PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcom Butler has a great attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayNM

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I just hope they would sign him to a large extension, but I am a fan. That's not how business works. He is a RFA, he has very little leverage. I think best case scenario is he signs the tender, plays the year, performs well, goes to free agency, gauges his value, re-signs here.

He'll be making around $4M with one year to go until he makes huge money (as is $4M isn't huge money). This shouldn't be a big deal, it's just how it's set up. Wanting UFA money before being an UFA . . . got to take a discount for that.

It sucks that the situation has reached this point, no doubt. But it is what it is. I hope he has a kick ass season, be it here or somewhere else. He's a true professional from humble beginnings, and he'll get his when it's time.

I don't get it, he's willing to look past the controversy he unilaterally created and play hard = good attitude?

I took this as a bit of whining on Butlers part. Not over the Gilmore signing and Sherman trade talk. Of course he is going to work his butt off. This is the big contract year showcase. He is working hard to earn himself some loot not to make the Patriots proud of him.

That being said he has always been a hard worker. He needs to understand Gilmore was Unrestricted. Butler is not. The restricted label is a bargaining chip that the Patriots are not cashing in for anyone.

Some of you are ridiculous

NFL players are people too. I'm sure all of you would be super stoked and start working your asses off if your companies brought in an outsider to do the job you were hoping for. And on top of that, gave the new guy a massive raise.

Save your keystrokes if you're going to reply that it wouldn't bother you and you'd still work extra hard. Because you're full of **** if you claim that

NFL players are people too. I'm sure all of you would be super stoked and start working your asses off if your companies brought in an outsider to do the job you were hoping for. And on top of that, gave the new guy a massive raise.

Save your keystrokes if you're going to reply that it wouldn't bother you and you'd still work extra hard. Because you're full of **** if you claim that
Bull.

If I knew I had to play 4 seasons before being eligible for crazy money but in year 4 had to work for relative slave wages of 4 million I would be fine with that. You don't become a UFA right off the bat, too bad. Butler is being unreasonable asking for UFA money before putting in the years to be a UFA.

Upset at the Patriots for them operating within the rules of the CBA, something his union representatives agreed to? Okay.

Bull.

If I knew I had to play 4 seasons before being eligible for crazy money but in year 4 had to work for relative slave wages of 4 million I would be fine with that. You don't become a UFA right off the bat, too bad. Butler is being unreasonable asking for UFA money before putting in the years to be a UFA.

Maybe it's not entirely about the money

The Pats signed Gilmore and basically said here's our number 1 corner

Tough to not be hurt if you're the budding corner on the team

First of all, what we would do has nothing to do with being a player that in one year will have 30 teams vying for his services. A regular joe,no one has tape of us doing our job and recording all our successes and sending it to 30 competitors. And this has happened to me
a dozen times in the 40 years I have been working. Bringing in an out side guy for more money is the way of the world. You plug and hope the next time is your time. It bites for a few days then it is back to the grindstone or you look for a better job where you are the new guy.

When he hits FA he will be 28. That sucks for him because I doubt any team is going to give him a 4 year 65 million dollar deal. He will probably end up with a 3 year deal with about 30-35 guaranteed.

Not that I would be complaining because I only made 35 million dollars.

I don't blame him for being pi$$ed. IMHO his agent handled this very badly... the agent didn't manage expectations. But I believe it can still work out well in the end, assuming BB wants him. Which I'm guessing he does.

Not over the Gilmore deal, how is that a good attitude? For me it shows immaturity.
The guy has absolutely worked his ass off to get where he's at. He saved the team from losing a Super Bowl. And played great as a starter the last two seasons.

Of course the Patriots need to do what's in their best interest, as it is a business. But you're telling me you wouldn't be upset in that situation?

I don't want to **** on Butler, I appreciate him, dude came in and made people forget about Revis and Talib.

But the problem I have is he went to the media

Bull.

Lmao must be nice to judge from your high horse.

Maybe Butler felt he's as good as any CB out there and felt disrespected the Pats signed Gilmore to be their #1 CB especially after proving himself with critical plays to help this team win SBs. It's not like the Pats haven't signed players to extensions before they became UFAs.

People getting their feelings hurt when their companies hire someone for more money for the position they are already performing at a high level is normal, irrespective of how much money we are talking about. Well, maybe not you. You're special.

In some industries that's the norm.

The guy has absolutely worked his ass off to get where he's at. He saved the team from losing a Super Bowl. And played great as a starter the last two seasons.

Of course the Patriots need to do what's in their best interest, as it is a business. But you're telling me you wouldn't be upset in that situation?

Be upset, go out and prove the team wrong for doubting you and not paying and then when they come to the table and say they will give the deal, say "suck my **** and it's gonna cost more now or i'm leaving" But don't run to the media and whine because some other guy got paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye