PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it reflects just how bat sh.t crazy many Patriots fans have gone over a single personnel decision. 17 years of working relentlessly to bring success to this franchise out the window because fans don’t like a decision. What an incredibly spoiled, entitled, crybaby bunch of a-holes this fan base is.
I'm a fan of the NE Patriots, not the Belichick cheerleading squad. The NE Patriots are the team that BB probably cost a Super Bowl, and most of them will never get a chance at another one.

No I’m not any of those things.

I don't believe you.

Only an insecure prick would make the type of decision Belichick made. He wanted to show the world he had the biggest **** in the room instead he just looks like an idiot.

Oh yea. You have all the personal interactions to support your ridiculous assessment.

God forbid it was the player's fault that they weren't able to do the job the team needed.

What does he know. Hes only been to the figgan Super Bowl 11 times.

Yea BB needs to check into Shady Pines......

You've lost your mind.
Listen I have never thought Belichick was that good. I have always felt as if there is no more significant a position in all of pro sports than QB and Belichick has had Brady who is the GOAT. Dungy, Fox, etc. all were considered great coaches when they were paired with all pro level QBs. It is causation vs correlation. What has Belichick or for that matter any of the coaches on his staff done when they did not have Brady on the field for them?

The only thing that is different is that Butler got sick. Because of his illness, he probably didn't practice well. This is the most likely the case, since it would be consistent with what BB told us (football related) and what Butler stated (not parties, drugs, etc). Belichick has every right to sit him if he doesn't understand the game plan (he has told his guys before if you don't know what's going on I can' t play you), but for pete's sake, put him in for a few defensive snaps if your D is getting torched in the Super Bowl. What do you have to lose?

Butlers accounts are different than what has been reported.

It is also been reported BB and the coaching staff did not have confidence vs Philly's D and BB saw no betterment w Butler out there.

Again, its up to what you want to believe.

I don't believe you.

Oh yea. You have all the personal interactions to support your ridiculous assessment.

God forbid it was the player's fault that they weren't able to do the job the team needed.

What does he know. Hes only been to the figgan Super Bowl 11 times.
Butler was 2-0 in Super Bowls when he played does that matter to you? Why should I care what Belichick has done in the past? How many of those Super Bowls did he win without Brady having to pull off a game winning drive at the very end? He has routinely been out coached in Super Bowls.

Listen I have never thought Belichick was that good. I have always felt as if there is no more significant a position in all of pro sports than QB and Belichick has had Brady who is the GOAT. Dungy, Fox, etc. all were considered great coaches when they were paired with all pro level QBs. It is causation vs correlation. What has Belichick or for that matter any of the coaches on his staff done when they did not have Brady on the field for them?
BB went 11-5 w/o Brady. BB went 11-5 w the Browns.

I really don't know WTF you've been watching these last 18 years.

Butler was 2-0 in Super Bowls when he played does that matter to you? Why should I care what Belichick has done in the past? How many of those Super Bowls did he win without Brady having to pull off a game winning drive at the very end? He has routinely been out coached in Super Bowls.
OMG

The only thing that is different is that Butler got sick. Because of his illness, he probably didn't practice well. This is the most likely the case, since it would be consistent with what BB told us (football related) and what Butler stated (not parties, drugs, etc). Belichick has every right to sit him if he doesn't understand the game plan (he has told his guys before if you don't know what's going on I can' t play you), but for pete's sake, put him in for a few defensive snaps if your D is getting torched in the Super Bowl. What do you have to lose?
My gut instinct from everything that has been reported is, first of all Reiss’ story which includes captains as sources says he wasn’t getting it in practice and was struggling with what they were asking him to do against the eagles and they knew as of a few days earlier his role would be diminished.
The game plan clearly was big nickel and the 3rd corner role was minor.
I assume the reports of weed, fighting with coaches and attitude had to do with how he handled the demotion and by game time it became apparent he wasn’t mentally or emotionally ready to play. The scenes of him crying seem to fit that theory.
If he spent Friday thru Sunday bring an attitude problem, fighting with coaches and not handling his role well I can understand not wanting to go into the Sb with a guy in that mindset on the field.

This seems to make all of the information jive. Why didn’t B.B. just throw him in there when that defense was struggling? Probably because he had no confidence he could overcome his practice struggles and his mindset.

This is of course speculation but that’s all we have at this point and it makes more sense than belichick forgot after 40 years in the nfl that you are supposed to play your best players and decided to say f it let’s bench someone and see what happens.

Pretty obvious that BB loves Butler and wanted to thank him and make sure he got a big contract for his next deal.

Instead of being seen as a role player in the defense BB made it look like Butler was the most important player on the entire defense.

Yeah, 11-5 with a team that had won 5 more games the previous year. Not to mention they missed the playoffs and I don't think they beat a single team above .500.

He took a team that was 16-0 the year before with Brady to an 11-5 record with Cassell who made the pro bowl 2 years later. So without Brady he wins 5 less games per season.

Oh by the way he got beat in the super bowl by a coach playing with his backup QB. So I guess his not even making the playoffs season is not all that amazing after all.

Yeah, 11-5 with a team that had won 5 more games the previous year. Not to mention they missed the playoffs and I don't think they beat a single team above .500.
Well we curb stomped the Cardinals who ended up in the Super Bowl just weeks later.

Well we curb stomped the Cardinals who ended up in the Super Bowl just weeks later.
Matt Cassell had a 64% completion percentage 3700 yards 21 touchdowns and a passer rating of 90 in 2008, he was throwing to Moss and Welker. Belichick had a solid QB and delivered a solid season.

No one is arguing that BB is not a great coach. He had a horrible game on Sunday. When do we waste a timeout in the 4th as well.

That's not amazing. A lot of teams win games and even Super Bowls and don't have Brady. The Eagles did this year. The Vikings went to the AFC championship with two QB changes.

Parcells took Bledsoe to a SB, Carroll took him to the playoffs. Bledsoe's worst record as a QB over all his seasons as a starter came under BB with 5-11.

I haven't read all 141 pages of this thread, plus the 45 pages of Deb's thread but...

Did anyone discuss the possibility that Butler may not have been 100% recovered from his flu, and BB didn't feel he was strong enough to be effective at corner?

I didn't see what Butler did on his lone snap on ST, but maybe BB saw enough to cement his decision to not play a weakened, still partly sick Butler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News