PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Market for Bennett?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping they'll get Hightower signed before FA so they can franchise MB. Hightower knows it's either a long-term deal or the franchise tag, so I hope he takes the deal, even if it isn't as astronomical as an open market one. He has no chance of hitting the open market, though, so that's a moot point.

How much would it cost to place the franchise tag on bennett?

How much would it cost to place the franchise tag on bennett?

$9M. Thing is, if they franchised Bennett, he would almost certainly agree to an extension. He is 30 years old and is at the risk of another injury or "bad chemistry" year, whereby he'd be a 31 year old FA with huge question marks and on the downside of his career.

$9M. Thing is, if they franchised Bennett, he would almost certainly agree to an extension. He is 30 years old and is at the risk of another injury or "bad chemistry" year, whereby he'd be a 31 year old FA with huge question marks and on the downside of his career.

Ok. How much are you willing to give hightower? We will lose some of these free agents. It's a matter of how we replace them. That's why i would ask for more than multiple picks for jimmy g

Ok. How much are you willing to give hightower? We will lose some of these free agents. It's a matter of how we replace them. That's why i would ask for more than multiple picks for jimmy g

We already did lose free agents...Chandler Jones and Jamie Colllins, two major, star free agents, just a year in advance. No reason to think the Patriots can't keep the guys they want with over $60M in cap space. They aren't going to be dumb and overpay crazy numbers, but they'll be willing to pay something near market for Hightower and Bennett. I think both players are very important to this team, and if they can either one to sign a deal before FA, they can franchise the other one. My guess is Bennett will not be the one to do that, as he will want to be a FA and get a huge pay day. Hightower on the other hand, we'll see, but I think the Patriots will make him a really big offer before free agency, and he declines, they will franchise him and then extend in the season. In that scenario, though, they lose Bennett.

He's easily the best free agent TE on the market:

NFL1000: Free-Agent Rankings for the 2017 TE Market

TE franchise cost for next season is probably lower than it should be - estimated around $9.9m, but still likely too rich for the Pats. The next cheapest tag is RB at around $12.4m and it goes up from there.

We already did lose free agents...Chandler Jones and Jamie Colllins, two major, star free agents, just a year in advance. No reason to think the Patriots can't keep the guys they want with over $60M in cap space. They aren't going to be dumb and overpay crazy numbers, but they'll be willing to pay something near market for Hightower and Bennett. I think both players are very important to this team, and if they can either one to sign a deal before FA, they can franchise the other one. My guess is Bennett will not be the one to do that, as he will want to be a FA and get a huge pay day. Hightower on the other hand, we'll see, but I think the Patriots will make him a really big offer before free agency, and he declines, they will franchise him and then extend in the season. In that scenario, though, they lose Bennett.

I would give him the same identical contract as collins. I think it's fair enough. I expect us to lose logan ryan. I think he can be replace even though he has surprised me with his play. It's gonna suck.

He's going to cash in elsewhere big-time and I'll be happy for him.

He's going to cash in elsewhere big-time and I'll be happy for him.

Do you think his production will go up elsewhere. I know he battled an injury but we have seen guys leave and their production goes down. This place has been perfect for free agents to cash in it seems. Who will be next? Floyd? Someone else they bring in for one year.

I would give him the same identical contract as collins. I think it's fair enough. I expect us to lose logan ryan. I think he can be replace even though he has surprised me with his play. It's gonna suck.

I would too, but he is better than Collins. Hightower is a legit NFL star bordering on superstar. He is going to be expensive. Patriots will break the bank for players, provided they really are the one of the very best at their position (McCourty, Mankins, Seymour, Wilfork, Mayo.) Hightower is one of those guys. Guarantee the Patriots end up signing him to a huge deal before FA (hence, Bennett gets tagged), or they will franchise Hightower. They won't let Hightower walk.

The two teams I expect him to sign with equally the most are here and Seattle. Not sure which is more likely. Could also see him being a Raven.

Seattle already has Jimmy Graham for $10M in 2017. He could be cut, sure, but if they don't, I can't imagine them shelling out big for Marty too.

The top TEs are in the $9M/year range (Gronk, Kelce, Reed). Graham is the only one to hit $10M, but that was a terrible contract when it was done a few years ago by New Orleans.

Older TEs like Marty include Greg Olsen and Jason Witten, who are just north of $7M. Marty turned down an extension for $7M/year, so figure close to $8M/year, and it might just come down to number of years.

Seattle already has Jimmy Graham for $10M in 2017. He could be cut, sure, but if they don't, I can't imagine them shelling out big for Marty too.

The top TEs are in the $9M/year range (Gronk, Kelce, Reed). Graham is the only one to hit $10M, but that was a terrible contract when it was done a few years ago by New Orleans.

Older TEs like Marty include Greg Olsen and Jason Witten, who are just north of $7M. Marty turned down an extension for $7M/year, so figure close to $8M/year, and it might just come down to number of years.
It depends how you view Bennett. On the Patriots, he's clearly the #2 and I doubt he gets paid like a #1 here. Elsewhere, he would be the #1 but do you want to invest that type of money in him given what's occurred with Revis?

They have to let him walk, it's impossible to pay him more than Gronk.

They can draft a 2nd TE or someone like Julius Thomas will probably be cut from Jacksonville, he's soft but he'd be ok as a 2nd option for cheap money if you're desperate.

It depends how you view Bennett. On the Patriots, he's clearly the #2 and I doubt he gets paid like a #1 here. Elsewhere, he would be the #1 but do you want to invest that type of money in him given what's occurred with Revis?

I like bennett but i wonder if he's going to be putting up these stats elsewhere. Someone will overpay and i don't think his production will merit it. I am gonna say that right now.

They have to let him walk, it's impossible to pay him more than Gronk.

They can draft a 2nd TE or someone like Julius Thomas will probably be cut from Jacksonville, he's soft but he'd be ok as a 2nd option for cheap money if you're desperate.

I love gronk but right now he has no leverage because of his injuries.

He's easily the best free agent TE on the market:

NFL1000: Free-Agent Rankings for the 2017 TE Market

TE franchise cost for next season is probably lower than it should be - estimated around $9.9m, but still likely too rich for the Pats. The next cheapest tag is RB at around $12.4m and it goes up from there.

Graham will be on the market, I think. He has ZERO dead money and will be a $10m hit.

If I'm Seattle, I dump Graham for Bennett in a heartbeat. They want to run the ball and Graham blocks like...well...

Plus, his brother's there and they're close.

I love gronk but right now he has no leverage because of his injuries.

He does have leverage, every player has the leverage of holding out and forcing you to trade or cut him.

Players can pout their way off of any team in the NFL if they want to.

He does have leverage, every player has the leverage of holding out and forcing you to trade or cut him.

Players can pout their way off of any team in the NFL if they want to.

Well we know anything's possible with this franchise. I think bennett will regret leaving a good situation just like mevis did but he won't get paid lile mevis. He literally robbed the jests lol

I understand what you're saying and I'm not disagreeing. But this isn't about what I would do, but rather what I think others will do.

The free agent market is insane. His market value is below $7M. Spotrac actually added a market value prediction and put it at 3 years, $18M. I think that's what he is worth.

But he apparently turned that down, and I could see a team going above and beyond. There's just too much money, and not enough talent at the position.

I understand what you're saying and I'm not disagreeing. But this isn't about what I would do, but rather what I think others will do.

The free agent market is insane. His market value is below $7M. Spotrac actually added a market value prediction and put it at 3 years, $18M. I think that's what he is worth.

But he apparently turned that down, and I could see a team going above and beyond. There's just too much money, and not enough talent at the position.
I think we're of a similar mindset. I agree contracts basically come down to the ceiling one team sets and everything else works itself out around that, it's more an acknowledgement that I can't see the Patriots breaking the bank for Bennett. They reserve those contracts for younger, in-house developed players.

Yeah, there's definitely a market for him.

Giants
Ravens
Dolphins
Seattle

Over The Cap has the Giants with only about $24 million in cap space for 2017. That spending spree last year is going to limit them this year.

EDIT: MIA, BAL and SEA aren't much better off at $30 million, $15 million and $28 million, respectively.

By way of contrast, the Pats are projected at $65 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST