PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones OROY discussion

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Mods can merge with the Mac appreciation thread if it should be there.

ESPN thinks that saying Mac has this award locked up is NOT an overreaction which is interesting.

Right now I still believe it’s Chase 1 and Mac 2 and it’s a lot closer than it was before yesterday. I agree with the article that QB’s usually get the benefit of the doubt over receivers. More games like yesterday and if the Pats make the playoffs Mac will steal this thing right back from Chase.

QB's will always get an edge because of how difficult (and rare) it is for a rookie to play well right away. But Chase is on pace for over 1500 yards (just under if you think of it over 16 games for equal comparisons). Those are hard numbers to ignore.

Now, it's VERY possible (even likely) that Chase slows down as the long season wears on, the weather gets colder, and teams start to focus on him more. But right now, I agree he's got a slight edge over Mac.

If Mac can have a killer second half it’ll likely be his because he’s a QB but he has ground to make up because Chase has been unreal.

It has to be Mac’s to win right now. Chase has been very good but it’s tougher to transition from college to the NFL as a QB than as a WR.

He has a very good shot. Chase has slowed down a bit.

He has a very good shot. Chase has slowed down a bit.
Yup, 9 catches for 81 yards total in the last two games.

His team has slowed down too. If they collapse out of the playoffs I think Mac beats him by several lengths at the end of the season.

Rashawn Slater has been really good too but all the skill position rookies have to be meh for an OT to get the award.

A receiver is more likely to hit the rookie wall than a QB if that matters.

8 games to go but if Mac continues to play consistent and we finish with 10 or 11 wins (or more) then I don't know how you can't give it to him.

A receiver is more likely to hit the rookie wall than a QB if that matters.
Not necessarily. QB has way more to process and manage. I think injury is more likely for the receiver though.

Hard to say. Unless chase slows down hes on pace for over 1500 yards. That’s insane for a rookie. And I feel like with these awards theyll go for the flash over the stuff like macs composure / poise and other stuff that makes his performance amazing.

And Barmore might be defensive rookie of the year.

Not to mention Rhamondre Stevenson.

But Bill can't draft.
Not really sure why you’re going there since Kraft himself admitted that what they were doing in recent years wasn’t working and they needed to change things up. Regardless, this is looking like an excellent draft thus far.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Hard to say. Unless chase slows down hes on pace for over 1500 yards. That’s insane for a rookie. And I feel like with these awards theyll go for the flash over the stuff like macs composure / poise and other stuff that makes his performance amazing.
Mac keeps making plays like that TD rope to Bourne and there will be plenty of flash in his portfolio. That was a big boy play, on both ends.

I put Chase on the inside lane right now, but he is definitely trending in the wrong direction these past 2 weeks.

I put Chase on the inside lane right now, but he is definitely trending in the wrong direction these past 2 weeks.
LSU sure has had some receivers - unfortunately no QBs outside of Burrows

And Barmore might be defensive rookie of the year.

Not to mention Rhamondre Stevenson.

But Bill can't draft.

BB is the best GM of the last 20 years mostly due to 2001-2004 and 2009-2012 periods, and his ability to find random elite UDFA's. And did have crappy drafts from 2013-2019 and 2005-2008. So BB is also influenced by the guys on his staff. So Glad that Eliot Wolf and Groh have helped fix the long string of crappy drafts

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back