PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones interview: someone show BB 1:50 in this vid

Alabama has a #1 draft class next season to replace all the players that the will lose this year.

I would assume that Jones has played his way into round 1. Now the question, will he be any good. I worry when I read comparisons to Matt Barkley and AJ McCarron types. On the other hand, you can look toward the likes of Baker Mayfield or Joe Burrow as 1 year wonder types who dominated the college game and have transferred that succcess to the pro level.

Waddle played only four games let's give him credit. He had 557 yards, 161 against one of the best defenses in country Georgia and 142 against Texas A&M. He was definitely on to a 1000+ season and easy 10+ TD. Of Course after the Waddle injury Smith was the go to guy, it helped his production.
Waddle has insane speed and looket like a better receiver than ruggs. He showed improvement to be a more complete WR than just deep threat.

It's not just this year. Last year he also only had 550 yards. He doesn't actually produce. Don't want to bust on another Chad Jackson pick especially with an OC who thought Tim Tebow was a 1st rounder, and also vouched for Maroney, Chad Jackson, and NKeal Harry. Just stay away from offense entirely with our first pick.

It's not just this year. Last year he also only had 550 yards. He doesn't actually produce. Don't want to bust on another Chad Jackson pick especially with an OC who thought Tim Tebow was a 1st rounder, and also vouched for Maroney, Chad Jackson, and NKeal Harry. Just stay away from offense entirely with our first pick.
Comparing him to Henry Ruggs stats they look similar even a little bit favourite for Waddle i would say with thinking of giving waddle a full 2020 season. Our WR draft picks were questionable I agree for sure. The thing is I don't see that we can make a huge mistake by taking Waddle at 15. Of course he couldn't show the overall more complete WR Package this year cause of the injury but he flashed and offers us sth, our offense doesn't have. Big Play Ability and speeeed

Comparing him to Henry Ruggs stats they look similar even a little bit favourite for Waddle i would say with thinking of giving waddle a full 2020 season. Our WR draft picks were questionable I agree for sure. The thing is I don't see that we can make a huge mistake by taking Waddle at 15. Of course he couldn't show the overall more complete WR Package this year cause of the injury but he flashed and offers us sth, our offense doesn't have. Big Play Ability and speeeed

Yeah would be a huge mistake. Would rather we watch from afar whether he pans out. We don't have a QB so taking a WR high makes zero sense. This guy would be the next Chad Jackson with the OC who took Chad Jackson last time.

Yeah would be a huge mistake. Would rather we watch from afar whether he pans out. We don't have a QB so taking a WR high makes zero sense. This guy would be the next Chad Jackson with the OC who took Chad Jackson last time.

Sorry if this wasn't clear. I meant that it would not be a huge mistake to take Waddle at 15..He can change our offense if we get a qb who can throw a ball

Sorry if this wasn't clear. I meant that it would not be a huge mistake to take Waddle at 15..He can change our offense if we get a qb who can throw a ball

Yeah sorry if I also wasn't clear that I also don't think Ruggs was worth a first rounder. We have so many holes, a speedster type who never actually produced in college does not incite a lot of confidence. Waddle is a lot more Chad Jackson than a receiver Bo Jackson.

Yeah sorry if I also wasn't clear that I also don't think Ruggs was worth a first rounder. We have so many holes, a speedster type who never actually produced in college does not incite a lot of confidence. Waddle is a lot more Chad Jackson than a receiver Bo Jackson.
We probably won't Come to the same opinion on Waddle, that's an interesting Part of the whole draft evaluation.
Due to Lack of Experience i don't know either of those guys you mentioned in the last sentence sorry

Im going to have to disagree with you. Last year he was a sophomore on an offense that had jerry jeudy, Henry ruggs, and devonta smith. But if you watched the games, the commentators and the coaches all seemed to agree that he had the potential to be the best of them all. And as for this year he was on pace for a monster season before the injury. It also seems that the scouts agree that he should be WR2 on most of the boards because of what he brings athletically. If the qb prospects are off the board by 15 and he’s still available I think it’s worth the shot to take him. Or we can just try and draft any receiver that Steelers have contact with because they never miss lol.

Im going to have to disagree with you. Last year he was a sophomore on an offense that had jerry jeudy, Henry ruggs, and devonta smith. But if you watched the games, the commentators and the coaches all seemed to agree that he had the potential to be the best of them all. And as for this year he was on pace for a monster season before the injury. It also seems that the scouts agree that he should be WR2 on most of the boards because of what he brings athletically. If the qb prospects are off the board by 15 and he’s still available I think it’s worth the shot to take him. Or we can just try and draft any receiver that Steelers have contact with because they never miss lol.

Fair enough. So would you take him with the 15th pick, a guy who was never WR1 on his own team and never had more than 550 yards the last couple years?

Fair enough. So would you take him with the 15th pick, a guy who was never WR1 on his own team and never had more than 550 yards the last couple years?

For me I would definitely consider it and it’s completely possible I’m in the minority. I think we’re out of reach for the top end qbs of the class and I don’t think parsons will make it either. If we stay put I think where we are picking aligns itself to where his value for us would be and it may be completely possible he overtakes D. Smith as wr2 if there is some type of combine.

For me I would definitely consider it and it’s completely possible I’m in the minority. I think we’re out of reach for the top end qbs of the class and I don’t think parsons will make it either. If we stay put I think where we are picking aligns itself to where his value for us would be and it may be completely possible he overtakes D. Smith as wr2 if there is some type of combine.

Overtakes the Heisman winner in the draft ?

I’m Zach Wilson1
Trey Lance 2
Justin Fields 3
Mac Jones 4
Any other Rookie sleepers I’m missing

I’m Zach Wilson1
Trey Lance 2
Justin Fields 3
Mac Jones 4
Any other Rookie sleepers I’m missing
The first three with likely be gone.

Overtakes the Heisman winner in the draft ?
I don’t see why not. Waddle was the clear #1 wideout on that team before the ankle injury. Even with Smith in the line-up. If he’s available at #15, I’d be happy with him then look to the second round for a QB, like Trask, to develop. If Alex Smith leaves Washington, grab him and let the rook sit and learn behind him for the year.

I don’t see why not. Waddle was the clear #1 wideout on that team before the ankle injury. Even with Smith in the line-up. If he’s available at #15, I’d be happy with him then look to the second round for a QB, like Trask, to develop. If Alex Smith leaves Washington, grab him and let the rook sit and learn behind him for the year.

OK well you're entitled to your opinion. I just don't get the Waddle hype. He's super fast. Sure. But in 3 years every year he can't beat out the other Alabama WRs to become #1. Not worth a first rounder in my opinion. Maybe an Oakland Raiders Al Davis old school type of pick. Not a high production WR in my opinion.

OK well you're entitled to your opinion. I just don't get the Waddle hype. He's super fast. Sure. But in 3 years every year he can't beat out the other Alabama WRs to become #1. Not worth a first rounder in my opinion. Maybe an Oakland Raiders Al Davis old school type of pick. Not a high production WR in my opinion.
He didn’t have high production because he was sitting behind future pros then got his ankle mangled against Tennessee as he was starting to break out. Look at those numbers he was putting up before injury. Aside from Ole Miss, these were not bad defenses.

1611357178445.png

He didn’t have high production because he was sitting behind future pros then got his ankle mangled against Tennessee as he was starting to break out. Look at those numbers he was putting up before injury. Aside from Ole Miss, these were not bad defenses.

View attachment 29885

Ok ankle yes I know. So look at the prior year. Alabama put up 50 points every week but this kid was only getting 1 to 3 catches a week. The actual production isn't there. He's super fast but not a guy who is a move the chains, get 12 catches in a game guy. His game is taking a short slant and outrunning college DBs or catching a deep post. He doesn't fit this offense. And those game breaking plays likely won't happen against NFL DBs. He's going to be a bad pick where the Pats always over-value special teams and he'll be a 300 yard receiver on the Patriots.

Ok ankle yes I know. So look at the prior year. Alabama put up 50 points every week but this kid was only getting 1 to 3 catches a week. The actual production isn't there. He's super fast but not a guy who is a move the chains, get 12 catches in a game guy. His game is taking a short slant and outrunning college DBs or catching a deep post. He doesn't fit this offense. And those game breaking plays likely won't happen against NFL DBs. He's going to be a bad pick where the Pats always over-value special teams and he'll be a 300 yard receiver on the Patriots.
Look at the snaps he was getting each game in 2019 and that will shed some more light on the subject. We also don’t need a “move the chains,” 12 catch per game guy. We have that in Meyers and Edelman, if he comes back. We need someone who can take the top off the defense, move the safety out of the box, and get defenses to stop playing us as if we are constantly in the red zone. Both Waddle and Smith fit the bill. But this isn’t going to matter anyway, IMO. If his ankle is healthy, I expect Waddle to kill it at the Combine and go before 15. We’d likely have to trade up, and Bill has been allergic to that of late. We’re basically in draft purgatory. Not too low of a pick, but definitely not high.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back