PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mahomes' media love for incomplete passes

Both Moss & the Receiver should've had BOTH of those feckin passes...No feckin excuses.

#2MoreRingsIncluding19-0
I still can’t believe that the ultimate jump ball/go get it receiver would try and let that pass drop right into his hands instead of jumping for it.

All he has to do is jump and the game is going to OT.

Even with him waiting for it, a fingertip was the difference. Unreal.

you mean all sports media? Hmmmm. Not quite that easy.
No, just the ones that are focused on cheap thrills entertainment, rather than thoughtful analysis.
Try these on for size:

We are the most thin skinned fanbase there is.

You are correct in that we've become much more so.
The fans of the professional college football and basketball programs are the worst - Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Florida, Kentucky, Duke, etc. Their sense of entitlement resembles an ancient religion.

We are the most thin skinned fanbase there is

Nah, its Mahomes burn out. Its been nauseating going on year 4 now.

His 5hitty performance amounted to 26 completions at 49 attempts @ 53% completion rate 0 TDs and 2 INTs. The WRs did not drop all 23 incompletions. Mahomes is the new Brett Farve improvising sand lot football on the fly. He thinks that every play is a TD or that he can run for a 1st down. Mahomes is impatient and has to live up to his gunslinger reputation. Sometimes the best option is to throw the ball away and come back on the next series. Like Brady.

Yes, the wild throw's were impressive, but they are dangerous as well.

From King's top 10 list today. Finally, some sound analysis/thoughts re: Chiefs:

2. I think I’ve been thinking about the Super Bowl losers quite a bit this week, and this occurred to me: What if the 49ers stopped 2-3 Jet Chip Wasp last year? With 7:13 left in the Super Bowl against San Francisco, KC trailed 20-10 and had third-and-15 at its 35-yard line. This was four-down territory for Kansas City, but just imagine for a minute the Niners actually covering Tyreek Hill on that 44-yard pass play from Patrick Mahomes, and then stopped them on fourth down. I doubt Kansas City’s winning that game. And certainly the mystique of that offense doesn’t carry into this year.

3. I think the numbers are stark: In 16 drives over two Super Bowls—six last year through 51 minutes, 10 this year through 60 minutes—the Chiefs scored one touchdown. Lots of ifs and buts in life and in football, but with some of the trouble KC had scoring down the stretch this year, and with those 111 shaky Super Bowl offensive minutes, I’ll hold off on the Chiefs-as-next-dynasty talk.

From King's top 10 list today. Finally, some sound analysis/thoughts re: Chiefs:

2. I think I’ve been thinking about the Super Bowl losers quite a bit this week, and this occurred to me: What if the 49ers stopped 2-3 Jet Chip Wasp last year? With 7:13 left in the Super Bowl against San Francisco, KC trailed 20-10 and had third-and-15 at its 35-yard line. This was four-down territory for Kansas City, but just imagine for a minute the Niners actually covering Tyreek Hill on that 44-yard pass play from Patrick Mahomes, and then stopped them on fourth down. I doubt Kansas City’s winning that game. And certainly the mystique of that offense doesn’t carry into this year.

3. I think the numbers are stark: In 16 drives over two Super Bowls—six last year through 51 minutes, 10 this year through 60 minutes—the Chiefs scored one touchdown. Lots of ifs and buts in life and in football, but with some of the trouble KC had scoring down the stretch this year, and with those 111 shaky Super Bowl offensive minutes, I’ll hold off on the Chiefs-as-next-dynasty talk.
Tampa erased Hill like BB did in the 2018 AFCC. Hill had 3 catches for 34 yards at the start of the 4th quarter. Super Bowl LV - Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. Kansas City Chiefs - February 7th, 2021 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Quarters 1 - 3
1 - 14 yards
1 - (-1) yards
1 - 21 yards

Quarter 4
1 - 4 yards 5:43
1 - 7 yards 5:18
1 - 23 yards 4:17
1 - 8 yards 3:25
1 - 4 yards 2:00

Just imagine if KC lost Kelce? They would be finished for that season. I still believe that Hardman will be OK. He had a rough 2nd season, but the skills are all there.

Tampa erased Hill like BB did in the 2018 AFCC. Hill had 3 catches for 34 yards at the start of the 4th quarter. Super Bowl LV - Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. Kansas City Chiefs - February 7th, 2021 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Quarters 1 - 3
1 - 14 yards
1 - (-1) yards
1 - 21 yards

Quarter 4
1 - 4 yards 5:43
1 - 7 yards 5:18
1 - 23 yards 4:17
1 - 8 yards 3:25
1 - 4 yards 2:00

Just imagine if KC lost Kelce? They would be finished for that season. I still believe that Hardman will be OK. He had a rough 2nd season, but the skills are all there.
Mahomes monster contract will kick in fully after next season. He will count $24 mil against the cap in 2021 which be his biggest cap hit since they drafted him. After that it is $31 mil then $42 mil. And remember the cap is going down which is monumental for them in particular as they did their deals with the assumption that the cap would go up $10-15 mil and instead it is dropping by $15 mil if it does come in at $180. And of course next year may not be any better.

On top of that, they are going to lose defensive players this year. They will have to focus on the Oline. This is where it gets difficult. They have had a great 3 year run which is about all any team has before the cap/FA kicks and you have to retool just to maintain the same level of success. They also paid huge contracts to Kelce, Hill, Mathieu and Clark. They have a boat load of money tied up in just 5 players. They are going to have to draft out of their mind and also hope that they can fill in with some cheap FAs. It is interesting to me that they did not use Bell at all this year. Head scratching as he is a great receiver and RB. They can't afford to have those type of misses going forward. The AFC is stacked like never before with so many hungry teams with star QBs on their rookie contacts.

I really can't believe the Chiefs exposed Mahomes to such an incredible beating this entire postseason.

IIRC, he got his bell rung against the Browns and was placed in concussion protocol. He cleared it and played against the Bills, but clearly favoring his toe.

Against the Bucs, with both starting tackles out, Mahomes got hit a lot more than you'd like your franchise to be hit. It is going to be difficult for KC to put a supporting cast around Mahomes now that his $450 million extension begins ramping.

These are always interesting "what-ifs" to think about, like what if the Tuck Rule was called the other way, or what if Butler played in Super Bowl 52.

My problem with this particular example from King, is he offers NO alternative to HOW they would have stopped that play. It wasn't a fluke. It's the kind of play that results from the right playcall at the right time against the right defensive look, which is all part of a larger gameplan that is based on a full season's worth of film study (from both teams). Just saying, "What if KC didn't convert that 3rd down" isn't really that compelling to me, because I don't remember that play being unusual for KC to convert.

Nah, its Mahomes burn out. Its been nauseating going on year 4 now.

His 5hitty performance amounted to 26 completions at 49 attempts @ 53% completion rate 0 TDs and 2 INTs. The WRs did not drop all 23 incompletions. Mahomes is the new Brett Farve improvising sand lot football on the fly. He thinks that every play is a TD or that he can run for a 1st down. Mahomes is impatient and has to live up to his gunslinger reputation. Sometimes the best option is to throw the ball away and come back on the next series. Like Brady.

Yes, the wild throw's were impressive, but they are dangerous as well.
As a starter he’s been to the AFCCG won a super bowl and lost a super bowl. Do you expect the media to ignore how good he is? Did he play well in that super bowl? No. Was he really the only one on the Chiefs fighting until the final whistle? Pretty much. He’s a hell of a player and I came out of that super bowl with even more respect for him than I had going in.

I rewatched the game and being able to take the time to dissect it more:

1. Mahomes deserved the praise. He almost pulled rabbits out of his hat so many times and half the incompletes where balls that went right through the receivers hands.
  2. That TB defense played one for the ages. The only comps are, and I hate to say this, the 07 Giants, and I love to say this, and the 13 Seahawks where a team just shut down a machine. People will always talk about the Bears and Ravens but they played just meh offenses.
  3. The thing about Mahomes is he still have to learn how to read a defense and take what they're giving him. He locks in on Kelce and Hill too much still and when they're gone if he's still scrambling around he's not going to last.
  4. Andy Reid deserves so much blame. If he he had just settled in and run the ball they could have made it a ball game. I'm sure somewhere Brian Westbrook is nodding his head in agreement.
  5. All those penalties on KC were legit. A lot of times when I rewatch a game I'll think that's ticky tack but they're grabbing on every flipping play.

Considering the general level of praise Mahomes is receiving for his SB performance, it's surprising that Peter King isn't along for the ride. Several years ago, King was down on Cam Newton because Newton wouldn't agree to an interview with King. King finally got the interview and his coverage of Newton became more positive. I wonder if King isn't getting the access to Mahomes that he wants, hence the knocks on his play in both Super Bowls.

Mahomes will never last. He is already looking like an old man in some games with the beating he takes. Plus let's see what happens when Tyreek and Kelce fade.

Football is so much different from other sports. In basketball, you get a rising megastar like LeBron, Giannis, Durant, Kobe, etc. and they generally follow a similar career arc. For the first few years they continue to rise up, become better rounded, develop more confidence, and usually by year 4/5 they begin their peak as alpha male. Years 5-10 are usually prime championship years and even beyond that in many cases.

So it’s easy to project this rising arc of gradual improvement onto NFL quarterbacks.

But the thing is there is really no basis for it. Perhaps it’s the physical toll, the pressures of the position, the film breakdowns by defenses, but whatever the reason, the accepted norm of great quarterbacks continuing to rise over an 8-12 year career is largely a myth. It seems the goal of QBs is to be able to sustain and survive.

Really...how many quarterbacks in the last twenty years have ultimately gotten better as they age? Usually they peak in their first few years and then sustain. We say “he’ll learn to win the big game” and yet it always seems to get harder the later in the career.

I rewatched the game and being able to take the time to dissect it more:

1. Mahomes deserved the praise. He almost pulled rabbits out of his hat so many times and half the incompletes where balls that went right through the receivers hands.
  2. That TB defense played one for the ages. The only comps are, and I hate to say this, the 07 Giants, and I love to say this, and the 13 Seahawks where a team just shut down a machine. People will always talk about the Bears and Ravens but they played just meh offenses.
  3. The thing about Mahomes is he still have to learn how to read a defense and take what they're giving him. He locks in on Kelce and Hill too much still and when they're gone if he's still scrambling around he's not going to last.
  4. Andy Reid deserves so much blame. If he he had just settled in and run the ball they could have made it a ball game. I'm sure somewhere Brian Westbrook is nodding his head in agreement.
  5. All those penalties on KC were legit. A lot of times when I rewatch a game I'll think that's ticky tack but they're grabbing on every flipping play.

You’re selling the Pat ‘01 short. We were 2 scores underdog and kept the Greatest Show quiet for 3 quarters and won the game.

I guess we can disagree on what’s fun to watch.

I guess it’s not fun to notice that Vea is lined up outside and will bullrush your LT. And to call your TE to go to other side to chip in to help to buy you a few seconds. And to notice that the safeties are leaning a bit to the stacked receivers and that the underneath RB wheel route will be open for. 10-12 yard gain after you fake the safeties away with your eyes.
And Brady is deemed boring. And defense is blamed for not getting pressure on Brady. And OLine is praised for giving him time. And defense is blamed for not covering underneath route and leaning to stacked WRs. And Brady gets no credit.

It’s so much more fun to expect your stacked WR combo to beat the safeties with speed, and for the TE to give you a second read as well. And to hope your protection holds up, and to look at the underneath/checkdown route as an insult. And the protection breaks immediately and you scramble for your life for 15 seconds and the WRs run all the way across the field and you hurl it as a mini Hail Mary in a show of superhuman strength and the ball either hits your player (genius!!) or is intercepted (like by Devin White at end / had no option). And in both cases Mahomes looks like a fighter and a star and has grit. And he’s fighting. And his OLing let him down. And his WRs couldn’t get open. And he has superhuman prowess and ability. And he deserves all the praise.

What’s more fun?

An extraordinarily exaggerated presentation of a cherry-picked narrative.

No one is taking credit away from Brady; he's the GOAT QB in the history of the NFL. He won his 7th Super Bowl. He outplayed Mahomes a few Sundays ago. Nothing about Brady's style of play is boring - in fact, his graceful elegance in the pocket, calm yet quick feet, the way he uses his eyes, and his throwing technique all make him extraordinarily enjoyable to watch because it's so clean, efficient, and technical. He's a marvel to watch play the game.

Stating that Mahomes played well despite the circumstances, and that he's generally an elite quarterback, does not take credit away from Brady's accomplishments and legacy.

As a starter he’s been to the AFCCG won a super bowl and lost a super bowl. Do you expect the media to ignore how good he is? Did he play well in that super bowl? No. Was he really the only one on the Chiefs fighting until the final whistle? Pretty much. He’s a hell of a player and I came out of that super bowl with even more respect for him than I had going in.
The media frenzy is over the top.

Russell Wilson has also won a Super Bowl and lost a Super Bowl. I did not see this kind of hero worship for him and hes a 3rd round pick. Wilson did not get his butt beat in a Super Bowl like Mahomes just did. Wilson lost his 2nd Super Bowl because his sideline called a play that the GOAT HC was ready for. Wilson also beat a HOF QB in a Super Bowl. Jimmy is a wannabe.

Im glad that a player who just signed a $450 million dollar contact and deposited the tidy sum of $63 million in his bank account played for 60 minutes. I would have more respect for him if he just took what Tampa was giving him instead of playing Texas Tech gunslinger. But, thats not exciting dinking and dunking down the field. This game was very similar to the 2001 Pats vs Rams super bowl where Martz and Warner refused to stop throwing because they were the greatest show on turf.

The Chiefs led the NFL in penalties and were 3rd in defensive holding, but just like Martz, Andy Reid believes that the Chiefs can throw their way out of any problem.

Mahomes needs to change his style of play. His knee took a shot in 2019 where he missed time and in 2020 something happened to his toe and he was knocked out. One of these times when Mahomes acts like hes running out of bounds, but stops and turns upfield gaining 5 more yards will go wrong.

Mahomes will never last. He is already looking like an old man in some games with the beating he takes. Plus let's see what happens when Tyreek and Kelce fade.
Twice the "Wife Beater" was made invisible and twice KC goes home without hats and t shirts.

Brady has won Super Bowls with different WRs, RBs and TEs all the time. If you took away Deon Branch, Brady would just go to Troy Brown or David Givens. No problem. The NE offense didnt grind to a halt like KC.

You’re selling the Pat ‘01 short. We were 2 scores underdog and kept the Greatest Show quiet for 3 quarters and won the game.

Fair point.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back