PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Martellus Bennett : [UPDATE: Placed on IR]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the Blount Cycle all over again a-hahahahaha

So when is Blount coming back?
Man I’d be thrilled with that ! Chemistry means so much to a team, having Marty back helps in so many ways (talent AND chemistry). Getting Blount back would be amazing. Happy enough with Bennett though.

My question isn't so much that Mary is coming back, but rather why claim him on the waiver wire. So we have to ask the question who is behind the Pats on the waiver wire list. I'm guessing only the Eagles and Pittsburgh, though I might be wrong. So if that's the case, do either have a need for an injured TE who is going to retire at the end of the season?

Another question is, IIRC, the Pats are now going to loss a 5th round comp pick for the right to have Bennett for about 6 games (I don't expect Bennett to be healthy for the next 2 weeks) If we had signed him as a FA after him going through waivers, I don't think we would have lost that comp pick

Miguel at BSJ gave a great view of what the cap consequences of signing him means. IIRC we only have to pay about half his salary with the Packers and that means about $500K. We are also on the hook for several million starting next year, but NONE of that money is guaranteed. So if he does retire after this season or the Pats release him, about $500K is what he's going to cost on this year's cap space....which is nothing.

It will be interesting to see what corresponding moves the Pats will make to create a roster spot and how he will fit into the offensive strategy. Will we carry 4 TE's.

BTW- DI is correct. Allen is the better blocker to begin with, and the gap is even bigger now given Bennett's shoulder issues, which seem chronic. So lets forget about that comparison. Bennett is back to improve the red zone offense PERIOD. He's back to be a receiver more than just a 2 way TE.

I like that Bennett is coming back. I wish we hadn't lost that comp pick in the process, because I don't think it was necessary.
Whos Mary?:)

marty says he’s likely to retire at the end of the season so the pats get him for 8 games and the playoffs for cheap $

There were already reports that he was changing his mind about that days ago

Right after he got cut I texted my only packers friend Bennett back to NE??, he just alerted me on this news.

Glad Marty is back, the 2 headed monster is alive once again.
marty-3.gif
2usy2gx.png

Best case scenario:cool:

1. Bennett plays significant snaps for Pats.
2. Pats get significant 2018 cap credit after GB files and wins grievance.
(up to significant part of $6.3M signing bonus prorated over 3 yrs)
3. Pats get 4th or 5th comp pick for a FA lost that plays for them.
(by claiming him he never became a new FA)
__
net cost of this purchase: $336.177

*can't really make sense of it myself but those could be the rules..
if it actually happens someone will freak out..

Last edited:
Also, it's perfect timing, too. The Patriots are playing @ Denver this Sunday Night; and it was Von Miller's 2015 playoff performance against NE that really made Belichick acquire Bennett in 2016 FA.

Best case scenario:cool:

1. Bennett plays significant snaps for Pats.
2. Pats get significant 2018 cap credit after GB files and wins grievance.
3. Pats get the 4th or 5th comp pick for a FA lost that plays for them.
__
net cost of this purchase: $336.177

*can't really make sense of it myself but those could be the rules..
if it actually happens someone will freak out..

I don't understand this. What is the grievance GB would be filing for? The Signing bonus? So who gets the signing bonus money? GB or Pats? Or does GB get the 2017 season pr0-ration and Pats get the 2018/2019 pro-ration of the signing bonus?

Fine if he retires. Probably what the Patriots are planning - they probably don't want his salary next year anyway. They can make other plans. But terrific for the playoffs this year.

Another RB is the last thing we need. One of our deepest positional groups.
I agree, but personally I’m not wowed by Gillislee, still think Blount is the better back. Know it’s not gonna happen, but I like Blount much more. I know he struggled in SBs and some playoff games, but he’s a battering ram that wears down teams, and boy is he playing well this year (when given a chance).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe