PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mandatory Josh Gordon Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Editing in ∞, how Polianesque...shame on you man
I was on a mobile device, so "Alt + 236" was not an option, with no number keypad

(corrected)

Last edited:
Why do you say they won't?

The team can incorporate a number of provisions into the contract which protects them (see recoup any $) if he fails a drug test or is suspended.

Unless hes a real problem/too much work to manage and we don't know it, at a minimum they'll be slapping him with a 1st or 2nd round tender.

To unpack this:
  • I take "lock up" to mean to sign to a "long-term" deal.
  • I don't expect them to do that because I expect them to give him an RFA tender. If he keeps his nose clean next year then they might consider a longer deal.
  • The other reason I expect them to use an RFA tender is that RFA tenders are not guaranteed.

To unpack this:
  • I take "lock up" to mean to sign to a "long-term" deal.
  • I don't expect them to do that because I expect them to give him an RFA tender. If he keeps his nose clean next year then they might consider a longer deal.
  • The other reason I expect them to use an RFA tender is that RFA tenders are not guaranteed.
I think they'll tender him, see what the interest is for him and if it helps the cap situation, extend him.

I think they'll tender him, see what the interest is for him and if it helps the cap situation, extend him.

I don't see that happening until November or December. The RFA first-round tender is about $4.5M. I can't imagine a long-term deal he'd take that would lower that number.

I don't see that happening until November or December. The RFA first-round tender is about $4.5M. I can't imagine a long-term deal he'd take that would lower that number.
Why Nov/Dec? I'm thinking they slap him with the tender after they win the Super Bowl :p

Josh Gordon is superior to a cat in every measurable way: a cat has nine lives, but Josh Gordon has like 15 NFL lives; leaping ability goes to Gordon; speed goes to Gordon; quickness, yes, goes to Gordon; ability to catch a football goes to Gordon on an easy call (though Dwayne Allen would lose in a ball catching contest to a cat.)
But does he have good paws?

In that context the comparison with Develin makes even less sense. Develin is an Ivy League grad.
And?? What’s your point?

Please don’t say Develon is “privileged”:p Their different experiences are irrelevant to anything. Ivy leaguers are just as susceptible to addiction as anyone else.

I wasn’t comparing the two players. I’m saying discussing Gordon for doing his job is as random as discussing Devilin for doing his.

I’m mostly happy that Josh seems to be on the right track. But it’s too early to get carried away and start gushing over him

Last edited:
Not his life... his career... he is addicted because he couldn't quit, even if it was harming him in almost every aspect... just hold that weed man, and try to get wasted every day because they don't mind that
If an addict switches to weed, they’re still acting like an addict.

So hold that coffee man and drink up everyday! They don’t mind that

If an addict switches to weed, they’re still acting like an addict.

So hold that coffee man and drink up everyday! They don’t mind that

As an addict in recovery I concur that weed will be just as deadly for me as smack. I do enjoy my coffee. I’m friends with the local roasters. It’s definitely an addiction but I never had to lie, cheat, or steal to buy that next cup.

As an addict in recovery I concur that weed will be just as deadly for me as smack. I do enjoy my coffee. I’m friends with the local roasters. It’s definitely an addiction but I never had to lie, cheat, or steal to buy that next cup.

I'm also a recovering addict and I would have no problem smoking cannabis and staying clean on everything else. I dont drink anymore because that causes me alot more tempting thoughts than anything else. I'm very pro cannabis even though I dont smoke because of my job. It's a truly underutilized natural medicine, that's why big pharma wants to keep it illegal. It would eliminate so much of their returns on anxiety, pain, nausea and depression medications that it would probably put alot of them out of business.

What would it take to sign him long term?
At the very least, I believe that it would take another 1–1.5 years of seeing him maintain his sobriety. The team is not going to offer him a longer term deal at this point in time, even if he’s on the right track at the moment. It’s just not going to happen, especially when they have the RFA tender in their pocket for the 2019 season.

At the very least, I believe that it would take another 1–1.5 years of seeing him maintain his sobriety. The team is not going to offer him a longer term deal at this point in time, even if he’s on the right track at the moment. It’s just not going to happen, especially when they have the RFA tender in their pocket for the 2019 season.
I don’t agree that a long term deal is out of the question. They could use the RFA tender as a baseline and offer him a good long term deal that’s cap friendly, loaded with incentives, and terminable for cause with no dead money if he falls off the wagon. It would be good business to lock him up now at a good price if the downside protection is solid. His market value will only go up from here, as long as he stays clean. If the contract is structured so the team doesn’t take any hit if he doesn’t stay clean there’s no reason not to do it.

Semi-facetious question: would an incentive clause requiring him to stay clean be “not likely to be earned”?

Wouldn't the Patriots protected by the league's policy, though? Gordon is down to his last strike, so wouldn't that mean his contract is voided/he doesn't get credit or paychecks if he's suspended again by the NFL rather than the team? I really don't know. I just don't know how they got stuck with Aaron Hernandez cap hit. I would have thought the league would suspend him indefinitely the moment he was arrested, but it is the NYJFL for a reason.

Regardless, I think Bill looks at this as a 2018/19 coup. If Gordon is still sober and things are going great next season, he's likely going to get a lot more guaranteed money from another team, and frankly, that's his best option considering everything that's happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down