PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Make your rookie projections!

Most overhyped: Gonzalez - he will be a starting caliber CB, just not the best DB in the Pats draft this year.
Most dogged on: Baringer & Ryland - they will both suffer the opprobrium of being kickers drafted ”too high” according to the mediots.
Most overlooked: White - he plays an unglamorous position and with Barmore will change opponents’ game plans.
Most surprising: Bolden - he will turn out to be as good or better than Gonzalez. Deion will have much to say about HBCU slights.

Most overhyped coming out of mini camp: Douglas. I think he's going to essentially be what Marcus Jones was for our offense last year. He's going to show that game breaking ability and fans/media will be all over it.

Most dogged on coming out of Mini Camp: Sow. I think it's going to take some time to get him going at tackle and hes going to need reps + time. Might underwhelm at first in camp. They've beefed up the depth which gives him the space + time needed.

Most overlooked: Mafi, because the starting guard positions are pretty much set. Folks won't be as tuned into his progression. I do think he's going to be a very good player.

Most surprising: Boutte. He will play much better than what a majority of folks expect.

Gonzalez - should develop into a solid starting CB at a minimum. Even if he's considered a less than tackler, his coverage skills should more than compensate in todays NFL. It will be heartbreaking if he busts

White - Right now he is Deatrich Wise on steriods, but I can see them wanting to give him some OLB duties as well given his freakish speed and ability to run with RBs. His upside is insane. Could be one of the big steals of the draft.

Mapu - Not sure how his pec will affect things his rookie season. If healthy I can see him flashing on special teams and be given some good opportunities in sub packages next year. I definitely think he projects as a solid starter and a tone setter on Defense. Maybe a role as a spy on Josh Allen?

Andrews - Redshirt season in 2023. Expect him to be a seamless replacement for D. Andrews and hopefully D. Andrews schools him well. Interesting to see how they squeeze him on the roster in 2023. Foxboro Flu perhaps? As a high 4th round pick, I can't imagine they would expose him to waivers. Any chance D. Andrews could be cut or traded? Hope not. He's one of the few leaders on this team.

Sow - No expectations for RT. If he's able to fill in in a backup roll there, that would be a decent perk. I do have pretty high expectations for him at guard. Not sure he's the next Onwenu, but I think he could be close. He'll make Onwenu expendable.

PK - Got my fingers crossed he becomes a solid and reliable PK. From what I've been told, he has made some clutch kicks in College. Should be fine in bad weather.

Punter - aka Wild Thing. I love this guy. Hope he's our guy for the foreseeable future.

Mafi - Not sure he has starter potential given his lack of movement skills. He obviously has plenty of beef though. I'd love to see him brought in on short yardage/goal line situations. Not sure how they keep him on the 53 unless he clearly outplays SOW.

Boutte - No expectations based on his health. I think he's a long shot to stick. Can he be put on the PUP and rehab for a year?

Douglas - IMO In order for this to be considered a VERY good draft, I think he really needs to develop starter potential. We went Defense and Special Teams heavy at the top and middle of the DRAFT at the expense of opportunity cost at the Offensive skill positions. If he turns into something it will put this Draft class over the top.

Bolden - zero expectations

Speed - ditto.

Most overhyped - I'm with others on Boutte. All the talk already has been how he could've been a first rounder if not for this or that, yadda yadda, potential huge steal if he gets right... well, what are the chances he gets right? He's not only got some maturity concerns (overblown IMO) but a nagging injury issue that's gone on a long, long time. If I had to place bets I'd say he ends up on IR for that same injury at cutdowns and everyone is sad about it.

Most dogged on - Mapu. People have already been calling him a reach, and he's making a big leap from Sacramento State to the NFL. He's a tweener type and it'll take time for him to find his place beyond special teams. I'm guessing he'll get bashed by the angrier posting contingent for a little while longer.

Most overlooked - Jake Andrews. Is anyone really talking about this guy? The second Andrews at center. No one really wants to see the current Andrews go anywhere, and they've already got Russey too. However, they took Andrews fairly high so they obviously like him and he may surprise and supplant Russey. There's just been almost zero chatter about Jake.

Most surprising - Maybe a hot take here, but I'm gonna say Malik Cunningham surprising - as a QB. Bill O'Brien is a QB guru and may be thinking he can find creative ways to use Cunningham in certain packages in 2023 while developing him as an NFL QB. He needs work, but he's a leader and he will put the work in if the Pats will give him the chance. Against 3rd string competition in preseason games he will put up numbers. I think a QB room of Mac, Zappe and Cunningham isn't too shabby.

Most overhyped: Gonzalez - he will be a starting caliber CB, just not the best DB in the Pats draft this year.
Most dogged on: Baringer & Ryland - they will both suffer the opprobrium of being kickers drafted ”too high” according to the mediots.
Most overlooked: White - he plays an unglamorous position and with Barmore will change opponents’ game plans.
Most surprising: Bolden - he will turn out to be as good or better than Gonzalez. Deion will have much to say about HBCU slights.
Hmm.. interesting. I don't believe gonzo is overhyped at all. Ty law recently said he's the real deal. Day 1 starter. Ty isn't going to just say that about any rookie. He'll have to learn to adapt quickly to the NFL like any other rookie.. however the transition isn't as challenging as it used to be say 15- 18 years ago.

Agreed on the most overlooked, Keon white will be a force. He, barmore, guy, wise, judon, that's a solid group!!

1. Most overhyped rookie: Boutte - everyone will go mental for him and he will end being cut.
2. Most dogged on rookie: Ryland - if he doesn't come out and absolutely nail it as a 4th round kicker people will get on him.
3. Most overlooked rookie: White - I don't think many people were excited by this pick but I could see him being a strong contributor this year given he has 3 down flexibility.
4. Most surprising rookie performer: Sow - He could be starting by mid-season at right tackle.
Gostkowski had a case of the yips early in his rookie season.

Last year I predicted it would be Jack Jones. Lucky guess on my part and I will be the first to admit that my predictions are far from 100%...far, far more like 20%

This year I am not so sure, but I feel that Demario Douglas will be a standout in camp.

The most exciting player will be Cunningham, for sure, with Demario Douglas a close second. Gawd, I hope the Patriots work Cunningham into their playbook--it will be a wicked unpleasant surprise when he is unveiled against, say, the Jets (revenge for them doing this to us). It will also make teams prepare for two different offenses. I hope, hope, hope that Cunningham's arm is good enough so he can make it as a QB.

I think that Gonzalez is not going to be the shutdown corner we are all hoping for, but will be very useful against bigger WRs and maybe even TEs. I doubt he can cover the small, quick WRs, but we will find out pretty quick in training camp when he goes against Demario Douglas and some other quick little smurfs. By "we" I mean the Patriots brain-trust; us peons will not find out unless one of the drunkard football beat writers actually pays attention (which has not been my experience at training camp but that was many years ago).

White may turn into a quiet, solid DE.

Meh, this one's easy.

Gonzo will be a starting outside CB and will be this year's Sauce.

White will flourish by mid-year, pairing with Barmore to drive QB's nuts from the interior.

Mapu will start a bit slowly, but will become that Pats version of Matt Milano, except better.

Andrews will back up Andrews and seamlessly flow in when needed.

Sow will battle Anderson at RT, and will battle Mafi at LG, as Strange becomes a great LT, taking over for RR mid-season.

Both kickers will be around for a decade, doing great.

Boutte and Douglas will be the best two receivers to come out this year.

Bolden will become a +++CB within two years.

Speed will join with Board, and our Speedboard will throttle returners.

Oh, and Malik Cunningham will become a Red Zone monster in short order, and will replace Mac if Jones doesn't take a team-friendly deal starting in year 5.

And Captain will complain about the draft anyway, just because that's his charm.

And if everything I said comes true, Craw will continue to complain about the one miss in every post for decades.

TBF they didn't have anyone else to play QB for rookie minicamp. No idea what's gonna happen in TC.
I agree. I also thought it could’ve been a smoke screen. Idk why they’d do it, but they’re secretive as hell about everything. Share photos of him doing QB drills that he only spent 20 mins doing, see a bit of what he’s got and have him take reps at other places the rest of the time. You never know with Bill & Co.

Hmm.. interesting. I don't believe gonzo is overhyped at all. Ty law recently said he's the real deal. Day 1 starter. Ty isn't going to just say that about any rookie. He'll have to learn to adapt quickly to the NFL like any other rookie.. however the transition isn't as challenging as it used to be say 15- 18 years ago.

Agreed on the most overlooked, Keon white will be a force. He, barmore, guy, wise, judon, that's a solid group!!
two things about gonzo. I’m not yet sure how gritty he is. Saw some claims he might be soft. That’s where I think he could fall short of the hype. Second thing is, I’m very high on Bolden. Might be wishful thinking on my part but his RAS is pretty darn close to gonzo’s, he’s a second generation NFL corner who transferred from FSU to be coached by Deion, and as Deion pointed out the HBCUs were greatly disrespected in the draft this year. I’ve got a suspicion that Bolden will show that if he had stayed at FSU he would’ve been a high,y touted prospect. So I expect him to greatly exceed expectations and thus be seen as overachieving, but also by performing at the same level as gonzo making gonzo look overhyped. I could be wrong about all that, but I have not seen anything yet to make me think otherwise. One other thing, if I’m correct and Bolden surprises by being competitive in camp it will give gonzo a chance to show what he’s made of, and how much grit he has. I’m looking forward to watching it play out.

Totally agree with you about the DL. I’m licking my chops at the prospect of Judon, Barmore, Keion, Uche, Guy, and Wise rotating up front. Opposing OLs will have some tough days. Combine that with what looks to be an improved secondary and this defense should be fun to watch. Regardless of how my fantasy about Bolden pans out, having gonzo joining the Jones boys, Jack, Jon, and Marcus, seems likely to be pretty strong to me.

I really, really hope that BB does not pull the usual BB tactic and dump Jack Jones (because he is not a super boy scout). The drafting of 3 CBs makes me think that this is in the cards, but you can never have too many good CBs....

If Gonzalez is a starter, you're saying that Bolden with start on the other side, displacing the 3 Joneses?

I really, really hope that BB does not pull the usual BB tactic and dump Jack Jones (because he is not a super boy scout). The drafting of 3 CBs makes me think that this is in the cards, but you can never have too many good CBs....
You also can't have players not listening to, disrespecting coaches. I mean, how do you run a team with a starter saying he's not going to listen to coaching?

Keion White requires a lot more development than people believe here. He hasn't played the position long and he's relatively raw.

I was a huge fan of drafting him in the 2nd, long before the draft.

But that's because it's very hard finding a tall, fast, strong 285 pound DE. He is rare when it comes to athleticism.

I don't expect anything much from him this year. Occasional snaps.

I see Anfernee Jennings taking snaps we believe would go to Keion White.

Keion White requires a lot more development than people believe here. He hasn't played the position long and he's relatively raw.

I was a huge fan of drafting him in the 2nd, long before the draft.

But that's because it's very hard finding a tall, fast, strong 285 pound DE. He is rare when it comes to athleticism.

I don't expect anything much from him this year. Occasional snaps.

I see Anfernee Jennings taking snaps we believe would go to Keion White.

I see him as a day one starter. With Barmore, White, and Judon on the line and a solid defensive backfield, offenses will face a dilemma.

You also can't have players not listening to, disrespecting coaches. I mean, how do you run a team with a starter saying he's not going to listen to coaching?

Wow, that bad? OK, I see you point if this is true, but maybe he will wise up this year. I think that the Patriots will see if his attitude has changed this year (and see how the new DBs pan out) before giving him the axe. Too bad; the Patriots could have a dominant defensive backfield if he sticks, but it seems unlikely he will.

Wow, that bad? OK, I see you point if this is true, but maybe he will wise up this year. I think that the Patriots will see if his attitude has changed this year (and see how the new DBs pan out) before giving him the axe. Too bad; the Patriots could have a dominant defensive backfield if he sticks, but it seems unlikely he will.
He was a rookie. Could be he learned his lesson. What was reported was that he didn't listen to his position coaches because they never played football. That applied to Mike Pellegrino who has been the CB coach now for 4 or 5 years.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back