PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcom Butler has a great attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree he's getting bad advice. It's understandable he sees Gilmore's contract and says " what about me?", considering he's been a better cb than Gilmore. But it's not that simple.
Gilmore finished his rookie deal and earned his UFA. Malcolm is still a year away. They're totally different situations. His agent has done a crappy job with this. Wait one more year and I guarantee Butler gets more $ than Gilmore( though not as many years due to his age).

I doubt that. We'll see.

You obviously haven't watched much of Butler OR Gilmore because you don't know wtf you're talking about.

Butler is one of the most physical cbs in the nfl- much more so than Gilmore( who is also fairly physical).

Butler jams wrs better at the los than Gilmore, plays pressman as good or better and is a better tackler. That pretty much encompasses every aspect of being physical.

And nobody in their right mind would argue that Gilmore has been as good as Butler over the last 2 years.

You further show your ignorance by holding up Gilmore's contract as " proof" of his superiority,lol. Obviously you don't know the difference between RFA and ufa or you wouldn't have made such an asinine comment. Butler has no leverage. Gilmore does. Next year, Butler will have the same leverage as Gilmore.

As I pointed out in anothet thread,teams don't give out contracts to fas based solely on performance. It's based as much on potential- how they think player will perform in coming years. Gilmore clearly has more potential than Butler. I said that from the get go. But he's been much more inconsistent than malcolm. I think Gilmore's best would be better than butler's best. BB obviously feels he can help Gilmore be his best. You can argue Sherman had been better than Butler, you can't argue Gilmore has.

You got some some kind of bug up your ass about Butler, I don't know why. IMO, the best scenario is Butler and Gilmore as the top 2, they'd push each other and be the best tandem in the NFL. You also need to to research butler's top-end speed- he's faster than most cbs in the
Nfl- 4.42. Gilmore is slightly faster.

A lot of stupid assumptions here; when you are angry and posting on the internet, make sure to put words into people's mouth and to make them seem ignorant. Don't stop your post now...I'm waiting for the part when I burn down Butler's house.

You are clearly a stupid, ignorant moron to suggest I don't know the difference between RFA and UFA, or that I've argued that Gilmore has been better than Butler, or that I've suggested several other lies that you are spouting. I guess you'd have to actually read what I have written, rather than angrily jumping to absurd and false conclusions.

Is there a way to ban this @sshole? I've been on this site 11 years and have never come across a post as stupid and obviously flame-based as this one. I guess I'll just use my ignore feature.

A lot of stupid assumptions here; when you are angry and posting on the internet, make sure to put words into people's mouth and to make them seem ignorant. Don't stop your post now...I'm waiting for the part when I burn down Butler's house.

You are clearly a stupid, ignorant moron to suggest I don't know the difference between RFA and UFA, or that I've argued that Gilmore has been better than Butler, or that I've suggested several other lies that you are spouting. I guess you'd have to actually read what I have written, rather than angrily jumping to absurd and false conclusions.

Is there a way to ban this @sshole? I've been on this site 11 years and have never come across a post as stupid and obviously flame-based as this one. I guess I'll just use my ignore feature.

Nice strawman response. So you didn't hold up Gilmore's contract as evidenc
e of his superiority over Butler?
OK, I must have hallucinated that along with all the other erroneous BS
you posted.
Fyi- I've been on this board since 2001 n ot that it means anything. I only mentioned it because you made a big deal of you being here for 11 years.
Ban me? That's pretty funny. I've got a lot more credibility than you do.

