PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mario Williams is now a Buffalo Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merriman's played in 26 games since 2007. He's got 5 sacks since 2007, and 4 of those were in 2008. Why should anyone be worried about Merriman right now?

Barnett's got 7 sacks in 45 games since 2007.

Sheppard's next sack will be his first.

Whoa wait so now it's the MLB's job to amass sacks?

How many sacks did the Pat's MLBs (or ILBs) rack up in '11? (not gonna bother to look it up, i suspect u mest know).

Do u value QB pressures or are they useless in your opinion?

...did you guys forget we have a guy named merriman?

Honestly man, I would not even factor Merriman into this equation. Guy needs to prove it first.

Expect Kelsay to start opposite MW. Figure if all 4 stay healthy (a big if, I know) and Kelsay is nothing more than his workmanlike self, this is the best DL in the AFCE and maybe even in the AFC overall.

However, none of that means jack until they actually do it. By "do it" I mean get to and hit QBs, force teams to keeps TEs and RBs in to block, come up with game plans to stop this group. Otherwise it's nothing more than "woulda coulda shoulda".

Too bad there is going to be anyone to save your team from moving to Canada.

I hated the Toronto series, but in hindsight, the Bills cleared $80 million in profit on the deal. They subsequently paid $50 million for the services of Mario Williams, a perfect fit for this D. I suppose if I have to give up a home game a year to get that kind of return every four years, I'll begrudgingly take it.

you are correct....we haven't had this much talent since 1999...

look up the bills history...look between the years 1985 to 1989....

now look up the history between 2008 and 2012...

You will find scary similarities...

GM Change
In Came Polian
In Came Nix

Coach Change
In Came Levy
In Came Gailey

Big name FA
Corneillus Bennett
Mario Edwards

First Round Draft Picks
Bruce Smith
Thurman Thomas - bills didn't have a first round pick that year..
Marcell Dareus
CJ Spiller

WR from no where...
Andre Reed..Kutztown
Stevie Johnson 7th round out of Kentucky..

History is repeating itself my friends....and it was all started by a decade of losing in both eras..

hmmm..."the years 1985 to 1989" and "since 1999"...confusing...two different teams, two different coaches, three different QB's...

The 1998 and 1999 teams had good regular seasons but were both one and done in the Playoffs under a very good but short term coach and with a revolving door at QB (three different starting QB's in three seasons under Phillips).

However, if what you meant to say (as I think you did) is that "the Bills are at a similar point now as they were in 1989 before they went on to win four consecutive AFC Championships," my response, using your format from above, would be that you left out one important piece of that great team:

"HOF QB
Jim Kelly"

You're still missing at least one critical piece. but much improved, yes. Congratulations on that!

Last edited:
Whoa wait so now it's the MLB's job to amass sacks?

How many sacks did the Pat's MLBs (or ILBs) rack up in '11? (not gonna bother to look it up, i suspect u mest know).

Do u value QB pressures or are they useless in your opinion?

You're the one who was ****ily asking about stopping the players. I simply responded. Don't try flipping this on me, because I'm not the one pimping my favorite team's linebackers as sackmeisters.

I'm not sure how to interpret this.

Are you saying that one starter being out is equal to 10 starters being out?

Are you saying that one Tom Brady or one Peyton Manning is equal to the sum total Kyle Williams, Eric Wood, Fred Jackson, Terrence McGee, Keith Urbik, Shawne Merriman, Aaron Williams, Demetrius Bell, Chris Hairston, Donald Jones, Scott Chandler, Rian Lindell, etc? I mean how many teams teams lose their freakin kicker? I dont get your point. Whatever happened to T-E-A-M?

Look,the Bills started out hot in '11 with a team that didnt have depth. Injuries hit. They couldnt sustain the hot start due to aforementioned lack of depth. That depth is being built with guys like Justin Rogers, Alex Carrington, Arthur Moats, Chris Hairston, Leodis McKelvin, Chad Rinehart, CJ Spiller. It takes some time. This year's draft will produce even more depth. Whats so hard to understand?

It's pretty straightforward, and you doubtlessly understood my point.

Apparently the Bills would have won the Super Bowl last year if it weren't for injuries...

I'm not sure how to interpret this.

Are you saying that one starter being out is equal to 10 starters being out?

Are you saying that one Tom Brady or one Peyton Manning is equal to the sum total Kyle Williams, Eric Wood, Fred Jackson, Terrence McGee, Keith Urbik, Shawne Merriman, Aaron Williams, Demetrius Bell, Chris Hairston, Donald Jones, Scott Chandler, Rian Lindell, etc? I mean how many teams teams lose their freakin kicker? I dont get your point. Whatever happened to T-E-A-M?

Look,the Bills started out hot in '11 with a team that didnt have depth. Injuries hit. They couldnt sustain the hot start due to aforementioned lack of depth. That depth is being built with guys like Justin Rogers, Alex Carrington, Arthur Moats, Chris Hairston, Leodis McKelvin, Chad Rinehart, CJ Spiller. It takes some time. This year's draft will produce even more depth. Whats so hard to understand?

I'm pretty sure that listing a whole bunch of players who weren't good enough to win with and blaming not winning on them being injured.

I can't wait to see the cost of someone with 32 choices to live ending up in Buffalo NY.

One man's wasteland is another man's "country, home-type feeling." This guy definitely ain't Plaxico...too bad his price was so high, as he sure seems to be a Belichick kind of player.

"When I saw Jim's house, and the deer and turkey out there, it felt like really a country, home-type feeling. At least that's home to me. It was really important to me that I see the town, because I didn't know it. I'd never been here before. I like the small-town atmosphere. Plus, I knew Toronto was just a short trip over [the U.S.-Canada border]. New York's close by plane, Boston's close. The cold doesn't bother me. I just wanted to find the right fit for me, and from the beginning, they showed me love.''

Read more: Peyton Manning's decision on where to play next will affect a lot of people - Peter King - SI.com

One man's wasteland is another man's "country, home-type feeling." This guy definitely ain't Plaxico...too bad his price was so high, as he sure seems to be a Belichick kind of player.

"When I saw Jim's house, and the deer and turkey out there, it felt like really a country, home-type feeling. At least that's home to me. It was really important to me that I see the town, because I didn't know it. I'd never been here before. I like the small-town atmosphere. Plus, I knew Toronto was just a short trip over [the U.S.-Canada border]. New York's close by plane, Boston's close. The cold doesn't bother me. I just wanted to find the right fit for me, and from the beginning, they showed me love.''

Read more: Peyton Manning's decision on where to play next will affect a lot of people - Peter King - SI.com

Yeah, I read that and aside from the fact that he still let them wildly overpay for him sometimes when the comfort level of the setting/love matter more to them than winning, well...they just settle in and amass empty stats. Loved the line about how they'd already proven they could beat us...once, in the regular season... He should ask Milloy and Bledsoe how that translates.

Last edited:
Yeah, I read that and aside from the fact that he still let them wildly overpay for him sometimes when the comfort level of the setting/love matter more to them than winning, well...they just settle in and amass empty stats. Loved the line about how they'd already proven they could beat us...once, in the regular season... He should ask Milloy and Bledsoe how that translates.

hopefully your more cynical view proves to be the right one. let's hope he gets nice and comfortable in his cozy new digs and loses a step or two on Sunday afternoon.

Mario Williams' Twitter avatar:

bbwolf90.jpg

Oh, it's on.

He also talked about wanting to be the impact player on a team that was turning its fortunes around. He felt he could be that with the Bills.

Sure, they were 6-10 - but how many of those close losses would have gone the other way if they had another sack or 2 in the game?

There is sort of a CW that the Pats are always on top, and the Bills are always on the bottom, and that's just the way it's always gonna be. But really...what are the chances that it's just the way it's always gonna be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back