PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Manning will be named MVP in the biggest travesty in award history

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Vikings record would probably be better if Christian Ponder stopped turning over the football. Also, replace AP with Toby Gerhart and that team is not 7-6. They're probably a 3 perhaps 4 win team.

Compare that to what would happen if the Patriots replaced Brady with a JAG QB.

Remove AP and insert Brady or Manning and the Vikings are probably still 7-6.

Remove Ponder and insert any decent QB like Flacco, Schaub, Josh Freeman, or Andy Dalton and the Vikings win the NFC North division crown.

To make that analogy complete you'd have to also insert a Dalton/Shaub/Freeman caliber RB along with Brady, in which case that team would be competing for the division lead right now.

Also, Flacco wouldn't make the Vikings significantly better.

Last year, Brady took a team with a merely decent RB and a bad defense to the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
Huh? Either I'm reading this wrong or this is one of the wackiest statements I've read on the board.

. . .

Put Brady or Manning on the Vikings, and you can put Laurence Maroney at RB, and that team is going to be playing into late January.

I seriously doubt that. The Vikings are not a very talented team. They are 7-6 despite Christian Ponder and the main reason why, offensively at least, is AP. He has flat-out won several games for them. AP has been their Brady or Manning. Their defense is ok, but Percy Harvin is basically what they have other than AP.

Sure, it's a qb's league but no, I'm sorry, put Brady, Rodgers, or Manning on Minnesota and they're SB contenders without Peterson? Don't think so.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for one of the mediots (I'm not good at names, Chris Carter? Rob Parker?) to use the argument that "Manning lost less SB's than Brady. So that makes him a more betterer player!" >_>

Or to be even more asinine, "Eli won two SB's so that means that Manning(s) are 3-1 in the SB. Brady is 3-2. And Eli ""owned""" Brady in two of those SB's (never mind that extraordinary D-line, Eli controlled all of them with his decision making skill!). And since Eli is merely an extension of Peyton, that means that Peyton is the better QB!" >_>

Look, I honestly am not going to be extremely mad if Manning wins the MVP. What I do care about is that, in the event that the Pats don't hoist the Lombardi this year, the media will spin it as a "Brady=choker" thing, while a Manning playoff/SB loss will be spun as "HE GOT SO FAR GUYZ". It seems like a common trend I see in the sports media as of late (since 2007 maybe?) is how the narrative for these two QBs work. Prior to SB XLIV, the media was asking if Manning was the GOAT (please correct me on this, my memory leading up to the game is sort of foggy). Now, to be fair, this also applied to Brady prior to XLVI, but just as many analysts were asking "If Brady loses another SB, does that mean his legacy is irreparably damaged. Does this mean he's overrated?".

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for one of the mediots (I'm not good at names, Chris Carter? Rob Parker?) to use the argument that "Manning lost less SB's than Brady. So that makes him a more betterer player!" >_>

Or to be even more asinine, "Eli won two SB's so that means that Manning(s) are 3-1 in the SB. Brady is 3-2. And Eli ""owned""" Brady in two of those SB's (never mind that extraordinary D-line, Eli controlled all of them with his decision making skill!). And since Eli is merely an extension of Peyton, that means that Peyton is the better QB!" >_>

Look, I honestly don't care that much if Manning wins MVP. What I do care about is that, in the event that the Pats don't hoist the Lombardi this year, the media will spin it as a "Brady=choker" thing, while a Manning playoff/SB loss will be spun as "HE GOT SO FAR GUYZ".

Someone who's led his team to 5 SBs in his career is not a choker. But yeah you're right, anything to create some headlines.

Someone who's led his team to 5 SBs in his career is not a choker. But yeah you're right, anything to create some headlines.

"BUT BUT 18-1 GUYZZZZ. BUT BUT, HE LOST TO THE GIANTS TWICE GUYZ. ELI OWWNNNNS HIM"

I agree with you wholeheartedly. The above quotes are honestly how I interpret the words of 99% of sports analysts.

I seriously doubt that. The Vikings are not a very talented team. They are 7-6 despite Christian Ponder and the main reason why, offensively at least, is AP. He has flat-out won several games for them. AP has been their Brady or Manning. Their defense is ok, but Percy Harvin is basically what they have other than AP.

Sure, it's a qb's league but no, I'm sorry, put Brady, Rodgers, or Manning on Minnesota and they're SB contenders without Peterson? Don't think so.

Running backs have proven irrelevant to winning Super Bowls in the modern NFL.

There is absolutely no correlation between having a top-tier running back and being a successful NFL team. Whereas this is a direct correlation between having a top-tier QB and being a successful NFL team.

I'm sorry, but the dropoff from AP to a any JAG RB is not even in the zip code of the dropoff from Brady to Ponder - in terms of its impact on the team. Fantasy team, maybe. Actual football, no.

The Minnesota defense is similar statistically to the Patriots, and we know Brady can win with scrub WRs and/or scrub RBs - so I'm not sure how you can contest that putting him on the Vikings makes them a SB contender.

You could put Brady or Peyton on any NFL roster and they would be a SB contender. We've seen them both win with a pool of talent surrounding them which is below league average. Brady had one of the worst receiving groups I've ever seen 2 minutes from playing in the SB; Brady was a completed pass away from winning the SB with a historically bad defense last season; Rodgers won a league MVP with the only defense more porous than theirs; Peyton won a SB with one of the worst running games in the league.

Yes, all of these guys would have Minnesota competing for a SB. If you think otherwise, you severely underrate the importance of the QB position and the relative insignificance of the RB position comparatively.

Last edited:
The media will be quick to point out Tom's offensive weapons and will rarely if ever mention things like the fact that Gronk and Aaron have almost never been healthy at any time this year, that we have had a receiver revolving door after Wes & Lloyd, and that the O-line has been constantly changing all season long due to injury.

BradyManny: For the most part I agree with you and take a step back from what I wrote. I feel however that AP is having something more than a great season for a RB. It's really something special. If he keeps it up for the last 3 games his impact will in the ballpark of a great QB. Without AP this season, the Vikings would probably be 2-11 right now.

MVP is a media driven award, CPOY is a media driven award, so who are they going to give it to? The ones who *#&% the media's *&$% best, which is hands down Manning. They are more concerned with "the story" then about facts and who actually deserves it. Outside fans do not like Tom Brady and think he is soft and elitist and all sorts of other crap. How many posters here hate the cowboys or steelers due to the decade of dominance they had? It's the same thing, people outside of NE are tired of the Pats owning their asses so have to find something, anything to take away being owned. Part of the story is look at what Manning, AP, and Brady have done. Each have a legit case for MVP but which winner would sell more papers, webspace, etc? I think which record they break by the end of the year will decide this debate. AP gets 2000 yards or ****erson's record? He deserves to win it. Brady leads the #1 offense in NFL history.....well he's done that before so no big deal. Personally I will be pissed if Manning wins it but understand why it happened. I will be completly fine if AP wins it because he does deserve it for the impressive year he is having. My prediction, AP CPOY, Brady OPOY, Manning MVP.

people are getting too whiny about this.......manning is having an MVP season and his team is battling the pats for playoff position......he is worth yof consideration and possibly the award itself....to deny that is to be a homer

I have had this related conversation 100 times with people..

them: Montana was 4-0 in Super Bowls. Brady can't top that.

me: Did he only play 4 years?

them: No, but he was 4-0 in Super Bowls!

me: Do you know how he did in his 5th, 6th, and 7th best seasons? Did you know that he lost in the conference finals 3 times in his next 3 best seasons?

them: No, but he was 4-0 in Super Bowls!

me: So, winning a conference championship game and losing in the last minute of the Super Bowl is somehow worse than losing a a conference championship game?

them: (long silence, puzzled look, then....) But he was 4-0 in Super Bowls!

Now I would think that if we finally get #4 it would be easily for even idiots to grasp, but somehow I doubt it

people are getting too whiny about this.......manning is having an MVP season and his team is battling the pats for playoff position......he is worth yof consideration and possibly the award itself....to deny that is to be a homer

Agreed but it's the media, that is already handing it to Manning, who are being biased. Brady's numbers just as good if not better than manning so why do they want to crown Manning?

He's also beaten no one of significance and played his worst games against the only half-decent competition he's faced, while padding things with empty stats.

Calling his season thus far MVP caliber is a pedestrian, half-*****ed and lazy opinion.

Last edited:

Manning isn't in the top 4 of players who should be in the MVP discussion. To deny that is to ignore what's happened in the NFL this season.

People comparing brady's weapons with manning and his new system and team obviously ignored this when manning had all 1st round receivers and backs and TE's and brady played with reche caldwell and gaffeny for 1 season and went to the AFC champ game. Then the argument was manning didnt have a defense.Of course most of manning's playoff losses have come because the offense has crapped its bed.But we can ignore that.

This feels like an issue for fans only. If Brady wins the MVP, but doesn't win the Super Bowl (or, even worse, doesn't even get to the Super Bowl), the fact that he won the MVP award will mean nothing. Even worse than nothing -- it will remind him that he excelled, except where it mattered: the Super Bowl.

And if he wins the Super Bowl, and doesn't get the MVP, he will be supremely happy and can thumb his nose at the MVP, whoever it is. And we'll be just as happy.

Summary: the MVP can subtract for Brady, but it can't add a thing.

If it's about true value to the team, how could Brady have not won it last year? Leading a team without a defense to a 13-3 record and a #1 playoff seed (as well as a super bowl berth). Oh, but Rodgers had better stats, that's why he won. Well nobody's close to Brady this year stats wise yet everyone talking talking about Manning.

It's a fluid argument, whatever it takes to exclude Brady is what they'll base their argument on. He's only won the years the award the years he had the two best years statistically in the history of the game. How could he have not won the award in 03 or 04, leading both teams to 14-2 records? This year it will be simply a popularity contest with Manning because apparently now a back story is part of the criteria.

So if Manning gets it this year it will be his 5th, while Brady will only has two. How could that be justified considering everything Brady has accomplished?

Last edited:

but the point is tom brady is having an mvp season with better numbers and his team is the best in the nfl and he is worthy of the being the front runner.

I thought an MVP went to the player having the best season, not the players who may be worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST