PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones appreciation thread

Who came up with this ceiling crap anyway, cause he can't run as well as a couple of the other guys or Mahomes? The best QB of all time isn't fleet a foot either so it's kind of dumb.

That would be me. I made the “ ceiling” claim first when I said that Peyton Mannings ceiling was that of a den in a 17th century mud hut, whereas Tom Brady’s was more like Red Rock amphitheater. Every since then the talking heads have been parrotting my takes. Motherf*ckers!

The league is obsessed with mobile QBs. We've gotten to a point if you are just a pocket passer you have a "lower ceiling" and has pushed teams like San Fran or Chicago to draft prospects like fields or Lance who look years away. Rather than someone like Jones who has all the characteristics of a good QB. BUT he can't run around and throw halfway across his body

The huge irony in all this is that your completion % drops big time when you start scrambling.

There are people who've been pushing for "mobile" quarterbacks for a long time, for any number of reasons. That's fine, I guess. But the almost instantaneous shift from "Hey, some mobile QBs can play in the NFL" to "If you're a pocket passer, you're really limited and not worth taking high" was so bizarrely quick that it's almost as if it's a conspiracy.
I completely agree that it is remarkable how fast the conventional wisdom has changed. Despite the fact that most of the greatest QBs ever were pocket passers (including the GOAT of course), it now seems like being a pocket passer is a giant negative.

IMHO it is because so many GMs and coaches are obsessed with uninformed media quick-takes that their owner listens to as opposed to actual informed research such as that provided by Ernie Adams (if anyone believes that BB really ignored analytics, please PM me about some Arctic investment opportunities).

I know you didn't say (or even imply) that it was really a conspiracy, but my view of conspiracies in general (which so many others seem obsessed with) is perfectly defined by Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity". And, there is more than enough stupidity to go around in the NFL. ;)

Mac Jones is mobile. It's his average arm strength combined with his above average mobility that made him slip to third for the pro scouts. Hence him being the 49ers pick.

ESPN also pushed hard for athletic but raw prospects to be pushed over him. As if actual lack of skill in the craft of being a QB could easily be overcome.

By this token we could just start Jacoby Meyers who is about a mobile as any of the QBs coming out.. ESPN is in the business of generating clicks and teams like the 49ers should have thought twice before buying into that stuff. The fact that they got the 49ers to bite on that **** is disgraceful and embarrassing for Mike S and the 49ers. They will never live that down.

He showed some wheels Sunday, unleashed a new weapon ;)

Not sure how much stock I put in ceiling talk, what would people have said Brady’s ceiling is? If you are willing to work and sacrifice there is no ceiling!

Not sure how much stock I put in ceiling talk, what would people have said Brady’s ceiling is? If you are willing to work and sacrifice there is no ceiling!
It took 7 years for him to turn into TFB.

While I understand those who wring their hands over "The Upside," I have been surprised at how good he has been from the start and how steadily he's improving. Rookie or no, he's already one of the team's best players. That's rare in a rookie qb.
I can't wait until he feels comfortable enough to really sling it deep. I think he's going to be one of the best deep ball passers in the league.

He can run when he has to, but isn't going to be a QB who runs once he realizes his 1st read is covered.

That is an issue with some of these "mobile/running" QBs, Jalen Hurts being one of them. Mac will scan the field trying to find an open receiver before he tucks and runs.

Ceiling, blah blah blah

03-04 & 06 Bradys were excellent. I'm not sure what people were watching but he had a great connection with his receivers.

I'd challenge any other QB to trot out there with Reche Caldwell & Jabar Gaffney and come within a hair of winning a Super Bowl.

No to mention his heroics in 03 against Carolina. & the way he ripped up the Steelers.

I am not stating that Mac will be the GOAT, but he has two advantages over Brady. One, he is much faster and can pick up yardage with his feet if he needs too. Second, he seems to throw a more accurate long ball. The jury is still out on this, but aside from the Randy Moss years, the deep pass was not a strength of Brady's. On the other hand, Brady's height was a positive compared to Mac, though Mac is not too short for the position.

I suppose comparing Mac to Tom is pretty much just a distraction. To adapt the Alpha Patriotism,"Mac is what he is." He isn't is Tom Brady. (No one is, and I don't think it's that close.) The good news, views of bloated ex-TE's notwithstanding, is that he isn't Chad Pennington either.

(All that sober stuff having been said, it really is a little spooky at times how Bradyesque the little oddball looks out there, eh?)

It's starting to turn:

Second, he seems to throw a more accurate long ball. The jury is still out on this, but aside from the Randy Moss years, the deep pass was not a strength of Brady's.
This is not true.
Tom Brady led the NFL in deep ball passing several times. Might be 4 or 5.
More than anyone else since 2001 I believe.
Bradys one of the most accurate deep ball passers in nfl history. Thats a fact.

So for all of you who preferred Justin Fields pre-draft, what would have happened if the Bears had picked Mac and the Pats had picked Fields? How would the two QB's be doing right now?

Same question for those who preferred Trey Lance.

I'll leave Trevor out of this because he's clearly going to be good to great.

I'll leave Zac out because he's a clown.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back