PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mark me down for wanting......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished reading the write-up, the only real knock on him from a Pats' perspective is blocking, not that the twig moved a lot of LBs out. I love that he was used as a CB when the team needed help there in his sophomore season. I can see a kid like this fitting into the Pats' program alongside Gaffney and Caldwell, he'll learn to block better and can contribute right away on Special Teams. He's also another emergency DB.

i admittedly havent seen much of him
but i started researching him a lil bit last month after i saw his stats and his rd prediction
def would like to know more and see more of him

nah, this has nothing to do with 40 times. I've watched him for his career here at Wazzu, all he does is catch TD, (32 times in his career). He can cut on a dime. He caught Gruden's eye at the Senior Bowl with his blocking skills, something a lot of WR don't do.

where's he going? end of first or 2nd?

Anthony Gonzalez fans: he ran a 4.44/40, 38" vertical, and a 4.08 short shuttle.

Which compares to Reche Caldwell: 4.53/40, 41 1/2" vertical, and 4.10 short shuttle.

And Jabar Gaffney: 4.56/40 and 4.06 short shuttle

Anthony Gonzalez fans: he ran a 4.44/40, 38" vertical, and a 4.08 short shuttle.

Which compares to Reche Caldwell: 4.53/40, 41 1/2" vertical, and 4.10 short shuttle.

I'm convinced the Pats should be able to get a good wr in the 2nd round(maybe trade up like last year)?

There must be 10 or so wide receivers that I wouldn't mind seeing drafted by the Pats. I'm on the draft a wr in the 2nd round bandwagon...

Let's be careful of Hill. Yes, he and "The Blade" had wonderful 40 times. They also had substandard (relatively speaking) shuttle times. To be honest, right now my favorite WR would be Gonzalez, trading up into the mid second. He's just proving himself ultra-smooth. Quick and graceful.

I'm convinced the Pats should be able to get a good wr in the 2nd round(maybe trade up like last year)?

Yes to talent being available in round 2.

No to trading up. The Pats gave up 2 good picks (round 2 & a round 3) when they moved up to take Jackson. I have rather have more day one players to hedge against the bust factor.

I'd take Gonzalez with the 28th pick because of his attitude and intelligence as well as the measurables. You also failed to mention that Gonzalez had the top 3-cone drill time of 6.08.

I think the Pats take two and possibly three WR's in this draft ... it is that deep. Jackson is probably a PUP candidate and how much longer can we count on Troy Brown.

I could also see two Day One picks (Jason Hill). Doesn't BB always do what we don't expect! Keep an eye on Yamon Figurs WR/KR/ST from Kansas St. Top gunner in college. 5th WR needs to play ST's to keep a roster spot. He ran a blistering 4.3.

I'd take Gonzalez with the 28th pick because of his attitude and intelligence as well as the measurables. You also failed to mention that Gonzalez had the top 3-cone drill time of 6.08.

I think the Pats take two and possibly three WR's in this draft ... it is that deep. Jackson is probably a PUP candidate and how much longer can we count on Troy Brown.

I could also see two Day One picks (Jason Hill). Doesn't BB always do what we don't expect! Keep an eye on Yamon Figurs WR/KR/ST from Kansas St. Top gunner in college. 5th WR needs to play ST's to keep a roster spot. He ran a blistering 4.3.
Gently Mark, I didn't have the 3-cone datae when I posted this. I must agree with Dryheat on Hill, based on his ss & 3-cone some caution is warranted.

Last edited:
Let's be careful of Hill. Yes, he and "The Blade" had wonderful 40 times. They also had substandard (relatively speaking) shuttle times. To be honest, right now my favorite WR would be Gonzalez, trading up into the mid second. He's just proving himself ultra-smooth. Quick and graceful.

How is 4.22 substandard? The AVG rb last year was only 4.19? That is the difference between you and me running the stopwatch.

I am more intested in what Hill did in the 3 cone drill than the 20 yard shuttle.

I think you have your tmes mixed up. Gonzalez 3 cone was 6.54. His 20 yard shuttle was 4.08.

I don't see the Pats taking more than 1-2 WRs in this draft. I think they will sign a vet FA, draft 1-2, and then let them all fight it out with Kight and Childress.

I don't see the Pats taking more than 1-2 WRs in this draft. I think they will sign a vet FA, draft 1-2, and then let them all fight it out with Kight and Childress.

def 2 at the most
we need guys that can contribute now
which is why i def think we need to pick up at least one guy in fa that can contribute at least 40-50 catches in 07 in the likes of stallworth, curtis, or engram

How is 4.22 substandard? The AVG rb last year was only 4.19? That is the difference between you and me running the stopwatch.

I am more intested in what Hill did in the 3 cone drill than the 20 yard shuttle.

Well, I'm dealing with relatives instead of absolutes. When the guy puts up the 2nd fastest time of his group in the 40, then puts up the 8th best time of his group in the shuttles, I think that's telling.

And if a guy is below the average time, then yes, he is "substandard (relatively speaking)". He's below the average of NFL prospects. If he was .03 behind the elite group from last year, that would be one thing. But the average time from last year includes a bunch of guys that weren't drafted, many of which weren't quick enough. Being .03 behind last year's average is not a good thing. Not to mention you're comparing a lean WR to last years RBs. Hill should be well ahead of the RB average last year. How many fat fullback types pulled that average down?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference