's 35 years of service (which alone is less than 7m/players per year of service), not counting the guys like Adams, Anderson, Cody Davis who came in cheap, or didn't make it, or got hurt.

Talking about drafts in a vacuum can make things much worse or much better than they are in reality without context of others teams' drafts. Yes, they whiffed big on a couple/few, no doubt, but we simply don't know on 2020 and 2021 yet, and if you go back beyond 2017 those guys are all on second contract now, which would have meant...paying them (like with Wise this year, returning in FA).

You can argue individual contracts for those brought in - Judon, Mills, Bourne, Henry, Andrews, Karras, and Guy all look really good to me. Not sure about Smith (but confident) and Agholor yet, Godchaux and Van Noy have to step it up to be worth their $$, not sure about Wise, but hey, they knew who he was before they signed him.

i mean, Pittsburgh hit big on TJ Watt, right? And htey just gave him $110m with 80 guaranteed for four years. Hitting on a draft is $ savings for 4 (5 for 1st rounders) years, tops. So even if they had hit on drafts in 2014, 15, 16, and 17, they'd be paying those hits $$$$$ right now.

They're in a reset. Rookie QB. Liking what I see.

Judon with 9 sacks now.

The only Pats ever with this pace are Chandler Jones or Tippett .

Judon with 9 sacks now.

The only Pats ever with this pace are Chandler Jones or Tippett .

OT: Speaking of Jones and sacks. He had five week one and hasn’t had one since. I know he missed a few games, but that is a weird stat. He doesn’t even lead the Cards in sacks now.

It’s funny. People claimed Judon was a product of the a Ravens’ system. You can argue that they held him back. He is better here so far than he was as a Raven.

OT: Speaking of Jones and sacks. He had five week one and hasn’t had one since. I know he missed a few games, but that is a weird stat. He doesn’t even lead the Cards in sacks now.

Apparently Chandler Jones got covid 4 weeks ago. Still has 14 QB hits and 5 tackles for loss. But yes noted you seem really into the bad argument that Jones hasn't played like a HOF player over his career.

Last edited:
Apparently Jones got covid 4 weeks ago. Still has 14 QB hits and 5 tackles for loss. But yes noted you seen really into the bad argument that Jones hasn't played like a HOF player over his career.

First, of all, that doesn’t have anything to do with it. I wasn’t even think of that argument.

Second of all, not to rehash the argument. I just pointed out how it is to get in and how better d-linemen from the past are still not in the Hall. But I don’t want to rehash this argument. But ask Richard Seymour how easy it is to get into the HOF.

This offseason was a win. Judon, Henry, Mac, Barmore are gold. Mills, Rham, and Bourne are all VG contributors. Agholor & Jonnu are much maligned, but there is still season to be played and both have already had a big play or two.

This offseason was a win. Judon, Henry, Mac, Barmore are gold. Mills, Rham, and Bourne are all VG contributors. Agholor & Jonnu are much maligned, but there is still season to be played and both have already had a big play or two.
Don't forget Karras. Sneaky good signing. Thank God or LG would be a mess

I love Karras. I hope he remains a key cog in the OL for the remainder of the season !

People here undervalue Karras. They also undervalue Bolden and Gunner.

OLine looks completely different with Onwenu at RT and Karras at LG.

It’s funny. People claimed Judon was a product of the a Ravens’ system. You can argue that they held him back. He is better here so far than he was as a Raven.
This was my concern and i was wrong.

I can’t recall a season where I’ve seen a player blatantly held with no flag thrown as much as this year with Judon. He gets hooked around the neck on damn near every other play, with the OL to his side. Even today on Jackson INT, it was an obvious hold and the ref wasn’t going to throw the flag. Bill needs his guys to be up the NFL’s ass to get this addressed. Either they start throwing more flags=more penalties, or OT’s try to avoid it and he gets eaten alive!

This was my concern and i was wrong.

He's a really savvy player as well. You watch how he plays, his type of style will age well as he gets older he will still be able to play. He knows when to slow down, almost like a RB who doesn't always go full speed and waits for his blocks to develop in front of him.

I love Karras. I hope he remains a key cog in the OL for the remainder of the season !

People here undervalue Karras. They also undervalue Bolden and Gunner.
Some think . . . Mongo only pawn in game of football. [He's Alex Karras's nephew.]

I can’t recall a season where I’ve seen a player blatantly held with no flag thrown as much as this year with Judon. He gets hooked around the neck on damn near every other play, with the OL to his side. Even today on Jackson INT, it was an obvious hold and the ref wasn’t going to throw the flag. Bill needs his guys to be up the NFL’s ass to get this addressed. Either they start throwing more flags=more penalties, or OT’s try to avoid it and he gets eaten alive!

Can he throw his arms in the air almost like to draw a foul ?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back