PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mahomes will never be better than Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
can't stand the chiefs, but i enjoyed watching mahomes last night......his drive was full bore all night, he made some throws that were just unbelievable

debates as to who's greatest, who's better, yadda yadda yadda make for great fun on the interwebs, but at some point i'm ok just watching great players make plays, and that's ok
exactly right..I don't get the need for some people to try to knock down anyone who threatens Brady's legacy. It's childish and so silly. Mahomes is a great QB ,he doesn't need to win multiple SBs before people can say that. No OL, banged up foot, scrambling for his life and making throws no other QB could make. The guy IS A GREAT QB.

I actually like Mahomes. I think he's going to be a top 5 all-time QB when all is said and done, He didn't ask the media to label him as the "Baby Goat." With that said, I believe Mahomes will get another shot at Brady in another super bowl.

exactly right..I don't get the need for some people to try to knock down anyone who threatens Brady's legacy. It's childish and so silly. Mahomes is a great QB ,he doesn't need to win multiple SBs before people can say that. No OL, banged up foot, scrambling for his life and making throws no other QB could make. The guy IS A GREAT QB.
I feel it's mainly because TB always had doubts about his GOAT status. First it was vs Manning then Montana and now that they don't have anything left they try using Mahomes and Rodgers

In an era of salary caps, it be hard for Mahomes to achieve that. He is not going to be in the discussion with Brady for a long time. But he is an amazing athlete and made KC relevant. That team is going to be a force to be reckon with in the AFC.
Given his style, there's no way in hell he'll play long enough to catch Brady.

I agree 100% that Mahomes will never be as good as Brady, but what galls me is that all it will take the passage of some time, then maybe he wins an MVP or Lombardi (or both) and the usual mediots will go back to talking about him as if he was.

Just think about it.... going into the playoffs, some media morons were equating Rodgers (1 Championship) to Brady (6 Championships). Brady had to beat Rodgers to make those idiots shut up, but they just quickly morphed into equating Mahomes (1 championship) with Brady (6 championships).

And let's be honest.... if KC won yesterday, making it 6 to 2, there would be mediots out here right now at this very moment proclaiming Mahomes the greatest.

I agree 100% that Mahomes will never be as good as Brady, but what galls me is that all it will take the passage of some time, then maybe he wins an MVP or Lombardi (or both) and the usual mediots will go back to talking about him as if he was.

Just think about it.... going into the playoffs, some media morons were equating Rodgers (1 Championship) to Brady (6 Championships). Brady had to beat Rodgers to make those idiots shut up, but they just quickly morphed into equating Mahomes (1 championship) with Brady (6 championships).

And let's be honest.... if KC won yesterday, making it 6 to 2, there would be mediots out here right now at this very moment proclaiming Mahomes the greatest.
why do so many always equate someone being better than someone else because of SB wins? You do realize it's a team sport and the head coach plays a huge roll as well. Give a great QB a garbage team and do you think he wins the SB? There are many aspects to being a great QB. Brady excels mentally, being able to read the defense and knowing where to throw the ball. His accuracy on short and medium throws is his bread and butter. Mahomes is superior to Brady athletically. Brady could never do what Mahomes can do..but guess what, he doesn't have to. Anyone saying Mahomes isn't not a great QB because of this SB loss or because he hasn't done it long enough doesn't really know the game.

Mahomes is an awesome QB and the Chiefs will always be in contention while he's there. Imagine if the QB wasn't mobile tonight? Chiefs have the nucleus to at least return next year, but that will eventually erode if the team doesn't draft well.

I'm not saying in any way that the offensive line was even competent because they weren't, but did Mahomes really help the unit by scrambling around trying to make big play that weren't there? Either way they're not winning that game, ever, with that protection, but we've seen a lot of games where Brady struggles badly with a pass rush (Denver 2015 especially) but still manages to get the ball out very quickly and eventually give the team some chance of winning.

People say that Brady "can't handle the pressure" when he throws the ball away quickly or ducks a phantom pass rush, but holding the ball and running backwards like a game of playground tag is a sign of being totally rattled as well, even though people focus on the athleticism and effort.

In that situation as the QB, you damn well better know where the ball's going before the snap and get that out of your hands before 2 seconds.

This is why it's so difficult to evaluate quarterbacks and compare them; there are like an infinite amount of possibilities for the QB. Taking a 4-yard dumpoff may be a better play than scrambling backwards for five seconds and then throwing an insanely athletic pass that glances off someone's fingertips in the endzone.

why do so many always equate someone being better than someone else because of SB wins? You do realize it's a team sport and the head coach plays a huge roll as well. Give a great QB a garbage team and do you think he wins the SB? There are many aspects to being a great QB. Brady excels mentally, being able to read the defense and knowing where to throw the ball. His accuracy on short and medium throws is his bread and butter. Mahomes is superior to Brady athletically. Brady could never do what Mahomes can do..but guess what, he doesn't have to. Anyone saying Mahomes isn't not a great QB because of this SB loss or because he hasn't done it long enough doesn't really know the game.
Have you ever noticed how you never hear Dan Marino's name mentioned when people discussed the GOAT? Ever notice that?

Think about it.

I'm not saying in any way that the offensive line was even competent because they weren't, but did Mahomes really help the unit by scrambling around trying to make big play that weren't there? Either way they're not winning that game, ever, with that protection, but we've seen a lot of games where Brady struggles badly with a pass rush (Denver 2015 especially) but still manages to get the ball out very quickly and eventually give the team some chance of winning.

People say that Brady "can't handle the pressure" when he throws the ball away quickly or ducks a phantom pass rush, but holding the ball and running backwards like a game of playground tag is a sign of being totally rattled as well, even though people focus on the athleticism and effort.

In that situation as the QB, you damn well better know where the ball's going before the snap and get that out of your hands before 2 seconds.

This is why it's so difficult to evaluate quarterbacks and compare them; there are like an infinite amount of possibilities for the QB. Taking a 4-yard dumpoff may be a better play than scrambling backwards for five seconds and then throwing an insanely athletic pass that glances off someone's fingertips in the endzone.
Couldn’t really describe it better. Instead of getting the ball out in around 2 seconds and trying to utilize the short game, he just ran around like kids who were playing quarterback used to do when I was at recess. Your offensive line is already getting destroyed but that does them absolutely no favors.

Put Brady on the Chiefs and Mahomes on the Bucs and then it's the Chiefs who win by 3 scores.
Nice point.
I think it was [Bum Phillips who said of] Bear Bryant that, "He can beat your'n with his'n and he will beat his'n with your'n."

[edited]

Last edited:
Nice point.
I think it was Bear Bryant who said, "He can beat your'n with his'n and he will beat his'n with your'n."
I think that was Bum Phillips who said that about the Bear but I could be wrong

Yes Tom is the GOAT and even if the Chiefs had won the SB, TB would still be the GOAT undeniably. BUT...lets be fair and admit Brady had all day to throw in the pocket, a running game that was working and numerous bill out penalties.
Mahomes had a decimated OL and was running for his life and was playing against a vastly superior defense.

If Mahomes were on the Bucs and TB12 were on Kansas City it would have been a blow out in Mahomes favor.

These QB comparisons always fail to take into account the rest of the team.

why do so many always equate someone being better than someone else because of SB wins? You do realize it's a team sport and the head coach plays a huge roll as well. Give a great QB a garbage team and do you think he wins the SB?

Brady just went to a team that had the worst winning percentage of all four major sports, hadn't made the postseason in thirteen years, and finished 7-9 last year, and 5-11 in each of the two preceeding seasons. Bruce Arians was widely panned almost all season as being the reason the team will always be a pretender.

How about Mahomes? Hmmm...let's see. He took over a Chiefs team in 2018 with a head coach sporting one of the best winning percentages and best reputations of the modern era, though his quarterbacks were Donovan McNabb and Alex Smith. Reid took over a 2-14 Chiefs disaster in 2012 and had the following records under Alex Smith: 11-5, 9-7, 11-5, 12-4, 10-6. Smith, an average QB with big limitations by all accounts, also scored 40+ points on the Patriots in 2014 and 2017.

But yes, it was all about Bruce Arians and the Bucs being known for greatness and giving a quarterback a huge advantage, wheras Mahomes is the reason that the incompetent buffoon Andy Reid even has a job.

Have you ever noticed how you never hear Dan Marino's name mentioned when people discussed the GOAT? Ever notice that?

Think about it.
You're missing my point.

Gotta say, I love that Brady got the W, even if for another team.

That being said, why couldn't we have enjoyed one of these blowout SB's? Damnit Tom, I aged roughly an extra half year for each win. Which is 3 whole years because he won SIX lmao
I think if he'd had Fournette, Evans, AB, Miller, Godwin (and Gronk), he probably would have saved you a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes