PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mark me down for wanting......

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestpatsfan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Jason Hill, WR out of Washington State.

If we could nab him in the 2nd round I would be very happy. He is the perfect replacement for Deion Branch. He is lightning fast (4.32 40 at the combine) and catches everything thrown to him. He played great during senior bowl week. He runs great routes and could really be a go to guy for brady.

After his solid perfomance this offseason, not sure if he lasts until the latter part of the 2nd round now, but I sure would love it. I like him better than a lot of the guys who are projected as 1st rounders.

What do you guys think?

Sounds good to me. Lets not waste a #1 for a WR.

Sounds good to me. Lets not waste a #1 for a WR.

I actually started a thread in the main forum about not taking a WR with either of our 1st rounders because there are quality players that are going to be available in the 2nd and 3rd who have just as much talent as the guys grading out in the 1st. I did see Robert Meacham just ran a 4.36 though, that is impressive.

I loved his Senior Bowl interview too, he had that Branch sparkle personality that jumped right out at you. Steve Smith ran a 4.44, I believe, which was better than I expected from him.

Steve Smith ran a 4.44, I believe, which was better than I expected from him.
Smith is now listed as 4.37, that must have been his second time. I thought he would run a 4.55 type time. With this speed, I like him a lot. This is a nice, deep group of WR.

i was just about to post a thread on here about meachem and hill's imressive 40 performances
if hill is there in the second rd i def would nab him

jason hill 37 inch vertical
i think that stat is the most underrated wr stat for teh combine
very important as a wideout

be careful about 40 times. I think the biggest thing is how to indentify the immeasurables like work ethic, having a nose for the ball, and most importantly is he a football player?

could dwayne bowe be better because he's more physical and could use his body to shield people off?

be careful about 40 times. I think the biggest thing is how to indentify the immeasurables like work ethic, having a nose for the ball, and most importantly is he a football player?

could dwayne bowe be better because he's more physical and could use his body to shield people off?

nah, this has nothing to do with 40 times. I've watched him for his career here at Wazzu, all he does is catch TD, (32 times in his career). He can cut on a dime. He caught Gruden's eye at the Senior Bowl with his blocking skills, something a lot of WR don't do.

One of the things that Brady was stressing to his receivers last season was getting into their routes quicker. One of the things that the NFL scouts are stressing more and more is the 20 yard split. Colston last year had one of the fastest 20 yard splits. It goes back to being quick vs fast. It will be interesting to see the splits for the top guys.

I actually started a thread in the main forum about not taking a WR with either of our 1st rounders because there are quality players that are going to be available in the 2nd and 3rd who have just as much talent as the guys grading out in the 1st. I did see Robert Meacham just ran a 4.36 though, that is impressive.

Totally agree. It's the most loaded position in the draft -- Hill and Meacham, for instance, would have been competing to be the 1st WR off the board last year.

I was the biggest pain in the butt in the other thread, I agree with the idea that the WR class is deep and like some of the players in rounds 2-3(Hill, Higgins, Clowney, Gonzales) and even a few day 2 players (Jacoby Jones, Ryne Robinson [more a KR/PR and 5th WR], Jordan Kent, Paul Williams).

But don't think it is impossible to envision a scenario where a player like Ginn, Jarrett or Meachem are available at 24 and Bowe may be tempting at 28. These players have big time potential (and bust potential like all WRs) but they could be locked up for 5 years and be big time producers at a very expensive position for top end talent.

In any case I expect a WR on day 1 and maybe another late in day 2.

For WRs, there are two BIG tests remaining. The pass-catching drills and the cones.

The cones give people a really good indication on how the player can cut and keep their speed up. The pass catching drills shows the player's pass catching abilities.

Its too bad that David Ball didn't run. I think he will be in a 4.5 range and will make things interesting.

I do like Jason Hill so far, but I am not sold on Ginn or Meacham.

Walker out of Central Florida put up a 4.35 and reportedly was one of the higher receptions/game averages in the nation last season. Either his QB had one note or he was getting open...Ochmed, patchick, Dryheat44...any thoughts/observations?

Walker out of Central Florida put up a 4.35 and reportedly was one of the higher receptions/game averages in the nation last season. Either his QB had one note or he was getting open...Ochmed, patchick, Dryheat44...any thoughts/observations?

NFLDraftScout.com speaks highly of him regarding his ability to learn offenses as well as adjust during the game. Supposedly very good agility, great head fakes and a good hip wiggle.

The cons are that he supposedly lacks a 2nd gear and lacks bulk to fight off defenders.

Sounds like a good Pats player....

One interesting note is that his previous best in the 40 was in the 4.5 range.

NFLDraftScout.com speaks highly of him regarding his ability to learn offenses as well as adjust during the game. Supposedly very good agility, great head fakes and a good hip wiggle.

The cons are that he supposedly lacks a 2nd gear and lacks bulk to fight off defenders.

Sounds like a good Pats player....

One interesting note is that his previous best in the 40 was in the 4.5 range.
I could do with a whole heck of a lot less face time and a lot more camera time on the drills - NFL Network is too busy promoting their grab ***** announcers and colorful coaches, the fans and the players don't matter.

I've seen him. Thought he was more of an intermediate route runner with impressive athleticism and hands. Never saw that 4.35 speed though, although one would think he could stretch the field. Interesting that draftscout compares him to Greg Jennings (one of my favorite WRs last draft). IMO, he doesn't resemble him at all. They also state Jennings is faster. Nope. He ran a 4.42. Admittingly, I did see much more of Jennings.

Based on his solid production the last two seasons, and his measurables, he's worth a gamble on day two.

I've seen him. Thought he was more of an intermediate route runner with impressive athleticism and hands. Never saw that 4.35 speed though, although one would think he could stretch the field. Interesting that draftscout compares him to Greg Jennings (one of my favorite WRs last draft). IMO, he doesn't resemble him at all. They also state Jennings is faster. Nope. He ran a 4.42. Admittingly, I did see much more of Jennings.

Based on his solid production the last two seasons, and his measurables, he's worth a gamble on day two.
I just finished reading the write-up, the only real knock on him from a Pats' perspective is blocking, not that the twig moved a lot of LBs out. I love that he was used as a CB when the team needed help there in his sophomore season. I can see a kid like this fitting into the Pats' program alongside Gaffney and Caldwell, he'll learn to block better and can contribute right away on Special Teams. He's also another emergency DB.

I could do with a whole heck of a lot less face time and a lot more camera time on the drills - NFL Network is too busy promoting their grab ***** announcers and colorful coaches, the fans and the players don't matter.

i think the total access that follows it is actually better
just shows all the clips and not as much in between time
and btw, while were on the topic, mariucci should be nowhere near a tv camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST