PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac on Monday Night

Something I want to add, is that Mac at times look dog ass tired. One of the side befits here is that he didn’t take many hits, and his arm got a nice little break. Add those things to the time between the next game, and it could mean a big difference for a rookie down the stretch. Also, not implying they did that intentionally, but possibly a nice side benefit of the way things played out.

Something I want to add, is that Mac at times look dog ass tired. One of the side befits here is that he didn’t take many hits, and his arm got a nice little break. Add those things to the time between the next game, and it could mean a big difference for a rookie down the stretch. Also, not implying they did that intentionally, but possibly a nice side benefit of the way things played out.

Mac should always look dog assed tired. Jim Brown was famous for getting up and back to the huddle as slowly as possible, and when he was asked about it after his career was over he said it was because he wanted them to think he was beat. Then he would tear off 35 more yards.

You know the narrative all week from the media is going to be that the Patriots don't trust Mac Jones to throw. And he has a problem in strong winds.

Which may have some truth to it. I mean Tom Curran said while Mac has amazing touch, accuracy and throws a catchable ball. He doesn't have the arm zip of a josh Allen.

But I think once pats got up a score with the wind and how we were running bill just said "we are going to best them running the ball" not to mention we know Bill has no respect for Josh Allen
I'll take Mac's accuracy over Josh's zip.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Mac's role vs. the Bills was more crucial than it appeared: He called quite a few audibles at the line of scrimmage changing running plays/blocking assignments based on what the defense showed. It's not always about passing.

My biggest concern with Mac throwing 3 times is it indicates that the coaches do not think he can throw in bad conditions.
Throwing in Monday's conditions was a losing proposition. Average yards gained per attempt for Allen's throws was lower than the 4.9 yards the Patriots gained per run. Allen's completion rate 10+ yards beyond the LOS was 1 in 6. He came within inches of being picked off on a handful of throws.
We know he does not have a strong arm but that game plan emphatically told us that they don't believe he can handle wind at all. This a concern because we are the top seed and the weather in Foxboro will likely be much worse in January than it was on Monday.
Which of course is nonsense - another game in 55mph wind gusts is very unlikely, never mind one with conditions "much worse" - that's why the comparisons on Monday usually went back to games 10 or 15 years ago.

I'll take Mac's accuracy over Josh's zip.

I’ll take Max’s winner stink over all of the flash.

After Belichick traded Bledsoe to Buffalo the Bills had a game where they ran it all day and won, and in the presser afterwords Bledsoe was asked about it he wondered aloud about why they brought him there if that was what they wanted to do. When I heard him say it I realized it was one of the major reasons Belichick got rid of him, he thought that his passing game matters more than their win, and listening to Kurt Warner and Aaron Rodgers talk about itje Patriots win on Monday Night simply reinforces how many QB’s are more concerned with themselves than the outcome. Brady was the opposite, he only cared about executing the win, not his interests, and that’s why he combined with Belichick for 6 Lombardi’s. Win the game, period, that’s what actually matters, not the rest of the bullish.t.

Josh has a howitzer and runs like a halfback. Has great receivers. But he has happy feet in the pocket and has thrown more picks than the rook. We’ll see him again in a couple weeks.

My biggest concern with Mac throwing 3 times is it indicates that the coaches do not think he can throw in bad conditions. We know he does not have a strong arm but that game plan emphatically told us that they don't believe he can handle wind at all. This a concern because we are the top seed and the weather in Foxboro will likely be much worse in January than it was on Monday.
Back to Tompa Town, or chiefs planet with you!

Not an expert (or remotely close) on Xs and Os, so perhaps someone could answer this. How much would Mac (or any QB) be involved in a run focussed game? Is the QB making adjustments based on the defence etc to give his runner the best chance of making yards?
Too many variables to know really. What year QB? How much freedom to change plays? Weather. Down and distance. Score. Offensive cohesion (meaning have they shown they all quickly and easily shift plays, protections, blocking, etc or do they make frequent mistakes like false starts, wrong routes, wrong blocks, etc).

That said I was actually surprised they didn't run the hard run fake to one side, QB naked bootleg to the other they ran with Eitling and Brissett (for TDs BTW). Isn't Mac as fast as Brissett? Given the only run "plays" they have called with Mac so far are sneaks it likely had some chance of success.

A well coached team should have seen this and made adjustments
This is part of why they didn't throw either. Buffalo trots out a 5-3-3 alignment or something the Patriots probably have to (and do) throw but they kept 4-5 DBs (incl. one for Harry) out there all night.

My biggest concern with Mac throwing 3 times is it indicates that the coaches do not think he can throw in bad conditions. We know he does not have a strong arm but that game plan emphatically told us that they don't believe he can handle wind at all. This a concern because we are the top seed and the weather in Foxboro will likely be much worse in January than it was on Monday.

Considering your (prolific) sentiments expressed in the Brady forum, your true "concern" appears finding shade to throw at Mac. A genuine Dis Array disciple.

Last edited:
Too many variables to know really. What year QB? How much freedom to change plays? Weather. Down and distance. Score. Offensive cohesion (meaning have they shown they all quickly and easily shift plays, protections, blocking, etc or do they make frequent mistakes like false starts, wrong routes, wrong blocks, etc).

That said I was actually surprised they didn't run the hard run fake to one side, QB naked bootleg to the other they ran with Eitling and Brissett (for TDs BTW). Isn't Mac as fast as Brissett? Given the only run "plays" they have called with Mac so far are sneaks it likely had some chance of success.
I was expecting that also. Maybe Bill just didn't think it was worth to expose him physically.

Hey all. First off let me say obviously I'm happy we won. The game plan that Bill and the staff came up with worked and we got the W. So when I ask this don't come back at me with a BS "Well, it worked!" take. I know it worked, that's not the point. The point is I feel this game was in doubt way too close too its end.

That said, what do you think of the way Mac was (or rather, wasn't) used on Monday night in Buffalo? I'm not a fan of it. Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying he should have been slinging it all over the place, and I understand the strategy of not taking risk when we have the lead, but the Bills were one play away from winning this game and I don't think it needed to be that close. The biggest issue for me with him not throwing at all is that it allowed Buffalo to T up on our runners and make moving the ball on the ground much more difficult than it needed to be. It's a credit to our O-Line, Harry's blocking (We won't mention that other thing he did) and our backs that we were able to move the ball, but it would have been nice to see it mixed up just a little bit to keep the defense honest and stop us from being one dimensional.

The risk vs. reward thing can be mitigated. You could have had Mac throw all his passes low, toward the receiver's feet so that only they could have made the catch. You could have done short passes, passes behind the LOS and only when we had the wind at our backs. We also could have done other things to mix it up like use some wildcat formation It just really irks me that Bill didn't trust Mac enough to let him do those things. And if it's an experience thing why not put Hoyer in there? I thought that Mac was making progress this season and that Bill trusted him and this just seemed to bring it to a screeching halt. Do we all think if we had Brady still he would have been used the same way?

Anyway, we've got the bye week so we need something to argue about. So I thought I'd give us this. :D
At some point Bill is going to have to take the reins off Mac. How can you expect him to grow if you don't?

That being said I wanted him to quit throwing after the 1 completion because of his 100% completion rating :)

And comparison with Allen - only a handful of completions outside the numbers.

Thanks, very helpful... I count it as 2-13 in passes of 10 yards or more. Maybe the QB best able to push the ball down the field into a strong wind, was ineffective doing it. The opposing coach was right in chosing not to try to do it.

Random - Mac can be 0 for his next 126 passes and still have a higher completion % than JAllen's rookie year. Just needs to throw 60% for the next 4 games assuming 30 Att per game to get the rookie record.

Josh has a howitzer and runs like a halfback. Has great receivers. But he has happy feet in the pocket and has thrown more picks than the rook. We’ll see him again in a couple weeks.

He also tends to run backwards like 10 yards when under pressure rather than throw it away. That's how the Patriots got them with that missed field goal. He ran like 10 yards back and then got sacked

Random - Mac can be 0 for his next 126 passes and still have a higher completion % than JAllen's rookie year. Just needs to throw 60% for the next 4 games assuming 30 Att per game to get the rookie record.

Mac passing 77% in the SEC was insane and 71% as a NFL rookie is incredible. These yards per throw stats are meaningless when we're talking about one of the best completers of passers in the entire league.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back