PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lots of believers on this team...

3 things:
3. Moderator... please boot this thread to the religious forum. I tried to keep it football-centered, and failed. Mea culpa.

Translation:

I'm getting my ***** kicked in this debate, which is embarrassing, so please put this thread where fewer people will see it.

I don't care all too much for religion but it does seem to help a lot of people keep focused on doing the right thing and succeeding in life. If this also applies to NFL players, more power to them. I'm not so sure I'd say that there are a lot more believers on this team than any other; I always thought most NFL players were super religious.

And for the same reason, my brothers and I have never told my mother that we are atheists. She likes religion, it helps her--if it were something harming her, you'd think her own sons would step in. I respect religious people--though I am on the alert for the way proselytizing and division are increasingly a way of life for Christians. It's just a very different USA than I remember. Growing up in Catholic schools in the 1970s and 1980s, the nuns and brothers I knew were like the current Pope. Easygoing and welcoming. In my Catholic school, we even had a teacher showing us contraception in Biology class. Not very Catholic. Best of all, the Latin teacher was a weightlifting motorcycle riding badass who taught us how to translate heavy metal lyrics into Latin.

Niger Sabbatus!!!!!!

There is little correlation between belief in god and "walking that walk." In fact, nonbelievers are less violent, more tolerant, more intelligent, and more progressive than their counterparts of faith.

Atheists are the most hated and mistrusted group in the United States, beating out muslims, homosexuals, illegal immigrants (none of whom I have anything against), and even rapists (of whom I highly disapprove).

The notion that you, by virtue of your Christianity, have some special path to salvation is offensive to nonbelievers. It would be much better for everyone if Christians were to keep all their specialness to themselves. It is likely that you have neither the intellect nor the intellectual courage to escape from your beliefs, but please keep them to yourself and try to understand why some people would prefer that athletes do the same.

I disagree with you in just one respect: Christians should not be forced to keep their beliefs to themselves. Well, maybe on this forum, but certainly not in this country, generally. And certainly we would not be better off if that were the case, for if they didn't make their beliefs known, we wouldn't know how stupid and dangerous they are.

Translation:

I'm getting my ***** kicked in this debate, which is embarrassing, so please put this thread where fewer people will see it.

That may be your opinion. However, in my opinion Oldrover has won the debate and has held up quite nicely.

3 things:

1. That website is not a serious source of information. The tone alone sounds like some snarky entertainment weasel wrote it.

2. God cares about the sparrows and the lilies... and He cares enough about us to send His only Son to die for us. Football... who knows... but how we conduct ourselves on this earth... on or off a football field... yeah.

3. Moderator... please boot this thread to the religious forum. I tried to keep it football-centered, and failed. Mea culpa.

1. The site's writers do delve into the art of snark quite often but all of the information there can be verified. They do some guesswork but it's backed up by evidence.

2. Says you, that's your belief. If God were up there, I think he'd have a lot of explaining to do about some of the things happening on this planet he supposedly created.

Tom can believe in Zuul the Gatekeeper of Gozer for all I care...

I just want him to be the QB of my team, not some role model or spiritual guide.

Giselle is the gatekeeper, Tom is the keymaster.

Call Dr. Venkman!

Translation:

I asked for the thread to be moved because the topic wasn't staying on football, I enjoy posting on here, I got a warning from a mod, and I didn't wish to run afoul of the rules.

Good timing though... over the next few hours, I'll be thinking of the wisdom of all you atheists denying God as I prep for my colonoscopy. LMAO!!! :D (j/k... hey, neither side can prove our position... ironically, we BOTH have to take a leap of faith)

I'm glad to see football players proclaiming their Christian faith. I wonder why so many of them are Christians if Christians are supposedly..."losers" :rolleyes:

1. The site's writers do delve into the art of snark quite often but all of the information there can be verified. They do some guesswork but it's backed up by evidence.

2. Says you, that's your belief. If God were up there, I think he'd have a lot of explaining to do about some of the things happening on this planet he supposedly created.

1. The big argument about Brady not being Catholic was that he sinned, which is laughable. Everyone sins... believer and non-believer alike.

2. God gave us free will, dude. If he didn't, and just said, "believe in Me", we'd all be mind-numbed robots. But He lets us choose... to put Him first, or something else. A lot of people opted for plan B. Ask them about man-made problems on Earth. God didn't create those. Men did.

2. God gave us free will, dude. If he didn't, and just said, "believe in Me", we'd all be mind-numbed robots. But He lets us choose... to put Him first, or something else. A lot of people opted for plan B. Ask them about man-made problems on Earth. God didn't create those. Men did.

That is such a lame argument. You could literally say that to justify belief in anything, including the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Honestly, religion has no argument in its favor. The entire notion of faith pretty much guarantees that. The fact that you are so sure of your faith is more indicative of how effectively you have been indoctrinated than it is of the legitimacy of what you believe.

Why actually question the legitimacy of your faith? All the answers are right there for you. No need to think or question.. Religion just hands it all to you on a silver platter and tells you to enjoy your simple life without ever actually knowing the truth.

The worst part of it all is that we should honestly be beyond this by now. The fact that so many of us continue to be fooled by this nonsense, even to this day, is very disappointing to me.

He's not speaking for Brady... he's stating the obvious. Raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, married in the Catholic Church to another devout Catholic, went to meet the POPE for goodness sake, doesn't wear his faith on his sleeve, but certainly shows it through his actions with his wife and children and others in general (well, except when he's swearing at the rooks for another blown route assignment LOL).

That's all pretty self-evident, wouldn't you say?

"....but certainly shows it through his actions with his wife and children and others in general"

When you write "others in general" that group doesn't include Bridget Moynihan, right?

Not sure he acted in accordance with the teachings there.

1. The big argument about Brady not being Catholic was that he sinned, which is laughable. Everyone sins... believer and non-believer alike.

Is it really free will when the option we're given is to believe in god and put him first above everything or burn in eternal hellfire?

Furthermore, this is a planet and a species that god is supposed to have created. Here on earth, good people suffer every day. If he exists, god should have to answer for a lot of that.

Well since this thread has been moved to the religion forum might as well divert into religion more. Here's some players from the saints team and colts team talking about their faith in God. CBN TV - Faith in the Super Bowl

That is such a lame argument. You could literally say that to justify belief in anything, including the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Honestly, religion has no argument in its favor. The entire notion of faith pretty much guarantees that. The fact that you are so sure of your faith is more indicative of how effectively you have been indoctrinated than it is of the legitimacy of what you believe.

Why actually question the legitimacy of your faith? All the answers are right there for you. No need to think or question.. Religion just hands it all to you on a silver platter and tells you to enjoy your simple life without ever actually knowing the truth.

The worst part of it all is that we should honestly be beyond this by now. The fact that so many of us continue to be fooled by this nonsense, even to this day, is very disappointing to me.

Why don't you just enjoy believing in your flying spaghetti monsters, then, or your own super awesomeness, or nothing at all? You are a free moral agent. Have at it.

As for me, I will follow the Lord. As I am also free to do.

Last edited:
If you're talking about Tom Brady's family, then you're leaving a few things out the Oldrover......

LOL... yeah, I mentioned that later. But just because someone sins, doesn't mean he doesn't value his faith. I sin, and I value mine. None of us are perfect.

And look at how he's handled it, his actions... by all accounts, an engaged, active loving dad for the child he fathered by Bridget. St. Francis of Assisi said, "Preach the Gospel... when necessary, use words."

I love how the foolish label themselves as "seeing" when in fact they are so blind.

Your obvious ignorance of the people of faith is clearly demonstrated by suggesting that we don't question our faith. Just a cursory study of the people of Christianity would show even great saints who questioned their faith:

St. John of the Cross....... Dark night of the Soul

Mother Teresa

Saint Therese of Lisieux

Just to name a few, all of whom deepy questioned their faith.

But you know what...stick with the Progressive propaganda. I'm sure it makes you feel much better when you sleep at night.

Don't forget St. Augustine... classic:

"Dear Lord, make me chaste...

...but not just yet." LMAO!!! :D

Okay, take out the 'devout'. Just go on the facts for Brady.

Facts: Brady raised Catholic, attended Catholic school, seriously dated two women both of whom are Catholic, married the second in a Catholic Church, baptized their son in the Catholic Church.

And you're saying this is evidence the Catholic faith means nothing to him? Oooooo-kay.

fwiw, his first choice for his son recently (not sure if it was the kid with Moynahan or the first with Gisele) wasn't a Catholic school.

Unlike you and others, though, I don't pretend to know the extent of Brady's faith or what it means to him. (But as others have pointed out, the things you mentioned here -- while they obviously aren't evidence that his faith means nothing -- don't mean he is very religious, either.)

LOL... yeah, I guess if a guy eats a hamburger for lunch each day, it's no guarantee he likes hamburgers either. :D

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back