PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Malcolm Butler Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nowayback

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Just not having the kind of year I expected. Is it psychological ? Is he not getting the help with some WR's he used to? Anytime someone caught the ball Saturday I was looking for 21 trailing the play, ok sometimes it was Rowe . Can he turn it around for next games?

What about his free agency worth now, has to be down . Man the saints lucked out with Lattimore . Don't remember were we hoping for their 11th pick ?

What's Wrong With Malcolm Butler This Season?

Was trying to find CB ratings , couldn't...

PFF has him given up 8 TDs this season (2nd most in NFL) & a passer rating against of 103.9. That’s bad.

All we need is 2 more good games from him & he’ll go down in Patriots history as a SB hero & a vital cog of a 2nd dynasty by supplying the team with CB1 play for pennies on the dollar.

He’s as good as gone in FA & replacing his “production” won’t be difficult. He played statistically like the worst outside CB for us since McCourty in 2011.

All season, but was hoping......saw how bad Decker was against KC, and then a star with us. Ok most of his yards were in garbage time.

I don't think he had that bad of a year. He's competitive even when he gives up catches. He plays hard, and forces fumbles and incompletions even if he's initially beat. Did we expect better? Yeah. Is he terrible? No.

He wants his cash, and he will get it from some other team next season and continue to play like a scrub, because he'll be getting his money, like all of the other self-absorbed gold-diggers that leave NE.

The question is what is wrong with the whole defense? They were displaying their usual crappiness Saturday night, until one of the chumps on Tennessee's o-line got injured. The D is very fortunate to face teams with suspect offenses on our way to 6. If Brady does manage to have a bad game, he will be saved by Bortles, Foles/Keenum's suckage, which sucks... which is why I'm not too excited about the Superbowl this season... because the teams suck. It explains the ratings decline for sure.

I just wanted Brady (Patriots) vs Brees (Saints). 2 legit, older, HoF QBs dueling it out for possibly their last chance at a ring. Was that too much to ask for?

He had a good year in 16’ after ther SB miracle which made me think that was not a fluke. Sucks to see him struggle and let’s face it, if he’s second in the league for touch downs allowed he is. So while I’m certainly glad the Pats didn’t cave and give him Gillmore money like he wanted, I’d sure like to see him improve again either here or wherever he lands. He’s a good kid. I’m wondering if he is putting too much pressure on himself and overthinking it since he knows this is year to get paid.

PFF has him given up 8 TDs this season (2nd most in NFL) & a passer rating against of 103.9. That’s bad.

All we need is 2 more good games from him & he’ll go down in Patriots history as a SB hero & a vital cog of a 2nd dynasty by supplying the team with CB1 play for pennies on the dollar.

He’s as good as gone in FA & replacing his “production” won’t be difficult. He played statistically like the worst outside CB for us since McCourty in 2011.

He has the 2nd most targets of all CBs. Reason is Gilmore is on the other side.

With that said if you buy into the PFF grading system (I don't) they grade him as above average and 45th amongst all CBs.

Hes been up and down but overall fine.

Just need two more good games out of him

on the other hand. Gilmore who is supposedly "garbage" according to most pats fans here didnt allow a single catch against the Titans. and had a pretty nice swat away on a 3rd down.

He’s going to the titans next year ;)

But I think Gilmore is better and teams dont want to throw to his side so they take their chances against Butler and jsut due to the number of plays he gets beat sometimes....lets face the NFL has made it difficult on corners. I dont know if the numbers support this theroy but maybe.

I think butler is used up or he is so concerned about money it’s distracting him. I know this, if I’m throwing against New England, I’d toss it away from Gilmore even though he has been bad at times. He’s unpredictable

First TD was a hell of a catch. Last TD was garbage time.

Butler has been getting beaten more on cuts of various types this year, which seems like a focus and/or film study issue, but I didn't see him as having a terrible game on Saturday.

Sorry to shatter your dreams, but Butler was never a true shut down elite corner. He had one Superbowl magic move for the ages, and I will forwever be thankful for it, but Butler was never anythning more than your run of the mill above-average corners. Sometimes he was able to do his jobs, other times he wasn't - average. Seems he was more concerned about getting paid for what he did in that superbowl, than performing in the present TO GET PAID in the future. He's as good as gone.

I don't see much reason to complain. He's been a good enough CB2 in a very good secondary.

Easily replaceable? Sure. But he's been good enough for the team to accomplish their ultimate goal this season.

My read is the scheme and his requirements changed from last year with Gilmore on the field. Defensive backs do not necessarily perform the same in man and zone, and the defensive disaster early on showed fairly convincingly these players were not dropped into last year's defense. There were a ton of coordination issues, and in some of those games Butler looked on while Gilmore looked off.

Butler still looks to be himself, and he is a capable defensive back. I think his performance this year will hurt his asking price, and I would love to see him return. He still is aggressive and likes to hit, which makes him a good piece of the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots