PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Martellus Bennett : [UPDATE: Placed on IR]

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, he's currently NOT healthy, so there is no need to file a waiver wire claim. IF he gets through waivers, and IF it is determined that he still wants to play here, THEN he would be a number the Pats would want on speed dial in case there is an injury in the TE's room.

And that is the ONLY way Marty will get asked back is if there is an injury to Gronk, Allen or Hollister. The call to dump Allen is just stupid. His lack of catches has a great deal to do with the lack of targets he has gotten. Given the way the Pats distribute the ball, 2 weeks from now he could easily have 10 catches. It isn't like Allen was the reason they lost those 2 games.

So I see the situation as this. If anything happens to any of our TE's it is nice to know that there is likely to be a decent option out there to replace the loss. But right now a lot of questions need to be asked before signing him becomes even a possibility

The guy doesn't even have a catch. One catch! I never liked the move to acquire him. I never liked him out of college. Too slow.

The guy doesn't even have a catch. One catch! I never liked the move to acquire him. I never liked him out of college. Too slow.

How many targets does he have? How many of those targets hit him in the numbers?

Depends how severe his injury is. If he can play SIGN him.

If he cannot block with that shoulder he is useless here, other than that whole "A TE not named Gronk can consistently catch multiple passes in a game" thing.

I disagree with your fix. The entire point of a TE is to offer something in the passing and the running game. If a TE can't block they are just a slow receiver.

I agree with @IcyPatriot . I don't think MB offers enough as a WR to be worth signing if he can't block.

How many targets does he have? How many of those targets hit him in the numbers?
There are two reasons he has ~6 targets.

1) Brady doesn't like him as a receiver. Bad routes. Confidence. Trust. Better options, etc.
2) Gronk is healthy

Seeing that this team is down to three healthy receivers, having an additional target TB12 has confidence in might be something they need to seriously consider.

Sign Marty, put Dwayne Allen in a rocket and shoot him to the moon.

Or worse yet. Ship him back to the pill popping owner....., their "let's line everyone up on one side of the line of scrimmage" on 4th down and then "hike the ball the place kickers holder" coach.....,and their 'deflated' brainless fanbase. Actually no......even Dwayne Allen doesn't deserve that humiliation.

There are two reasons he has ~6 targets.

1) Brady doesn't like him as a receiver. Bad routes. Confidence. Trust. Better options, etc.
2) Gronk is healthy

Seeing that this team is down to three healthy receivers, having an additional target TB12 has confidence in might be something they need to seriously consider.

Allen didn't get targets in the TB game when Gronk was out.

I would assume the Packers are going to go after the money they gave Bennett, maybe that would motivate him not to retire as he had said. Having the 2 headed beast brothers back would be great, obviously.

Not sure what will happen with waivers, but is his injury real or did he just quit after Rodgers went down?

I disagree with your fix. The entire point of a TE is to offer something in the passing and the running game. If a TE can't block they are just a slow receiver.

I agree with @IcyPatriot . I don't think MB offers enough as a WR to be worth signing if he can't block.

The Patriots already have a TE3 who can't block, so I'm not sure what you're actually disagreeing with.

I would love to have him back if he can get healthy. But I don't think I could justify giving up a fith round pick to rent a guy for a few games.
Why would he cost us a pick? I thought the acquiring team just loses the comp pick. What am i missing?

The Patriots already have a TE3 who can't block, so I'm not sure what you're actually disagreeing with.

1. I did not know Hollister could not block. TIL. Hyperbole?
2. Hollister is likely quicker than MB. He might have more value as a pure receiving threat.
3. A "move TE" & an "H-back" still have some value in the run game. Just less relative to a TE & a FB.
4. Hollister has 6.7% of offensive snaps. Lets assume he is bad at blocking as you claim. Do we want 2 TEs that can't block? Are you saying we cut him for MB?

Last edited:
Why would he cost us a pick? I thought the acquiring team just loses the comp pick. What am i missing?

National Football League Draft - Wikipedia

Using a proprietary formula, the league defines a class of unrestricted free agents as "compensatory free agents ("CFA"). Teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year receive picks somewhere in the third through seventh rounds.[60] Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the others.

So, if I am reading this right: we might get a worse pick if we sign a FA. Other people know more on this and can clarify further.

1. I did not know Hollister could not block. TIL. Hyperbole?
2. Hollister is likely quicker than MB. He might have more value as a pure receiving threat.
3. A "move TE" & an "H-back" still have some value in the run game. Just less relative to a TE & a FB.
4. Hollister has 6.7% of offensive snaps. Lets assume he is bad at blocking as you claim. Do we want 2 TEs that can't block? Are you saying we cut him for MB?

I'm not going to be leading any "Sign Marty!!!!" parades, and I can understand the argument not to bring him back, but:

Hollister has 3 catches in 8 games, Allen has 0 catches in 8 games, and Bennett, who had 55 receptions for the Patriots last year, has 24 receptions in 7 games for the Packers this year, and has caught 3 or more passes in 5 of those 7 games.

Who gets moved/cut isn't my concern. Neither backup TE currently on the team is worth worrying over at their current level of play. Bringing in Bennett would be a reasonable move, assuming his shoulder's not a complete loss for the season. Without us knowing more, it's not really a definitively good/bad decision either way.

Last edited:
Hollister has 3 catches in 8 games, Allen has 0 catches in 8 games, and Bennett, who had 55 receptions for the Patriots last year, has 24 receptions in 7 games for the Packers this year, and has caught 3 or more passes in 5 of those 7 games.

Who gets moved/cut isn't my concern. Neither backup TE currently on the team is worth worrying over at their current level of play.

I get where you are coming from. I just think we want 2 blocking TEs on the game-day team. If Hollister is in fact inadequate as a true blocking TE, and MB can't block anymore, it might make him pretty hard to sign. His shoulder injury is a big deal IMO.

Sorry if my tone was too argumentative!

Are teams allowed to contact a player & speak with them prior to submitting a waiver claim for them? I tried to Google this, but a bunch of fantasy football garbage came up instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe