PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney is not the back many thought he would be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the problem...
In Maroney's first game last year, he showed flashes of brilliance. And it instantly raised our expectations of him. Coming into the season, he was expected to be a #2 behind Dillon. After that first game, we were expecting him to be a top RB.
Then he hasn't quite met those expectations (isn't reliable in short, 'must have' yards, possibly injury-prone).
So ppl knock him down.
However, if before the start of last season, you said Maroney would do exactly what he's done so far, everyone would've gladly taken it...

Based on what? If there is a RB that is too good to pass up in the draft, than why wouldn't they draft him? There is nobody on this team that is guaranteed to start unless it is Tom Brady. Glass is by no means a LOCK to be the featured back on this team next year.

Idiots like yourself who think Maroney is glass need to STFU and realize that the Pats are treating ALL INJURIES with kids gloves. If you don't think so, its just more proof that you aren't really following the team.

The fact remains that thru 20 career games, Glass has a whopping total of 13 career 1st down runs, a long gain of only 31, a pedestrian 6 TD's, 24 receptions, 231 yards receiving, and 1184 yards rushing on 264 carries. If that's a player you guys are happy with, than god bless ya. I, for one, am simply not that impressed and frankly want this team to look hard and long at drafting another RB in the 1st Rd to add another dimension to this team that we simply do NOT have............a back capable of TAKING OVER A GAME and being a DIFFERENCE MAKER!

So, let me get this straight about Maroney.

1) He sucks because he's got a 4.48 YPC
2) He sucks because BB switched blocking schemes to accommodate his skill set and the O-line is still adjusting.
3) He sucks because he has more receptions in the 20 games he's played than he did in almost his entire 3 years of college...
4) He split carries with Dillon in his first year.
5) Because you think he should have more TDs than he does.
6) Because YOU are clueless about the game, you judge Maroney as if he's supposed to be an ELITE RB in the mold of Sanders, LdT, or even Walter Payton.

Sounds to me like you are the problem, not Maroney.

you idiot, the question is whether or not he's a real #1 back and the future RB of this team for years to come. NOT whether he's more or less a bust than D'brickashaw Ferguson, or who ever.

NTC - Considering how much of an imbecile you are, you can't tell the difference anyways.

In case you missed it, the dynamic of the NFL RB has changed. Very few teams have one #1 RB. Many teams have #1a and #1B now.

Maroney was showing that he was very good before he got injured. And the Pats were using Morris as a short-yardage back. Is that really Maroney's fault? No. Its not. And you're stupid for thinking it is.

The fact remains that thru 20 career games, Glass has a whopping total of 13 career 1st down runs, a long gain of only 31, a pedestrian 6 TD's, 24 receptions, 231 yards receiving, and 1184 yards rushing on 264 carries. If that's a player you guys are happy with, than god bless ya. I, for one, am simply not that impressed and frankly want this team to look hard and long at drafting another RB in the 1st Rd to add another dimension to this team that we simply do NOT have............a back capable of TAKING OVER A GAME and being a DIFFERENCE MAKER!

Here's more stats...

1,413 yards on 353 carries...14 TDs....4.0 average....through first 20 games...48 recepts...362 yards...7.5 average...receiving stats through 27 games....goes by the name of Walter Payton.

Christ, get a life, will you?

NTC - Considering how much of an imbecile you are, you can't tell the difference anyways.

In case you missed it, the dynamic of the NFL RB has changed. Very few teams have one #1 RB. Many teams have #1a and #1B now.

Maroney was showing that he was very good before he got injured. And the Pats were using Morris as a short-yardage back. Is that really Maroney's fault? No. Its not. And you're stupid for thinking it is.

I don't take the view that Maroney is a bust. But I think he might be better in a platoon. Which is why McFadden makes sense. McFadden as 1A and Maroney at 1B would be a great duo that could easily be better than the pair of 1,000 yard backs that the 72 Dolphins sported.

I wouldn't say that Maroney is 'made of glass' but he has missed time due to injury both years. I Like the idea of McFadden in Patriots uniform because he upgrades the RB position and serves as a good insurance policy in case Maroney goes down.

Too soon to draw any definitive judgements on Maroney.

question now, who do we get in draft or fa?

Nobody. You're on an island.

Maroney may not be at the highest level, but he's certainly the next tier, with the possibility of breaking through at times. He and Sammy Morris are a dynamite combination. What the hell have you been watching?

Maroney is a good team guy who picks up the blitz and has decent hands.

You're a victim of hype. Make your adjustment now.

you idiot, the question is whether or not he's a real #1 back and the future RB of this team for years to come. NOT whether he's more or less a bust than D'brickashaw Ferguson, or who ever.

Who is the idiot here?

The person who is trying to pass negative judgement on a 22 year old that the team is very high on while virtually every statistic also indicates he is a good player?

Or the person who is preaching patience and who recognizes that even first rounders need time to develop?

The choice seems pretty clear from this vantage point.

If you want the truth about Maroney, click here.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. Hester is a better kick returner, and is a maven in coverage on special teams. He also makes a pretty good option on offense (where he has more TDs this year than Maroney). I'd say he's been at least as valuable to the Bears as Maroney has been to the Patriots. And I like Maroney.

Devin Hester's career KO returns:

2006 - 20 528 26.4
2007 - 22 503 22.9

Maroney's KO returns

2006 - 28 783 28

How is Hester better at that task?

Also, Hester fumbles at a significant rate.

I can imagine the following conversation:

{ring, ring}

"Scott Pioli."

"Hello, Scott? This is Jerry Angelo. How are you doing?"

"Fine Jerry. What can I do for you?"

"I'll get right to it. I have a proposal for you. Hester for Maroney, straight up."

{stunned silence}

"Scott? You still there?"

"Good one Jerry {chuckles}. Now, seriously, why where you calling? I mean, you aren't serious are you?"

Hester isn't even close to Maroney's level. The only reason that Hester has been as important as he has been is because the Chicago offense can't score on its own.

Who is the idiot here?

The person who is trying to pass negative judgement on a 22 year old that the team is very high on while virtually every statistic also indicates he is a good player?

Or the person who is preaching patience and who recognizes that even first rounders need time to develop?

The choice seems pretty clear from this vantage point.

It amazes me away how people are ready to throw Maroney on the scrap heap. I'll admit, at this point, I'm disappointed in the returns on him so far, but I am willing to accept him as an semi-explosive back running in tandem with another solid back like Morris. If he stays healthy, he could absolutely have a great end of the season as the Pats will most likely probably start to hit the short routes and ground game as the weather turns.

It amazes me away how people are ready to throw Maroney on the scrap heap. I'll admit, at this point, I'm disappointed in the returns on him so far, but I am willing to accept him as an semi-explosive back running in tandem with another solid back like Morris. If he stays healthy, he could absolutely have a great end of the season as the Pats will most likely probably start to hit the short routes and ground game as the weather turns.

Its not alot of people. In fact, its probably 1 guy using 3 screen names.

Fellas. Dont let the attention deficit of one guy overly pluck your nerves. Its always enjoyable to counter an adversary on these kindof debates. But applying logic hasnt been working because logic is not what the counter craves. Just keep that in mind. Anyone with sense understands Maroney is a young, established, and relatively productive RB just playing his role on an unbeaten team. And all of that's a good thing. There's nothing more to really be concerend with.

Fellas. Dont let the attention deficit of one guy overly pluck your nerves. Its always enjoyable to counter an adversary on these kindof debates. But applying logic hasnt been working because logic is not what the counter craves. Just keep that in mind. Anyone with sense understands Maroney is a young, established, and relatively productive RB just playing his role on an unbeaten team. And all of that's a good thing. There's nothing more to really be concerend with.
It doesn't bother me at all. The kid is in his 2nd year and these last 7 games could be his biggest contribution yet. Even if he doesn't, I feel good about Morris and Maroney sharing the load for a few seasons together.

Maybe we should see what Sedrick Shaw is doing?

With Dillon gone and a full year under his belt, this was supposed to be Maroney's break out season. That's not happening. Average backs don't magically transform themselves into good ones based on years of experience. Think about it: it's usually obvious in a back's rookie season if they have potential or not. And in their 2nd year it's clear one way or the other. So this whole notion of "give the kid a chance he's only a sophomore" is a bunch of nonsense. He's an "RB" not "QB", only the latter of which an "experience" argument can be made at this point.

Priest Holmes says hi...

You are right.

To Ignore they go! :rocker: :rocker:

With Dillon gone and a full year under his belt, this was supposed to be Maroney's break out season. That's not happening. Average backs don't magically transform themselves into good ones based on years of experience. Think about it: it's usually obvious in a back's rookie season if they have potential or not. And in their 2nd year it's clear one way or the other. So this whole notion of "give the kid a chance he's only a sophomore" is a bunch of nonsense. He's an "RB" not "QB", only the latter of which an "experience" argument can be made at this point.
What are you basing this generalization on? Do you have a list of stats for RB's that can back up this statement?

Last edited:

just get your meds in early today. that's all I ask.

ever think if he got more carries that with is 4.7 ypc..he could easily be top 5 in rushing?

why not more carries? WHY WHEN WE HAVE WATSON-MOSS-STALLWORTH-WELKER-BRADY

we spread it out and pass. Maroney is doing fine..hes doing good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes