PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones 2021 Season Tracker: 3801 Yards, 22TD, 13INT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those were good throws but I am talking about the short throws to the outside. The ones that require some velocity on the ball like the pick on third and 2. That was incredibly tight window he tried to fit it in and he hesitated and then threw a changeup when he needed a fastball.

Here is Jones’ Next Gen passing chart through I think early December. Tell me where is the evidence that Jones had problems passing outside in short distances. He isn't good throwing behind the LOS to his right, but that has nothing to do with tight coverage. All you have offered is his first pass on Sunday which was just a bad throw which looks like he and his receiver were not on the same page.

Here is is passing chart from Sunday which also doesn't show he has a lot of issue with short passes outside:

Jones' problems passing have more to do with the center of the field. Not the sidelines.

EDIT: I did find Buffalo's Next Gen chart. This appears too be the only game where Jones struggled with passes to the outside. But that could be due in part to Agholor out with injuries and Bourne being used very sparingly due to being out due to COVID that week.

And here is Indy's. He was decent passing outside other than the pick (which was less about velocity, but placement of the ball where he should have throwing it farther in front of the receiver), but Agholor went down and so did Harry. And there were a couple of dropped passes that were on the money.

And here is the INT. Looks to have good velocity. It should have thrown it in front of Bolden, but threw it to his inside shoulder giving the defender a play on the ball.

Last edited:
Here is Jones’ Next Gen passing chart through I think early December. Tell me where is the evidence that Jones had problems passing outside in short distances. He isn't good throwing behind the LOS to his right, but that has nothing to do with tight coverage. All you have offered is his first pass on Sunday which was just a bad throw which looks like he and his receiver were not on the same page.

Here is is passing chart from Sunday which also doesn't show he has a lot of issue with short passes outside:

Jones' problems passing have more to do with the center of the field. Not the sidelines.

EDIT: I did find Buffalo's Next Gen chart. This appears too be the only game where Jones struggled with passes to the outside. But that could be due in part to Agholor out with injuries and Bourne being used very sparingly due to being out due to COVID that week.

And here is Indy's. He was decent passing outside other than the pick (which was less about velocity, but placement of the ball where he should have throwing it farther in front of the receiver), but Agholor went down and so did Harry. And there were a couple of dropped passes that were on the money.

He threw a terrible interception early in the third quarter against the Colts. I think it was third and short and Bolden was in the flat and Mac noodle armed it and the corner jumped it. Even some of the throws over the middle he is lobbing some lollipops in there and not zipping it in there underneath the safeties. I don't think this is a major thing right now it is just becoming noticeable. I think he is just wearing down as the season goes on like a lot of rookies do. If this is happening next December I will be much more worried.

He threw a terrible interception early in the third quarter against the Colts. I think it was third and short and Bolden was in the flat and Mac noodle armed it and the corner jumped it. Even some of the throws over the middle he is lobbing some lollipops in there and not zipping it in there underneath the safeties. I don't think this is a major thing right now it is just becoming noticeable. I think he is just wearing down as the season goes on like a lot of rookies do. If this is happening next December I will be much more worried.

If you agree Drew Brees had enough arm to make all the throws, then I think Mac does too. A beautiful rainbow ball with good timing gets the job done sometimes more than a guy who only throws bullets and passes for far lower completion%.

Having said this, Mac has regressed for 6 weeks ever since the Bye Week and needs a new OC.

I posted the video of it. The velocity isn't the issue. It was where he threw the ball to. He threw it to his inside shoulder rather than his outside shoulder. He threw it to a spot where the defender had as good a shot to get the ball as Bolden.

And yes he regressed the last mont, but he a rookie. They don't call it a rookie wall for nothing.

What percentage of great NFL QBs have strong arms? The top 3 all have very strong arms, IMHO. There is a difference between claiming that weaknesses can be overcome vs. claiming that something is overrated.

For example Larry Bird couldn't run that fast or jump that high. He was able to overcome that weakness. That doesn't mean moving forward I would want the Celtics to draft the slowest least athletic guys just because we learned from Larry Bird that speed and athleticism were 'overrated'.

Some QBs can overcome their lack of arm strength - some can develop it. Time will tell if he if Mac Jones is one of those guys. But teams have adjusted and none of them fear him right now.

Great post.

Things that idiots keep mentioning and have less to do with on-field success:
- QB arm strength or leg speed.
- WR specific height or weight, or blocking skills.
- CB specific height or weight, or special teams play.

I call these out as areas, first one where the league keeps getting it wrong, and the last 2 positions for the Pats where they keep getting it wrong.

Great post.

Things that idiots keep mentioning and have less to do with on-field success:
- QB arm strength or leg speed.
- WR specific height or weight, or blocking skills.
- CB specific height or weight, or special teams play.

I call these out as areas, first one where the league keeps getting it wrong, and the last 2 positions for the Pats where they keep getting it wrong.

We are also assuming his arm strength won't improve with a full off-season. I am sure they have areas they want to work on with him physically.

We are also assuming his arm strength won't improve with a full off-season. I am sure they have areas they want to work on with him physically.

Kid will be fine, someone needs to call up Tom House.

Having said this, Mac has regressed for 6 weeks ever since the Bye Week and needs a new OC.

Simply not true. He had 1 bad game against the #1 defense in the NFL and otherwise has been the same, actually a little better than he was all season.

Simply not true. He had 1 bad game against the #1 defense in the NFL and otherwise has been the same, actually a little better than he was all season.

Mac has played poorly since the Bye.
You denying reality does not make it so.

Mac has played poorly since the Bye.
You denying reality does not make it so.
It’s not true. Here are his numbers since the buyer outside of one bad game and the game he threw 3 times.
90/137 65.6% 1097 274.3 yds per game 8 td 3 Int
Team ppg 32.5

Average game 22.5/34.5 274.3 2/0.75

projected to 17 game season
382/586 4662 34/13

Far superior to his full season stats

See what I did there? I refuted your claim with the actual facts.
Jones hasn’t regressed at all, he had 1 bad game against the best defense in the NFL. I expect him to avenge that Saturday.

Last edited:
It’s not true. Here are his numbers since the buyer outside of one bad game and the game he threw 3 times.
90/137 65.6% 1097 274.3 yds per game 8 td 3 Int
Team ppg 32.5

Far superior to his full season stats

See what I did there? I refuted your claim with the actual facts.
Jones hasn’t regressed at all, he had 1 bad game against the best defense in the NFL. I expect him to avenge that Saturday.

So you selectively removed games ?

Stunning work there.

So you selectively removed games ?

Stunning work there.
No I posted what I said, he improved overall but had 1 bad game.
You said he digressed. He clearly did not.

Mac is tough as nails. Love this guy. And this is from a tb12 fan.

Mac was battered from the crappy OC Oline the first 6 weeks, a shoulder AC the last month, routinely does the right thing. Fearless in the pocket. Does all the right things off the field. Pats could not have made a better home run pick this past draft. Just have to fix everything else. Starting with a new OC. One who's not a parasite off the goat-QB and can add additional value particularly with a roster set up for a 2TE offense. Get Mac a new better (anyone) OC.

Last edited:
Cowherd thinks the Patriots will put Mac on the trade block :D :D :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes