PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lucky Win isn't masking MangIdiot coaching deficiencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I have to think there's a lot of talk - or at least a lot of thought - in Jetsland about whether MangIdiot has what it takes to lead the Jets - this is one of many articles making the rounds, with other articles asking whether Favre was worth the money (same record as Pennington, but worse QB rating)

I have to think that missing the playoffs in what may be the only year of opportunity the Jets have, playing in a division devoid of Tom Brady, will ensure that he loses his job.

Making the playoffs may buy him another year in which he'd need to work a miracle and build on that amid a Division that will be even stronger.

Jets' AFC East rivals have coaching edge -- Courant.com

Courant.com
Jets' AFC East rivals have coaching edge

Anthony Rieber

9:25 AM EST, December 15, 2008

Two weeks to go. The Jets vs. the Patriots vs. the Dolphins.

One of those teams will win the AFC East. The other two might not even make the playoffs.

What do the Jets have going for them? Well, they hold the tiebreaker, so if they win their last two games, they win the division. Simple as that.

What do the Jets have going against them? No, this isn't about that tired Same Old Jets routine. These are new Jets, and a collapse in 1985 is not relevant today.

What is relevant, though, is the huge advantage the Patriots and Dolphins have over the Jets in one crucial area:

Coaching.

Forget Jets vs. Patriots vs. Dolphins. The championship of the AFC East might just come down to Mangini vs. Belichick vs. Parcells. And who do you like in that dogfight?

(Yes, we know, Tony Sparano is the Dolphins coach, not Bill Parcells. As the kids say, 'Whatev.' We all know the Tuna is running the show in Miami, much to the delight of Fish fans everywhere.)

The Jets are led by Mangini, who has had three seasons to prove whether he is a good coach or an overmatched automaton. Which one do you vote for? If you're a Jets fan, trying making anyone believe you weren't ready to dial up WFAN or start typing obscenities about Mangini into a Jets chat room when it looked like they were going to lose to the woeful Bills on Sunday.

And Mangini has absolutely nothing to do with that "Miracle in the Meadowlands" 31-27 win. Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny and **** Jauron gave the Jets that win when the Bills coach called for a pass play when all he had to do was run out the clock. As my colleague Wallace Matthews pointed out in his column today, "The Jets did not find a way to win; the Bills manufactured a way to lose."

Left to his own devices, Mangini would today be explaining why the Jets lost to a reeling team at home with a division crown in their sights instead of taking bows for a win he had little to do with.

Mangini's post-game press conference on Sunday was a study of self-delusion. He seemed satisfied. I doubt Belichick or Parcells/Sparano would have been. The Jets played a lot of bad football on Sunday and won thanks to bad coaching on the other side. They were lucky. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

More of the time it's better to be good.

Belichick is good. Real good. You think the Jets (or Giants, for that matter) could have survived the loss of their franchise quarterback and still gone 9-5? Belichick might be an everyday candidate to be Keith Olbermann's "Worst Person in the World," but he knows how to demand excellence. Ditto Parcells, who won't win Miss Congeniality but has turned the Dolphins from a laughingstock 1-15 to a potential 11-win team in one season with spaghetti-armed Chad Pennington at quarterback and the untested Sparano in the coach's office.

Mangini? He's been handed Brett Favre and millions and millions in free-agent talent and one of the softest schedules in the league and he still needed an excruciatingly dumb call from Jauron to save his carcass.

If Jets players were allowed to speak freely in Mangini's paranoid world, they would tell you the coach hasn't completely earned their trust, either. Again, if you're a Jets fan, you know he hasn't earned yours.

Wait until Favre leaves the Jets, perhaps after this season, and you'll find out how he really feels about the coach. Betcha it won't be flattering, especially if the Jets don't win out in the last two weeks and clinch the division.

Prediction: They won't. In a dogfight, take the toughest dogs. That's Belichick and Parcells, not Mangini.

Copyright © 2008, Newsday Inc.

the best part is the jets are gonna lose favre in the next couple years. gholston looks like a bust or marginal player. coles can't stand favre.

That article really put Mangini (and the Jet's overall for that matter) in his place. :)

Does Mangini even coach? Everytime they showed him yesterday on the sideline, he just stood there with his arms folded and never said anything to his players.

I agree with the article. It's said when everything is an even tie the team that is most desperate will win. Pennington wants that game more then anyone.

If you watched the Bills-Jets yesterday, you know there were 60,000 fans ready to string Mangini up from the nearest lampost. What I would really love to see would be the stories that the Daily News and NY Post reporters had started to write when a defeat was all but inevitable; i.e., before Jauron and Loss-man handed New York the game.

I also think that Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum is on very thin ice. Essentially, he tried to save his job and Mangenius' by spending like a drunken sailor in the off season and then bringing in Favre. That strategy, however, demanded not just making the Playoffs but going deep into January. The Jests might still squirm their way into the Playoffs, but I don't think they're beating the Ravens or Pats in a Wildcard game. "One and out" is not what Jets' ownership or their fans thought this season was going to produce. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of guys.

Last edited:
There is an opening at Iowa State for Eric Mangenious.

There is an opening at Iowa State for Eric Mangenious.

I think he's already worked a deal to be the next Senator from Illinois.

Part of me actually hopes that he holds onto his job - as with Jauron, I don't mind seeing division rivals hold onto weak head coaches.

I agree with the article. It's said when everything is an even tie the team that is most desperate will win. Pennington wants that game more then anyone.

===============================================

When was the last time Chad won a big game?

I gotta say, I was high as a kite watching the Bills yesterday. Then they tried to roll out right and the rest is history. What a bunch of maroons.

That article is bang on.

I actually like Chad.

He has really been tagged with a bad rap because the Jets refused to throw downfield.

Anyone notice in the highlights how many long passes he seems to be completing?

Herm and Mangenius- Tough to be a gunslinger!!!!!!!.

===============================================

When was the last time Chad won a big game?

None.

Any team from the AFC East will be one and done. At least the Pats have an injury excuse.

I gotta say, I was high as a kite watching the Bills yesterday. Then they tried to roll out right and the rest is history. What a bunch of maroons.

That article is bang on.

I can't help but wonder if Bills fans now have a warm place in their heart for Vince Wllfork.

They might even be wishing that Vince could go up against Losman every week!

You really gotta look at it though. They're not being unfair at all. Hes been BB's *****, and this was his season to shine when Brady went down. Instead, hes barely hanging onto the AFC East. With lord Fave, Faneca, Pace, etc. you'd think they'd be wrapping it up now. Absolutely pathetic if your a fan of the Jets. You have to be feeling some desperation by now.

I'm certain that a court could get it thrown out on the easily demonstratable basis that Old Man Wilson is certifiably senile, non compos mentos.

Hehe. Thing is, if everything stays as is, it'll easily be the Pats/Dolphins gunning for the finish line next year. Here's to another year in the AFCE for Mango and Jergens.

"When was the last time Chad won a big game?"

Or for that matter, considering he's spent his entire career with the Jets prior to this year, when was the last time Chad was IN a big game?

Pin your hopes on that as your team had zero business winning that game yesterday, just delayed your demise one more week, Seattle awaits.

The best part about all of this is after you assclowns beat the Titans (the third best team in the AFC by the way), you morons all thought you had punched your ticket to Detroit.

Boy were you wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back