Ice ice Brady posted: "Gilmore's deal shows hes better at the job"(sic).
Did you not post that? So now youre also a liar as well as calling me names? Hmmm WHO should be banned now? Lol

Last edited:
Ice ice Brady posted: "Gilmore's deal shows hes better at the job"(sic).
Did you not post that? So now youre also a liar as well as calling me names? Hmmm WHO should be banned now? Lol

Clap clap. You got one point somewhat accurate, but just ignore the other five things you said. Not surprised that's the only thing you could come up with. By somewhat accurate, I mean you ignored then context of that response, which was a direct response to, to paraphrase, Butler is better than Gilmore at the job. It doesn't take too much speculation to conclude the Patriots believe that to be the case, that Gilmore is worth more to the Patriots within their system than Butler. I never said anything along the lines of your other stupid points; in fact, I have said the opposite on several of them. That was actually the one point that I didn't argue about, if again, you actually read what I wrote, this time in direct response to you, but I never said Gilmore has been better than Butler over the last few years and clearly stated the difference between RFA and UFA. I would hardly say I have an axe to grind with Butler, other than trying to inject reason when someone is way, way over the top in criticizing the Gilmore signing.

Last edited:
Clap clap. You got one point somewhat accurate, but just ignore the other five things you said. Not surprised that's the only thing you could come up with. By somewhat accurate, I mean you ignored then context of that response, which was a direct response to, to paraphrase, Butler is better than Gilmore at the job. It doesn't take too much speculation to conclude the Patriots believe that to be the case, that Gilmore is worth more to the Patriots within their system than Butler. I never said anything along the lines of your other stupid points; in fact, I have said the opposite on several of them. That was actually the one point that I didn't argue about, if again, you actually read what I wrote, this time in direct response to you, but I never said Gilmore has been better than Butler over the last few years and clearly stated the difference between RFA and UFA. I would hardly say I have an axe to grind with Butler, other than trying to inject reason when someone is way, way over the top in criticizing the Gilmore signing.

I could go point by point and show how wrong you are, but what's the point?
You're a freaking liar. I don't engage with liars. Difference of opinion is fine, but lying and then calling me names? After you've been totally proven wrong? Sorry, got no use for you.

You obviously haven't watched much of Butler OR Gilmore because you don't know wtf you're talking about.

Butler is one of the most physical cbs in the nfl- much more so than Gilmore( who is also fairly physical).

Butler jams wrs better at the los than Gilmore, plays pressman as good or better and is a better tackler. That pretty much encompasses every aspect of being physical.

And nobody in their right mind would argue that Gilmore has been as good as Butler over the last 2 years.

You further show your ignorance by holding up Gilmore's contract as " proof" of his superiority,lol. Obviously you don't know the difference between RFA and ufa or you wouldn't have made such an asinine comment. Butler has no leverage. Gilmore does. Next year, Butler will have the same leverage as Gilmore.

As I pointed out in anothet thread,teams don't give out contracts to fas based solely on performance. It's based as much on potential- how they think player will perform in coming years. Gilmore clearly has more potential than Butler. I said that from the get go. But he's been much more inconsistent than malcolm. I think Gilmore's best would be better than butler's best. BB obviously feels he can help Gilmore be his best. You can argue Sherman had been better than Butler, you can't argue Gilmore has.

You got some some kind of bug up your ass about Butler, I don't know why. IMO, the best scenario is Butler and Gilmore as the top 2, they'd push each other and be the best tandem in the NFL. You also need to to research butler's top-end speed- he's faster than most cbs in the
Nfl- 4.42. Gilmore is slightly faster.

Maybe you are right. Sometimes I am wrong. I guess what I was talking about had more to do with playing bigger, more physical receivers, which is more Gilmore than Butler. Butler is better against quicker, more elusive players. Hence, the Talib/Harris comparisons. Maybe I overstepped in that comment, but that is why we have civilized discussion. If you had ended your post there, fine.

You further show your ignorance by holding up Gilmore's contract as " proof" of his superiority,lol.

And now it begins. Where exactly did I say that? Again, as a rebuttal that Butler is "the better man for the job," I believe the Patriots financial commitment to Gilmore suggests otherwise. I don't believe, based on everything I've seen, that the Patriots would have offered Butler that much even if he were a UFA, although several times in this thread I have posed the idea that the Patriots may have signed Gilmore because they knew they could land a #1 corner, and Butler was certainly not a gaurantee for a long-term deal. I have not said that Gilmore is better than Butler. I have certainly stated the obvious, which is that, based on the idea the Patriots set the market on a player, they must think he is a damn good player. And I think it's reasonable to predict that, based on the financial knowns, the Patriots would prefer Gilmore over Butler, if they could have either one at the same price. I'm not sure that is saying Gilmore is "superior" to Butler is really accurate here...which leads into the next point of UFA/RFA.

Obviously you don't know the difference between RFA and ufa or you wouldn't have made such an asinine comment. Butler has no leverage. Gilmore does. Next year, Butler will have the same leverage as Gilmore.

Another huge assumption, which followed from another big reach. Look at my posting history and then tell me I don't understand UFA vs RFA. I have distinguished several times that their bargaining positions are very different. I still don't think the Patriots would have given Butler as good a deal as Gilmore, or else they would have made a more aggressive push to extend him. It is theoretical, so you are welcome to disagree with me, but to suggest that I am ignorant of their bargaining positions and therefore think their offers are apples to apples, you clearly are just projecting onto me. I want to also reiterate that Butler may get an equivalent or greater contract as Gilmore. I am only talking about the Patriots view of these two players, and my best guess is that they would go higher for Gilmore, even if they were both UFAs. And yes, in that case, it certainly is reasonable to use contracts/offers to pinpoint who the Patriots think is better for their job, and arguments about potential, realization, risk, etc. are factored into that job offer.

And why do you include this in your response to me when I stated nothing of the sort? Do you just pick all of the worst comments from this thread and attribute them all to me? The only comment I made that was in the same stratosphere as this: Gilmore has had five defensive coordinators. I never once said that Gilmore has been better than, or even equivalent to, Butler.

You can argue Sherman had been better than Butler, you can't argue Gilmore has.

Once again a huge takedown over something I never said.

You got some some kind of bug up your ass about Butler, I don't know why.

Why would I hate the guy who created the greatest moment in my life as a Patriots fan? Much of what I say stems from looking to understand the Patriots thinking, not applying my own assumptions to a situation like this, which was contrary to almost all of our assumptions about the Patriots long-term CB plans.

I'm pretty sure I recently pointed out it was the Patriots, via Lombardi as a proxy, who dragged this out into public, not Butler, and that was in response to others who were calling him immature or other misplaced adjectives. I've been pretty consistent about my take on this whole situation:

A. The Patriots will not pay two guys a king's ransom at #1 and #2 cornerback. I believe the Gilmore deal is likely the writing on the wall for Butler, likely this offseason, or possibly next offseason. It has less to do with Butler and more to do with cap philosophy. The Patriots are already among the league leaders in secondary cost, and may have the best 1-2 FS combo in the league with McCourty and Harmon. Their safety play and coaching is excellent. I don't think it makes sense to pay two guys $25 annually when you will have much of the same success paying one of them $13M and putting a decent player on the other side/slot. Just too many other areas of need on a roster. Seahawks have had the #1 pass defense of this era with Sherman and Thomas as studs in coverage. It hasn't made much difference fon their #2 corner, who looks pretty good no matter what. I compare it to the Ravens linebacker corps of the Reed/Lewis era. Sure, Adalius Thomas and Bart Scott were good players, but when they let those guys go there was little drop off since they already had enough elite players in their front 7 and other linebackers.

B. I think Butler should sign his tender for his own good. I don't recall an RFA with a first round tender actually being signed for a first round pick in about 10 years. No one is going to make him an offer, other than the Saints. Why would the Saints be willing to? It's obvious. They suspect, whether illegally or not, that they will be able to trade for Butler for something less than a first round pick. Nothing will change from now until 4/21 because no other team can talk to the Patriots about Butler, and the Patriots are aware they are being watched closely by the NFLPA. There is a chance, though, that in the meantime the Saints spend their Butler money on someone other than Butler, or that their priorities change.

C. Butler played a really bad Super Bowl, and I can't imagine that helped him get a lucrative extension a year early. Go re-watch the film. I don't hate Butler at all, but it is clear he played the worst game of his career when matched up 1-on-1 against Gabriel and Sanu. There were several articles about his play, and even on the Hightower strip sack, he was completely toasted up the middle. Add in a horrendous PI penalty and an ankle breaking wipeout, and it was a disaster. He played great throughout much of the season, and last year. Atlanta, though, posed some huge challenges. After the Gilmore deal, I was looking for any explanations, and I thought it was a viable idea that his SB51 performance was a factor.

D. The Patriots would prefer Gilmore to Butler if the price were the same. It goes like this...none of us know. I use the simplest way to theorize about is: if the Patriots had felt Butler were a truly elite player in their system, I think they would have dug their heels in to extend him and and probably would not have signed Gilmore (see A.). If the Patriots had felt Gilmore were merely equal to, or less than, Butler they would not have shaken up their team's salary structure and FA philosophy to land him, as they'd prefer the player who has already proven he can fit into their team. Again, I also believe there may be alternative explanation that they saw them both as elite corners and figured they needed to lock up one of them, and it just happened that Gilmore was ready to accept their deal, while Butler's value due to his RFA designation was perceived as too far apart by both sides. However, I am incredibly skeptical that the Patriots would prefer Butler to Gilmore, given the choice of either one.

Hey guys so what's goin-

Maybe you are right. Sometimes I am wrong. I guess what I was talking about had more to do with playing bigger, more physical receivers, which is more Gilmore than Butler. Butler is better against quicker, more elusive players. Hence, the Talib/Harris comparisons. Maybe I overstepped in that comment, but that is why we have civilized discussion. If you had ended your post there, fine.

You further show your ignorance by holding up Gilmore's contract as " proof" of his superiority,lol.

And now it begins. Where exactly did I say that? Again, as a rebuttal that Butler is "the better man for the job," I believe the Patriots financial commitment to Gilmore suggests otherwise. I don't believe, based on everything I've seen, that the Patriots would have offered Butler that much even if he were a UFA, although several times in this thread I have posed the idea that the Patriots may have signed Gilmore because they knew they could land a #1 corner, and Butler was certainly not a gaurantee for a long-term deal. I have not said that Gilmore is better than Butler. I have certainly stated the obvious, which is that, based on the idea the Patriots set the market on a player, they must think he is a damn good player. And I think it's reasonable to predict that, based on the financial knowns, the Patriots would prefer Gilmore over Butler, if they could have either one at the same price. I'm not sure that is saying Gilmore is "superior" to Butler is really accurate here...which leads into the next point of UFA/RFA.

Obviously you don't know the difference between RFA and ufa or you wouldn't have made such an asinine comment. Butler has no leverage. Gilmore does. Next year, Butler will have the same leverage as Gilmore.

Another huge assumption, which followed from another big reach. Look at my posting history and then tell me I don't understand UFA vs RFA. I have distinguished several times that their bargaining positions are very different. I still don't think the Patriots would have given Butler as good a deal as Gilmore, or else they would have made a more aggressive push to extend him. It is theoretical, so you are welcome to disagree with me, but to suggest that I am ignorant of their bargaining positions and therefore think their offers are apples to apples, you clearly are just projecting onto me. I want to also reiterate that Butler may get an equivalent or greater contract as Gilmore. I am only talking about the Patriots view of these two players, and my best guess is that they would go higher for Gilmore, even if they were both UFAs. And yes, in that case, it certainly is reasonable to use contracts/offers to pinpoint who the Patriots think is better for their job, and arguments about potential, realization, risk, etc. are factored into that job offer.

And why do you include this in your response to me when I stated nothing of the sort? Do you just pick all of the worst comments from this thread and attribute them all to me? The only comment I made that was in the same stratosphere as this: Gilmore has had five defensive coordinators. I never once said that Gilmore has been better than, or even equivalent to, Butler.

You can argue Sherman had been better than Butler, you can't argue Gilmore has.

Once again a huge takedown over something I never said.

You got some some kind of bug up your ass about Butler, I don't know why.

Why would I hate the guy who created the greatest moment in my life as a Patriots fan? Much of what I say stems from looking to understand the Patriots thinking, not applying my own assumptions to a situation like this, which was contrary to almost all of our assumptions about the Patriots long-term CB plans.

I'm pretty sure I recently pointed out it was the Patriots, via Lombardi as a proxy, who dragged this out into public, not Butler, and that was in response to others who were calling him immature or other misplaced adjectives. I've been pretty consistent about my take on this whole situation:

A. The Patriots will not pay two guys a king's ransom at #1 and #2 cornerback. I believe the Gilmore deal is likely the writing on the wall for Butler, likely this offseason, or possibly next offseason. It has less to do with Butler and more to do with cap philosophy. The Patriots are already among the league leaders in secondary cost, and may have the best 1-2 FS combo in the league with McCourty and Harmon. Their safety play and coaching is excellent. I don't think it makes sense to pay two guys $25 annually when you will have much of the same success paying one of them $13M and putting a decent player on the other side/slot. Just too many other areas of need on a roster. Seahawks have had the #1 pass defense of this era with Sherman and Thomas as studs in coverage. It hasn't made much difference fon their #2 corner, who looks pretty good no matter what. I compare it to the Ravens linebacker corps of the Reed/Lewis era. Sure, Adalius Thomas and Bart Scott were good players, but when they let those guys go there was little drop off since they already had enough elite players in their front 7 and other linebackers.

B. I think Butler should sign his tender for his own good. I don't recall an RFA with a first round tender actually being signed for a first round pick in about 10 years. No one is going to make him an offer, other than the Saints. Why would the Saints be willing to? It's obvious. They suspect, whether illegally or not, that they will be able to trade for Butler for something less than a first round pick. Nothing will change from now until 4/21 because no other team can talk to the Patriots about Butler, and the Patriots are aware they are being watched closely by the NFLPA. There is a chance, though, that in the meantime the Saints spend their Butler money on someone other than Butler, or that their priorities change.

C. Butler played a really bad Super Bowl, and I can't imagine that helped him get a lucrative extension a year early. Go re-watch the film. I don't hate Butler at all, but it is clear he played the worst game of his career when matched up 1-on-1 against Gabriel and Sanu. There were several articles about his play, and even on the Hightower strip sack, he was completely toasted up the middle. Add in a horrendous PI penalty and an ankle breaking wipeout, and it was a disaster. He played great throughout much of the season, and last year. Atlanta, though, posed some huge challenges. After the Gilmore deal, I was looking for any explanations, and I thought it was a viable idea that his SB51 performance was a factor.

D. The Patriots would prefer Gilmore to Butler if the price were the same. It goes like this...none of us know. I use the simplest way to theorize about is: if the Patriots had felt Butler were a truly elite player in their system, I think they would have dug their heels in to extend him and and probably would not have signed Gilmore (see A.). If the Patriots had felt Gilmore were merely equal to, or less than, Butler they would not have shaken up their team's salary structure and FA philosophy to land him, as they'd prefer the player who has already proven he can fit into their team. Again, I also believe there may be alternative explanation that they saw them both as elite corners and figured they needed to lock up one of them, and it just happened that Gilmore was ready to accept their deal, while Butler's value due to his RFA designation was perceived as too far apart by both sides. However, I am incredibly skeptical that the Patriots would prefer Butler to Gilmore, given the choice of either one.

Thank you for taking the time out for that long and enlightening post.(no sarcasm)
What you posted here makes a lot of sense. Totally different take im getting from you than before. Some of that is probably on me, but you clarified this well.
You may be right about the Pats not being willing to give Butler a major contract based on how much they already spent on gilmore-not wanting all that $ tied up at just 2 spots,albeit important ones. Only time will tell. Im hoping he signs the tender and they keep him this year. win/win. Youd think butler would play lights out in a contract year and if so then BB would have a decision to make next year. As ive said before, gilmore clearly has more upside. With gilmore and rowe taking up 2 of the top 3 cb spots-Butler complements those 2 perfectly. Dont think you want 3 tall carners as your top 3-that weakens your secondary,imo.(thats why i was so down on the potential sherman thing-as great as he is, its about fitting in skill sets and butler/gilmore/rowe combo would be better than a sherman/gilmore/rowe combo imo, because it would be more versatile.
Namecalling is something i have rarely done here and for my part, i apologize for going there. A lot of people do it, but thats not why i visit this board. I dont really even enjoy arguing with Pats fans-i do enough of that living in enemy territory with al the dolphins,steelers, jests etc.
Again, i appreciate your post. Peace.

Thank you for taking the time out for that long and enlightening post.(no sarcasm)
What you posted here makes a lot of sense. Totally different take im getting from you than before. Some of that is probably on me, but you clarified this well.
You may be right about the Pats not being willing to give Butler a major contract based on how much they already spent on gilmore-not wanting all that $ tied up at just 2 spots,albeit important ones. Only time will tell. Im hoping he signs the tender and they keep him this year. win/win. Youd think butler would play lights out in a contract year and if so then BB would have a decision to make next year. As ive said before, gilmore clearly has more upside. With gilmore and rowe taking up 2 of the top 3 cb spots-Butler complements those 2 perfectly. Dont think you want 3 tall carners as your top 3-that weakens your secondary,imo.(thats why i was so down on the potential sherman thing-as great as he is, its about fitting in skill sets and butler/gilmore/rowe combo would be better than a sherman/gilmore/rowe combo imo, because it would be more versatile.
Namecalling is something i have rarely done here and for my part, i apologize for going there. A lot of people do it, but thats not why i visit this board. I dont really even enjoy arguing with Pats fans-i do enough of that living in enemy territory with al the dolphins,steelers, jests etc.
Again, i appreciate your post. Peace.

Im good. Hope Ice ice brady is too. Truth is, we just did this to keep you on your toes.:D

All good, @jimnance . Honestly I was having a bad day yesterday, and normally I would not have such a short fuse either with the name calling, etc. Thanks for the classy response - much appreciated, and totally agree, I never like to take the gloves off with a fellow fan, especially after all the garbage we have dealt with in other fan bases.

I also hope the Patriots resign Butler...he has always been very easy to root for and has a great rags to riches story.

I'm home sick with the flu so also not in the best mood.
Kumbaya,bro. I'd pass the peace pipe if I still(cough cough) partook in that sort of thing.

This is very serious business.
Um, some excellent tête-à-tête conversations lately (like Andy Johnson vs Andy Johnson, er, whoever it was) but none can touch the "No, you can't/yes, you can" contest some years ago between two of the mot intelligent and funny posters on the forum, Deus and RayClay. It's not important what the argument was about only that it occurred. If I had 2 free weeks I'd look for it. I lack the courage of my convictions to carry on with posts like that so I often admire it from my foxhole.

i love how people are arguing about Butler vs Gilmore.

Its hilarious

My Ferrari is better then your lambo.

no its not

yes it is

No its not

yes it is

Wait, we have both cars. why are we arguing.

because were idiots.

Both guys are TOP TIER CB's in the NFL

Both guys are PATRIOTS

Signing Gilmore might mean Butler leaves NEXT year, but this year, fellas, we have greatness in the secondary. our defense could be full of all pros.

FWIW breer thinks butler still ends up on the saints. If so there is a big hole to fill at CB...

Breer: 'More likely' Malcolm Butler ends up with Saints

So weird that the Saints have any inkling of what the Patriots will want for Butler, even though his name never came up in their talks, despite that it was previously that reported his name came up, along with Brandon Cooks, who was in fact traded. I'm sure this is just a tremendous coincidence...they just happened to be one of the only - is it only? - teams in the last 14 years who even worked out a first round tendered RFA, although they were not willing to give up their first round pick.

Don't tell AndyJohnson. He will explain why we are all insane to think this way.

Not over the Gilmore deal, how is that a good attitude? For me it shows immaturity.
TB is still not over being drafted in the 6th round. He'll carry that extra little chip on his shoulder for life. The Gilmore deal could be that extra motivator for Butler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News