PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac and the "It Factor"

I'm not gonna get on Belichick's case for drafting Mac. The draft is a crapshoot and GMs are taking chances on college players. However, at a certain point once you've seen enough evidence, you gotta pull the plug. Mac probably plays great in practice, better than any of our other QBs but in live games he has been a liability playing in a position that determines the success of the offense.

Why do our offense suck? Mac was here last year and it sucked, we changed OCs. It's still the same. The stretch our offense looked decent was the two games Zappe started. I'm not advocating Zappe be the starter but it illustrates that you remove Mac from the equation, the offense, even with fat Mat as OC, looked like an NFL offense. Mac is the common denominator the past two years.

I feel like the only way we're gonna get a QB change is because of an injury.
If the Pats find a viable alternative to Mac’s production then he’ll send Mac packing. The Zappe ship has sailed and sunk and we have a project and a guy who hasn’t shown anything on the PS.

I think they’re looking.

This is a good watch, shows just how bad Mac was, and how bad he falls apart when facing pressure, not exactly what we need as a leader of the team imo.

When you have no O-line, you tend to fall apart, yes.

If the Pats find a viable alternative to Mac’s production then he’ll send Mac packing. The Zappe ship has sailed and sunk and we have a project and a guy who hasn’t shown anything on the PS.

I think they’re looking.

Brady was in the roster yet Belichick chose Bledsoe as his starter entering 2001.

Edelman was in the roster yet he chose to sign Amendola to a big contract.

Belichick is GOAT level HC, but as a GM, he has made some questionable decisions especially when it comes to players in offense.

It is possible that he's making a mistake starting Mac when there is a better option in the roster right now.

Brady was in the roster yet Belichick chose Bledsoe as his starter entering 2001.

Edelman was in the roster yet he chose to sign Amendola to a big contract.

Belichick is GOAT level HC, but as a GM, he has made some questionable decisions especially when it comes to players in offense.
I didn’t have an issue with the amendola signing I’ll defend that to my death. Yeah overpaid in the beginning and got hurt in his debut but he always delivered.

13 was a strange year for pats WRs. But they were an awesome team 14 15 16 17 3 superbowls (won 2) and 2015 where they just ran into some bad injury luck.

I didn’t have an issue with the amendola signing I’ll defend that to my death. Yeah overpaid in the beginning and got hurt in his debut but he always delivered

13 was a strange year for pats WRs. But they were an awesome team 14 15 16 17 3 superbowls and 2015 where they just ran into some bad injury luck

Danny did deliver so no complaints.

But it's a fact that Edelman is/was a better slot receiver.

Theoretically Belichick, if he had known Jules was a better option, would have used that resource to sign Amendola on another position.

Who knows how it would have panned out, but Belichick was willing to lose Edelman in favor of Amendola. I can speak for myself but I feel like all Pat's fans would say that would have been a massive blunder.

Danny did deliver so no complaints.

But it's a fact that Edelman is/was a better slot receiver.

Theoretically Belichick, if he had known Jules was a better option, would have used that resource to sign Amendola on another position.

Who knows how it would have panned out, but Belichick was willing to lose Edelman in favor of Amendola.
He did let JE test waters and he is lucky JE came back But you need multiple WRs.

There are plenty of things BB has done to complain about …I can’t see holding the DA move against him.

DA was a slot receiver. JE only played half his snaps there and Danny had better hands than JE

DA also took punt returns away from JE and he was awesome at it. Less wear and tear on JE

This is a good watch, shows just how bad Mac was, and how bad he falls apart when facing pressure, throwing off his back foot etc....not exactly what we need as a leader of the team imo.

Thanks for posting. Worse than I remember (hard to believe that is possible). Mac lost his mind. Running through reads too quickly, tucking and running with no reason, and Parker open across the middle and on slants all game long. Talk about seeing ghosts. No idea if any QB can recover from this. Poor Mac is scared ****less. I do not think a QB recovers from such fright to play effectively in the league.

Separation is not the issue. Next guy that posts WR separation is the issue did not watch this video. Parker and Gesicki open repeatedly. Easy throws and Mac can't plant his foot and stay with the play.

When you have no O-line, you tend to fall apart, yes.
I had said in the offseason that my big concern about Mac was composure under pressure. Last years he was 5th in the league in EPA/play when not pressured, but close to worst when pressured.

I had thought he looked better under pressure in the first 3 games, but he came completely apart in the Dallas game.

Under pressure he is prone to panic and his whole game goes to sh*t.

So all he will see is pressure.

JT had said he played pretty well vs the Jets in his prior week's video, but even there he said Mac had surprisingly sloppy footwork, and another observer said Mac's sloppy footwork was limiting his velocity far too often.

I'm afraid he lacks a gunslinger's steely resolve and can't control his emotions well enough to maintain precision.

Mac has far more natural pocket QB talent than a Brock Purdy and could be as good as a Joe Burrow. He should be a quality NFL starter.

But sadly, I'm afraid he is far too prone to self destruction to be relied upon.

I don't think this is coachable so I don't think he's going to make it. I expect him to actually get worse as he realizes he's losing everything and he will press and panic all the more.

Really, really sad.

I hope I'm wrong but it looks bleak right now.

He dropped the first two passes thrown him during the Jete game, so that doesn't help his case.

We still haven't replaced SweetFeet either. I thought Strong was supposed to be the one; but giving-up on him after just two training camps... Weird.

This is a big thing fans have ignored too. Not only has Bill gotten mediocre WRs

He never addressed 3rd down running back. Stevenson/Elliott are not those guys. They have hands of stone.

Bill has really been negligent on the offensive side of the ball. And this is what happens when you don't invest resources and whiff on the few that you do.

Thanks for posting. Worse than I remember (hard to believe that is possible). Mac lost his mind. Running through reads too quickly, tucking and running with no reason, and Parker open across the middle and on slants all game long. Talk about seeing ghosts. No idea if any QB can recover from this. Poor Mac is scared ****less. I do not think a QB recovers from such fright to play effectively in the league.

Separation is not the issue. Next guy that posts WR separation is the issue did not watch this video. Parker and Gesicki open repeatedly. Easy throws and Mac can't plant his foot and stay with the play.

I think when you listen to BOB yesterday when he talked about fundamentals that's what he's talking about.

Bedard kinda alluded to the same thing. When you are constantly under duress and getting hit you kind of speed things up in your head and Mac tends to start to lose his fundamentals. It's an issue I've noticed with him. Rather than stay within his game his footwork starts to get sloppy starts to try and make play. Forgets to drive the ball.

Problem is Bill built a team that is meant to be run first, control the clock with Mac being more of a game manager. Instead we can't run the ball and teams know it so they are keying in on the QB. 14% play action this year vs 27% Macs rookie year

Rhamondre is averaging 2.7 ypc. I think if somehow the OL solidified somewhat and we could at least have the option of PA it opens things up Abit.

Imho, it used to be way worse... and I'm not even talking about relatively recent events like Bountygate which is almost 15 years ago, or the JACKED UP espn montages from 20 years ago.

It's way more obvious now because it's all in on-demand HD or greater. Back in the day, that 19" with rabbit ears wasn't crystal clear (I know people still use rabbit ears for HD nowadays but you get my point).
How about going way back when runners weren't considered down until a defender kept them down?

I’m 39 years old so I’m not trying to give the I used to walk up hill to school in the snow speech.
It is tempting though, isn't it? Generally things have "improved" which gives the appearance (and perhaps reality) of softness. It is unfair to judge today's players by yesterday's standards, but it is kinda fun sometimes.

I think when you listen to BOB yesterday when he talked about fundamentals that's what he's talking about.

Bedard kinda alluded to the same thing. When you are constantly under duress and getting hit you kind of speed things up in your head and Mac tends to start to lose his fundamentals. It's an issue I've noticed with him. Rather than stay within his game his footwork starts to get sloppy starts to try and make play. Forgets to drive the ball.

Problem is Bill built a team that is meant to be run first, control the clock with Mac being more of a game manager. Instead we can't run the ball and teams know it so they are keying in on the QB. 14% play action this year vs 27% Macs rookie year

Rhamondre is averaging 2.7 ypc. I think if somehow the OL solidified somewhat and we could at least have the option of PA it opens things up Abit.

Thanks. Two comments. You might realize this already.

1. When there are 8 or 9 guys in the box, you are not going to run the ball effectively. You can have the best offensive line in the world and if there are more defenders, what can the OL do? If we can't pass the ball, defenses will keep loading the box. Miami started it and it will not stop until Mac has a semi-decent passing game. Notice we started with play action. That was to get Mac in a groove and to try to get Dallas to go to defensive sub packages.

2. Mac's footwork is bad, falling apart, I agree. But his reads are collapsing which is more important because it shows his mind is lost. Look at the QB School video. At the beginning of the video, on the 1st drive when Mac is passing inside the 10 yard line and passing for a TD. The 1st read is covered, the 2nd read was Parker on a shallow cross. Parker was wide open for a TD and he was right in front of Mac. Mac hurried his reads and jumped from the 1st read to the 3rd read (Gesicki). That tells you Mac's mind is panicking, his mind is racing, he is seeing ghosts, whatever you want to call it. BOB is not going to say Mac is panicking. BOB says the fundamentals are breaking down.

Like @Kasmir noted, Mac's mind is scared. I do not know if a QB recovers from this.

This is a good watch, shows just how bad Mac was, and how bad he falls apart when facing pressure, throwing off his back foot etc....not exactly what we need as a leader of the team imo.

@Rob0729
take a close look at the wr routes here please

It wasn't all Patricia#s fault as a lot of guys blamed him for WR running into each other. The same **** play designs are in the current Offense as well. Two WR running into each other in the MOF and the RB runs in this area as well. Easy to defend, no one open, these schemes are not good enough for the NFL level

1696511003004.png

Trent Brown already got beaten, the other edge rusher is around the T soon as well, no one open, #1 and Douglas are running into each other on this play, without Jones extending this play with his feet he wouldn't be able to hit Douglas for that huge gain.

1696511140022.png

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back