PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the Patriots use their first pick for a WR, who do you like?

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I know that this is pure fantasy since the Patriots will probably trade back and eventually pick up a middling WR flop in a later round as they usually do, but let's pretend that they stay at 14 and draft a WR. Who do you like?

Jaxon Smith Njigba has the best 3-cone of any WRs (6.57) by far and the Patriots love guys like that. IIRC Edelman had an outstanding 3-cone (6.62).

Quentin Johnston is way too exciting and flashy for the Patriots to draft. He did not run the 40 or 3-cone at the Combine which is highly suspicious, but he appears to have great quickness for a big man. He is the classic big WR that draftnicks love and the Patriots hate! Johnston probably has an enormous ego also (I don't know for sure), but it comes with the turf, and we all know how BB feels about that.

Either one of these guys would give the Patriots a effective one-two punch with Thornton.

JSN or Zay Flowers

I really like QJ with the ball in his hands, but I'm worried about his hands. He catches the ball like someone has tossed him a priceless antique, it's all tense and unnatural. And for someone his size he should be far more dominant with contested catches, he should feed on them, but they're just not his forté.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he tears through the league and is an absolute beast. Nor would I be surprised if he's a complete bust. Therefore I'd be very wary of rolling the dice at 14.

To me none of this year WRs is worth pick 14th. However if I choose it would be JSN.

JSN or Zay Flowers

I really like QJ with the ball in his hands, but I'm worried about his hands. He catches the ball like someone has tossed him a priceless antique, it's all tense and unnatural. And for someone his size he should be far more dominant with contested catches, he should feed on them, but they're just not his forté.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he tears through the league and is an absolute beast. Nor would I be surprised if he's a complete bust. Therefore I'd be very wary of rolling the dice at 14.

Yes, good point about QJ; I saw some catches where the ball was not tucked away but was being held in the fingertips. He is a bit of gamble. JSN might be safer.

1. JSN
2. Flowers
3.No one. I want no part of Johnston

I'd definitely take Njigba first, followed by Addison. I like Addison, looks very dedicated.

Otherwise Wright, Jones, Harrison tackles or stud corner.

For the Patriots I think I would rank them in the order below, along with where I would take them. I really don't want Johnston or Hyatt though. Johnston, in particular, I think could be a Harry style bust. I think Flowers might be the best fit for us as someone who can move around the formation and play in the slot and perimeter. I feel the same about Addison. JSN might be the most talented player and I would love him but I worry he is too similar to JuJu. Not sure how that would work on offense. Downs might just be a slot guy but he could be a big play guy from the slot - he's surprisingly competitive on deep balls/50-50s for a guy his size. I haven't ranked themm but I like Tyler Scott too in the late 2nd/early 3rd. And I could see us taking Jonathan Mingo in the 3rd as a Parker replacement/backup on the boundary.

1. Flowers - mid 1st
2. JSN - mid 1st
3. Addison - late 1st
4. Downs - early 2nd
5. Johnston - mid 2nd
6. Hyatt - late 2nd/early 3rd
Scott and Mingo. Would happily take either in the 3rd.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back