PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mark my words: If we rush the ball at least 30 times we will win the Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark my words: That WILL NOT happen. Sorry, but the Pats are just not that kind of offense and BoB is not that kind of play-caller.

And that's THE problem.
The Patriots could have and should have run it more yesterday. They almost blew the game because they just can't get away from being the N.E. Colts.
The Patriots are very capable of running the ball quite effectively.
They choose not to.
Pats could have and should have run the ball much more against the Jets in the playoffs last year and did blow that game because these N.E. Colts simply refuse to take what the defense is giving them.
The Patriots will beat the Giants by playing smart, patient, ball control offense. If they continue to play like they're the Greatest Show On Turf they will lose to the Giants.

Spread them out, make them declare, hit the hot read.
But the Giants don't figure to blitz, they expect to rush 4 and get pressure that way.
This is where the Pats are 100 times better prepare to attack them than in 2007. In 2007 the passing game, and the deep ball had become so dominant that the offense revolved around slow developing pass plays. Even Welker woud run all the way across the formation to catch a lot of his passes.
This offense is built to put pressure on the defense with the quick developing pass, that is, the one that NEGATES A PASS RUSH.
When have we really struggled to keep a pass rush out long enough for the plays to develop this year? About the only time it happens is on 3rd and long when we need the deeper patterns.

Oh really? Then what exactly were all of those stunts they were running the past few weeks that I saw?

I'm surprised there's not more support for the run game.

Chris Canty - 316
JPP - 278
Osi - 255
Tuck - 268

If the Giants are going to run that line out there we need to smash them in the mouth and with a big dose of BGJE.

I'm surprised there's not more support for the run game.

Chris Canty - 316
JPP - 278
Osi - 255
Tuck - 268

If the Giants are going to run that line out there we need to smash them in the mouth and with a big dose of BGJE.

I'd agree, wear down those pass rushers

I think he will. I think yestarday was a clear case of punishment.
Faulk barely played, and it wasn't Ridley or another RB it was Ridley or Jones, Koutividis, Brace, etc, etc, the 45th guy, and that 45th wasnt as valuable as Ridley would have been even if he only spelled BJGE for 5-6 snaps.

I don't see Ridley playing. Not a case of punishment. A case of lack of trust in a big game, the Biggest Stage in fact. ask the Niners if they trust Martin returning kicks.

it's really a shame Ridley wasn't so fumble prone right now. this would be a huge opportunity for him against a small line.

I think this premise is off. Sure, San Francisco beat the Giants and rushed the ball 20 times, but they also lost to the Giants when rushing 28 times.

The Giants beat:

- Arizona, who rushed 32 times for 156 yards and 3 TDs.
- Buffalo, who rushed 23 times for 155 yards and 1 TD.
- Miami, who rushed 26 times for 145 yards and 2 TDs.
- New England, who rushed 24 times for 106 yards and 0 TDs.
- Dallas, who rushed 24 times for 139 yards and 0 TDs.
- NY Jets, who rushed 25 times for 105 yards and 1 TD.

Yes, the Eagles won and rushed 33 times. They also rushed the ball 40 times for 177 yards and a TD in the first game and lost to the Giants. They turned the ball over 3 times though, which is a much better indicator of wins.

In the regular season, they went 0-5 when losing the turnover battle, 9-2 when they were even or won the turnover battle. In the play-offs, they were even in the first play-off game against Atlanta, and won the turnover battle in their other two wins, 3-0 when they don't turn the ball over more than their opponent.

Last edited:
It's as simple as that. So far in the playoffs against the Giants Atlanta, Green Bay, and San Francisco ran the ball against them 21, 23, and 28 times respectively. SF almost managed to beat them.

Lets look at the Giants 7 losses during the regular season:
Washington - 26 rushes
Seattle - 29 rushes
San Francisco - 20 rushes
Philadelphia - 33 rushes
New Orleans - 30 rushes
Green Bay - 28 rushes
Washington #2 - 40 rushes

While not every single game they lost supports my argument you can certainly see a trend. Everyone knew going into the season that the Giants vulnerability was the run game due to injuries and lack of experience at the LB positions. All of a sudden teams decided to stop attacking this.

We have two All-Pro Guards, two great TEs that can block, a Center who has really surprised a lot of us, an RB that knows how to run hard and another RB that is small and elusive. If we don't run the ball that just lets Umenyiora, Tuck, and Pierre-Paul pin their ears back. By running the ball 30+ times we can make them pay for over-pursuing and also set up our passing game. This will also wear out their defense for later in the game and at which point we can really start throwing the ball.

It's time to go old-school in this one, folks. Beat the Giants with the type of game that they used to win championships back in the day. I'm setting the number at 20 rushes. If we have 20 rushes by half time we can do whatever we want to their defense in the second half.

u might as well bring stats up from the 2010 giants as well. We haven't been fully healthy until the Jets game. While you guys seemed to have turned a corner defensively, we've turned an even bigger corner since then.

Taking the air out of the ball and having a lower scoring game def benefits the Giants

Spread them out, make them declare, hit the hot read.
But the Giants don't figure to blitz, they expect to rush 4 and get pressure that way.
This is where the Pats are 100 times better prepare to attack them than in 2007. In 2007 the passing game, and the deep ball had become so dominant that the offense revolved around slow developing pass plays. Even Welker woud run all the way across the formation to catch a lot of his passes.
This offense is built to put pressure on the defense with the quick developing pass, that is, the one that NEGATES A PASS RUSH.
When have we really struggled to keep a pass rush out long enough for the plays to develop this year? About the only time it happens is on 3rd and long when we need the deeper patterns.

I keep dreaming that Ocho is going to catch a bomb in the Super Bowl for the game winning score.

I also had a nightmare where he pulled a Lee Evans that cost NE the game.

It's as simple as that. So far in the playoffs against the Giants Atlanta, Green Bay, and San Francisco ran the ball against them 21, 23, and 28 times respectively. SF almost managed to beat them.

Lets look at the Giants 7 losses during the regular season:
Washington - 26 rushes
Seattle - 29 rushes
San Francisco - 20 rushes
Philadelphia - 33 rushes
New Orleans - 30 rushes
Green Bay - 28 rushes
Washington #2 - 40 rushes

While not every single game they lost supports my argument you can certainly see a trend. Everyone knew going into the season that the Giants vulnerability was the run game due to injuries and lack of experience at the LB positions. All of a sudden teams decided to stop attacking this.

We have two All-Pro Guards, two great TEs that can block, a Center who has really surprised a lot of us, an RB that knows how to run hard and another RB that is small and elusive. If we don't run the ball that just lets Umenyiora, Tuck, and Pierre-Paul pin their ears back. By running the ball 30+ times we can make them pay for over-pursuing and also set up our passing game. This will also wear out their defense for later in the game and at which point we can really start throwing the ball.

It's time to go old-school in this one, folks. Beat the Giants with the type of game that they used to win championships back in the day. I'm setting the number at 20 rushes. If we have 20 rushes by half time we can do whatever we want to their defense in the second half.

To further support your idea that PATs should run it a lot:

Just looking at some stats

Code:
Team           Ave offense yards/carry               Ave yard/carry allowed
                    during Regular Season                     in Post Season
                  of Teams faced in Playoffs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Giants     |           4.0 yds/carry                |         5.0 yds/Carry               
PATS       |           4.5 yds/carry               |          3.7 yds/Carry
PATs offense averaged 4.0 yds/carry in regular season
So could PATs' offense average 5.0 yds/carry against Giants?

IMO if PATs run it 30 times it will because it is working.
I don't believe their game plan will be " we will run it 30 times"

I do believe if they see something working they may do it more
until Giants adjust.( if they can)

Last edited:
That's because when you have the lead you rush the ball more. If we have the lead before the clock strikes 0 we can also win the Super Bowl and rush 30 times:D

Mark my words: If everyone does their job well, there are no penalties and the Pats commit no turnovers we will win this game.

I don't see Ridley playing. Not a case of punishment. A case of lack of trust in a big game, the Biggest Stage in fact. ask the Niners if they trust Martin returning kicks.
Who is Martin?
If it were not a punishment, he would have been active and not gotten the ball. There were active players who were less necessary than a backup RB. What would we have done if BJGE got reinjured? We had no other true RB active. And by punishment I also mean sending a message and teaching a lesson.

My theory is that if Brady (not the Pats, just Brady) does not commit a turnover, this team has what it takes to pull out a win even if things are not going so good. When Brady throws a pick or worse - fumbles, it deflates the whole team and particularly himself. I have a feeling he is going to throw a pick at some point, though. How he recovers will determine the outcome.

Mark my words: If everyone does their job well, there are no penalties and the Pats commit no turnovers we will win this game.

That's not a very risky prediction there considering that's usually the case for just about every NFL team.;)

I'll do you one better. Mark my words: If everything you mentioned happens, it will be a blowout. I don't expect any of those things to happen from the Giants if they don't fix their issues in two weeks. They made way too many mistakes against the 49ers and failed to capitalize on opportunities so if the Patriots play like you ask, they'll have plenty of freebies from the Giants.

And if the Giants do play sloppy, I don't just want a win. I'm not interested in a close and heart pumping game. I want a freaking blowout. I want it to be over in the third quarter. I want it to be 35-10 like in the third quarter when New Orleans played them and then score another 14 points in the 4th quarter while they try to put on a show.

If they choke and shoot themselves in the foot, no mercy. I don't wanna hear about being classy. No whining. No crying. I want a definitive win, non-stop, scoring down their throats every single chance they get until that clock hits 0-0. Even if they are up 50-0 at half time, I want them to try to make it 70-0 by the end of the game.

Last edited:
Hasn't the "establish the run" myth been beaten to death already.

Most teams throw the ball more when they are behind then when they are winning.

Yes, if we run the ball 30 times we will win the game especially if the last 15 of those running plays are in the last 10 minutes of the 4th quarter with a 21 point lead.

...or three kneel-downs as the game clock reaches all-goose-eggs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back