PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones OROY discussion

His touch is absurd and it's only going to get better.

When I see Mac throw, I don't see Brady.

I see this guy.

I see it with Montana, but Jones is more tethered and doesn't throw on the run much. And he reminds me of Brees (before his arm fell off), but much taller.

Watching Herbert yesterday, he makes great throws and it's obvious what he is, but there were two touch passes when completions were needed that were ok, but not Mac Jones.

And the receivers dropped them.
Mac throws a very, very catchable ball.

I see it with Montana, but Jones is more tethered and doesn't throw on the run much. And he reminds me of Brees (before his arm fell off), but much taller.
Good point on Brees. I see that.

“…I don’t feel we’ve done the greatest job the last few years, and I really hope — and I believe — I’ve seen a different approach this year.”

Shout everyone down. Good strategy. Always makes you right.

I agree with Kraft. No more drafting for role players or needs. We need more talent. Let's take a different approach.

I mean, Jones had me gasping at least a few times yesterday... some of those throws were really something to behold
I guess as opposed to Mahomes doing his no look BS or running around making his line work harder while he tries to make a play out of nothing instead of taking a short gain and moving on to the next down.

Shout everyone down. Good strategy. Always makes you right.

I agree with Kraft. No more drafting for role players or needs. We need more talent. Let's take a different approach.
Except that wasn’t what Kraft was saying at all. Not anywhere close to what he was saying. That’s just you twisting it into what you would like to believe, probably because you’ve spent those years telling everyone that the drafts were actually good and, instead of just making peace with the fact that time, results, the owner, and the moves proved you wrong, you’re instead picking this very odd hill to die on.

Except that wasn’t what Kraft was saying at all. Not anywhere close to what he was saying. That’s just you twisting it into what you would like to believe, probably because you’ve spent those years telling everyone that the drafts were actually good and, instead of just making peace with the fact that time, results, the owner, and the moves proved you wrong, you’re instead picking this very odd hill to die on.

No many drafts were not good. What has been said that would make you think I thought differently? Six Super Bowls? I agree it doesn't.

What do you think "different approach" means?

Faster players?
Better players??
Bigger players???

I think "different approach: means stretching for talent, rather than focusing on specific needs. And they were late to the party with this change.

Of course you go right to "different approach" means Krafts is saying his best asset sucks at drafting. Yeah that's exactly what he meant.

Shout the loudest and it's true.

Hopefully he'll develop a deep ball to match what Brees was able to do in his prime

Mac Jones already has a great deep ball, was one of the best deep ball throwers last year, and the last 4 weeks his 20+ yard throw stats are off the charts. All he needed was time in the pocket and the OLine to be good. It's not even like he developed it recently, he has had this skill since Week1 but never had more than 2 seconds to throw until a month ago.

No many drafts were not good. What has been said that would make you think I thought differently? Six Super Bowls? I agree it doesn't.

What do you think "different approach" means?

Faster players?
Better players??
Bigger players???

I think "different approach: means stretching for talent, rather than focusing on specific needs. And they were late to the party with this change.

Of course you go right to "different approach" means Krafts is saying his best asset sucks at drafting. Yeah that's exactly what he meant.

Shout the loudest and it's true.
I don’t have to shout you down. The owner did that for me. I’m assuming you’re being intentionally obtuse with this post, but the different approach was pretty clear. Caserio - gone. Wolf - in. Listen to the scouts more than you have in previous years. Football is a business. In business, what you’ve always done will get stale and there will come a time to shake things up. They did just that in the offseason. That’s actually one of Bill’s best attributes as a GM - he knows when he’s doing something wrong, admits the obvious, and adjusts accordingly. The results of this year’s crop compared to previous years speak for themselves. But then you just admitted…

No many drafts were not good.

…so it would seem that you’re in agreement. Now ask yourself why you’re even bothering to carry on this debate.

I don’t have to shout you down. The owner did that for me. I’m assuming you’re being intentionally obtuse with this post, but the different approach was pretty clear. Caserio - gone. Wolf - in. Listen to the scouts more than you have in previous years. Football is a business. In business, what you’ve always done will get stale and there will come a time to shake things up. They did just that in the offseason. That’s actually one of Bill’s best attributes as a GM - he knows when he’s doing something wrong, admits the obvious, and adjusts accordingly. The results of this year’s crop compared to previous years speak for themselves. But then you just admitted…

No many drafts were not good.

…so it would seem that you’re in agreement. Now ask yourself why you’re even bothering to carry on this debate.

Was it listen to the scouts when he drafted the first two players from Alabama? Seems like Bill's fingerprints to me.

My disagreement is that you think the owner is agreeing with you. I don't think the owner is saying the team has done a bad job of drafting. The staleness was mostly going from dynasty to rebuild where role players were still the focus.

And while I agree there were bad drafts I think the Patriots were trying to stretch the dynasty. One year they had like 4 picks and people still slam that one. They also had bad luck with unusual health issues with a couple of high picks that wasn't from lack of homework.

I like you as a poster so let's carry on. Was just having some fun, but meant every word.

Was it listen to the scouts when he drafted the first two players from Alabama? Seems like Bill's fingerprints to me.

Seeing as Bill is on camera before submitting the first pick asking them if they were all alright with it, it seems as if he listened to them.

My disagreement is that you think the owner is agreeing with you. I don't think the owner is saying the team has done a bad job of drafting.

He point blank said the team had done a bad job of drafting and made changes. The owner isn’t agreeing with me. I’m agreeing with the owner. The proof is in the pudding.

The staleness was mostly going from dynasty to rebuild where role players were still the focus.

Nonsense. For one, if that were the case, Kraft would have just said that. For another, you’re trying to draft talented players to help your team regardless of whether it’s a rebuild or you’re trying to compete. They did a better job of that this year. The drafts were mediocre to bad from 2014-2020.

And while I agree there were bad drafts I think the Patriots were trying to stretch the dynasty. One year they had like 4 picks and people still slam that one. They also had bad luck with unusual health issues with a couple of high picks that wasn't from lack of homework.

I like you as a poster so let's carry on. Was just having some fun, but meant every word.

Fair enough.

I put Chase on the inside lane right now, but he is definitely trending in the wrong direction these past 2 weeks.

my fantasy team has noticed :(

LOL at your LOL!

You think it's a coincidence Bill moved up to get Barmore when it made the most sense to stretch for talent.

You think it was coincidence Bill moved up to get Gronk in 2010 when it made the most sense to stretch for talent.

Just always be cynical when someone understands the landscape better than you. (And I mean BB, not me)

i suppose as much a coincidence as all the terrible draft picks he made too

This latest draft class may be BB's best draft yet, but we don't need to pretend that outside of the last 2 years, the drafts have been pretty terrible. Both things can be true at the same time.

Considering how close to the vest and politically correct Kraft is, I took his statement as a direct shot at BB straight across his bow, in as polite a way as possible because he doesn't have a mean streak in him... but he's a billionaire that has the highest paid coach/executive in the league running his team, so he will and should call him out if he feels hes not meeting expectations, and thats what he did, because the drafts were pretty terrible and it was slowly depleting the team of talent

Whatever they did to change their process seemed to work, because they've drafted a few gems these last couple years that are going to be the core of this team for the next 5+ years! I'm glad Kraft had the fortitude to call BB out and hold him accountable, because BB needed to do a better job as an executive, which is exactly what he demands of all his players and coaches, and BB answered the call

I was listening to Moving the Chains on NFL radio yesterday, they were discussing OROY candidates. Pat Kirwin said he thought Jones would win it. He said that Jones would win in any system, its not the pats system, its that Jones plays far beyond his years, that he makes decisions and plays under pressure that would be difficult for a veteran to make. He projected Jones to throw for over 4,000 yards and maybe 25+tds, that would really impressive for a rookie. He went on to say that while j chase is having a great rookie season, the award usually goes to a QB.

Last edited:
Sorry this isn't about a Mac or Chase issue. It's a QB/WR issue.....and its simple. The QB touches the ball 60-70 plays EVERY game. A WR MIGHT get 8-10 touches on a GOOD day. So when a Rookie QB is having a good year compared to all QB's and a rookie WR is a having a GREAT year for a WR, their impacts are simply not the same. That rookie QB will impact his team's success MUCH more than the rookie WR.

Hasn't 20 years with Bill shown us how ANY position player, not matter how great. can be shut down or at least "controlled" by scheme. We've seen it over an over again against great WR's, RB's, DE's, OLB's, ,DT's, CB's. etc. But QB's not so much because not only do they touch the ball a LOT more than anyone else and, they can do more with it.

So regardless of Chase's remarkable year, all things being equal, he's going to lose against a QB every time. In fact, I'd much rather consider an offensive lineman than a WR, in that what he does is also impactful 50-70 times a game.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back