PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Marcus Cannon traded to Texans

The traded pick setup is quite odd, but hey, frees up a big chunk of cap space (around $7.1M) and also gets some compensation for a dude who was 90% most likely gonna be axed.

3x champ and started on two of those teams and beat cancer too. Hell of a career. He shall not be forgotten.

Him dominating Von Miller in 2016 after a horrible playoff performance the previous year was really heart warming.

I mean I do like this trade a lot but I'm hoping the cap ramifications of trading him are similar to those of cutting him.

Cannon should still have something left to give. When he right he's one of the top 10 RTs in the NFL Hopefully he plays that way for them. If I was the Texans I'm not sure I make this move though. I probably wait to see if him or someone else cut. I don't think he would have costed much more than what he's being paid right now. You risk losing him but you get to keep your picks where they are. It isn't like there aren't other decent RTs on the market. I think BB won this trade. The Texans really need Cannon to return to form for a year or two to make it worth it, and we just don't know if he will.

Last edited:
Probably need clarification on which picks in these rounds Houston is sending, but assuming it's the highest in each, NE will move from #15 to #4 in the 4th, #14 to #3 in the 5th, and #13 to #4 in the 6th.

Houston only has around $25M in cap space, I think, so this move alone knocks them down to $18M. Not a lot of room left.

I mean I do like this trade a lot but I'm hoping the cap ramifications of trading him are similar to those of cutting him.
From Miguel's Twitter:

Marcus Cannon's dead money is 2,566,668
Net cap savings is $ 6,276,250. My new Patriots salary cap space number after the Marcus Cannon trade is $65,250,990. It does not account for Trent Brown or Justin Bethel.

Last edited:

"the Marcus Cannon agreement was actually struck prior to today"

Weird how there are so many rumors flying around about everything except the deals that are already done.

From cancer survivor, to backup, to scapegoat for many in the '15 playoffs, to AP player in '16.

What a ride and success story.

Also a pretty great trade given that the alternative was a release.

3x champ and started on two of those teams and beat cancer too. Hell of a career. He shall not be forgotten.

Him dominating Von Miller in 2016 after a horrible playoff performance the previous year was really heart warming.
Yes, but he was injured I believe in the previous year. The line was in trouble that game. Deserves fan appreciation as a player and a man. Underrated in my book.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back