• Franchise Player/ Star

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • Average- Above average player

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Bust

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is a dumb thread that even for sake of argument comes at least a year too early.

How would anyone have an informed opinion about Mac's ceiling before he takes a single snap at NFL level ?

Here's another doozy.. "I don’t think Jones has reached his ceiling. In fact, I wonder if he isn’t the best quarterback in this class. At the very least, I think he’s closer than most think."

Jonesy just needs to have a health/fitness guru to give him more muscle, increase his cardio and work with a QB guru to improve any angle of throws. His techniques are sound which is the hard part.

Get that beer belly into a 6-pack.

SF WOWOWOWOW..(SPEECHLESS) .

Tape doesn't lie, dude can play. Tua didn't play anyway remotely close to how Jones did.
I agree that their style of play was totally different. Jones always makes the right play and takes what is given him, if it isn't there he throws the ball away or takes the sack, always does the high percentage intelligent move, like a coach on the field. Tua was totally different, super natural with a creative intelligence, always trying to extend or make some amazing play (which happened plenty of times). Jones had better numbers, but I would argue that in college their effectiveness, but not their style, was similar when healthy. The problem was that Tua was always getting hurt, at least partially because of that "never give up on a play", "do something amazing every snap", "run around until a receiver gets open" style.

Mac Jones style is really a perfect fit for the Patriots and their cerebral approach to football. It remains to be seen if Tua can achieve a goof fit with the Dolphins, last year he really toned it down and even seemed to even get too conservative (doubtlessly at the request of the coaches) with decidedly mixed results.

Jonesy just needs to have a health/fitness guru to give him more muscle, increase his cardio and work with a QB guru to improve any angle of throws. His techniques are sound which is the hard part.

Get that beer belly into a 6-pack.

Oh im sure the patriots will have trainers work with him both on his fitness/conditioning as well as his technique.

I don't know enough about collage football to know if this kids gonna excel, but I hope his conversation with Bob Kraft goes like this.
Kraft : Hey you must be the new kid, we took you in the 1st round right?
Mac: Yeah, you did Mr Kraft, there were quit a few QB's taken before me, but yeah You took me at number 15.
Kraft: Well I hope you do well, welcome to the team.
Mac: Mr kraft,, I'm going to be the second best decision your team has ever made and I'm fine with that.
Kraft: This is the second best conversation I've ever had.

This is a dumb thread that even for sake of argument comes at least a year too early.

How would anyone have an informed opinion about Mac's ceiling before he takes a single snap at NFL level ?
No it's not. Mac Jones is going to be the greatest QB of all time

I like to think he will be really good in the right system and coaching, which the Patriots have. Expecting his career to be somewhere between Big Ben and Kirk Cousins.

Nobody can possibly hate the fact the Pats paid absolutely nothing to pick him up. The fact they made the pick that quickly tells me there is a lot of truth to the "we wanted him all along" idea that was put out there by the team.
Kid could be anywhere from Kirk Cousins to Peyton Manning. Who knows. If we are to buy what some analysts say he has off the charts intangibles. He could also prove to be an above average QB for a perennial wild card playoff team. It will be very interesting to see how it turns out.

Reactions: sb1
Hes Pat Mahomes WOW?

My point is he doesn't jump off film.

Doesn't mean he needs to.

Hell, Tom didn't.

Who would you rather have Mahommes or Brady? Who gaf if he isn't throwing a ball while sideways in a game he's losing to the GOAT?

He's the guy that fits the scheme the best.

I'd like to see Mahommes do it without the 2nd best offensive weapons in the league

There is absolutely nothing to complain about with this pick. He wasn't a reach. Hes a solid, but not elite talent with a 1st round grade. The player's strengths map perfectly with the organization and system's needs.

I couldn't be happier

Agree with this. I didn’t want them to move up for Jones but I’m fine with them taking him at #15. Only time will tell if he can become a franchise QB for them, but they have to do everything possible to fix that need, and this was the right step in that direction.

This board may be shocked when I say this, but I actually like this pick. Bill had to take a QB. And the best part is that Bill did not have to give up anything unlike the imploding 9ers who gave up a ton for probably no reason.

I like Jones’s mechanics, very accurate and has a clean release. I know this is something you don’t want to hear, but his style reminds me of Eli Manning.

He is the best of quarterbacks, he is the worst of quarterbacks...

This board may be shocked when I say this, but I actually like this pick. Bill had to take a QB. And the best part is that Bill did not have to give up anything unlike the imploding 9ers who gave up a ton for probably no reason.

I like Jones’s mechanics, very accurate and has a clean release. I know this is something you don’t want to hear, but his style reminds me of Eli Manning.
Eli? No way. I have been watching films like these since November 2020 when I said he was the heir apparent. I need to find my post about Mac and Barmore.

Watch some of these throws. Can Cam throw them?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back