PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking Ahead: Week 1 @ Buffalo

OK, am I the only one who thinks that the common wisdom about Belichick vs. rookie QBs (and to a lesser extent rookie coaches) is totally backwards?

BB is a game-planning coach. He gives his team advantages by configuring his O & D for each opponent, analyzing their schemes and personnel and limiting their strengths. So the less film he has on an opponent, the less of a game-planning advantage he has. My memory is that rookie QBs tend to give the Pats fits. Playing week 1 against a brand-new QB with a brand-new coach is my nightmare matchup.

Yeah, I said the same thing earlier in this thread.

I bang this same drum every time someone talks about Bill confusing a young QB. It just doesn't happen because NE tends to play those games as vanilla as possible, letting them screw it up themselves. This often works, but it also creates excellent first games for guys like Big Ben, Pennington, Schaub and Flynn, most of which who never have the same success in their careers. Or at least, who never improve upon it.

The last three times the Pats have opened up against Buffalo, it's either been a blowout or a really tough game. '03 they blew us out, '06 was a rough one (in which Pats fans at the stadium booed the team into the locker room at halftime), and '09 should have been a loss if McKelvin didn't go full ******. I'm certainly not expecting an easy game, even with their question marks/issues at QB.

Yeah, I said the same thing earlier in this thread.

I bang this same drum every time someone talks about Bill confusing a young QB. It just doesn't happen because NE tends to play those games as vanilla as possible, letting them screw it up themselves. This often works, but it also creates excellent first games for guys like Big Ben, Pennington, Schaub and Flynn, most of which who never have the same success in their careers. Or at least, who never improve upon it.

He should study the game film from the Gators/Noles game last season. The Gators completely humiliated E.J. Manuel in every single way possible. The kid isn't ready to be an NFL quarterback, IMO. And I'm not saying that simply because I hate Florida State. He throws a good deep ball, but he's slow in his progressions and reading a defense. I suspect that we'll play a little soft in the first half (if he starts) until Belichick figures this out, then get really aggressive and bring the heat.

That seems totally right in theory, but in reality BB's record against rookie QBs in NE is the same as vs. veterans (about 75%) -- despite the fact that the best veteran opponents with the longest careers and best records end up overrepresented in the sample.

Some of our most disappointing losses have come against rookies or first-time starters.

Heck, look at when we played the Pack in 2011, Flynn gave us fits.

You're right on the money and was gonna say the same thing - when it comes to mediocre/bad QBs this team does better the more film BB has to break down with them.

The last three times the Pats have opened up against Buffalo, it's either been a blowout or a really tough game. '03 they blew us out, '06 was a rough one (in which Pats fans at the stadium booed the team into the locker room at halftime), and '09 should have been a loss if McKelvin didn't go full ******. I'm certainly not expecting an easy game, even with their question marks/issues at QB.

I remember Fred Jackson absolutely lit us up in the 09 game. Drove me nuts that we couldn't stop that guy.

Gilmore out 8 weeks, a pretty good/promising #1 CB.

Scoreboard could be 49-10.

I remember Fred Jackson absolutely lit us up in the 09 game. Drove me nuts that we couldn't stop that guy.

The '09 team couldn't stop much when it came to the run. We really missed Seymour that year.

Is there any team in the NFL who has more injury issues early in a typical NFL season than the Bills?

It seems they are snakebit with the injury bug,especially to key players.

What's going to be the over/under on Bills running attempts if Manuel can't start?

No way the Bills are worse than the Jets/Jaguars. No way.

Always a chance Clowney goes 2nd overall if Bridgewater works out. I'd also add the Raiders to your list but if Manuel doesn't work out, I really don't see the Bills getting many wins.

The hits to the Bills just keep on coming.

Gilmore may well have been the 1 guy the Bills could least afford to lose on that defense. An already highly suspect Bills secondary just became much worse off.

I wonder why he's announcing the starter so far ahead of time, why not keep the Patriots guessing about Manuel possibly starting?

If that game isn't a blowout now.

Someone on another forum I'm on said this about Tuel just before they got Leinart:

I've sat through so many Tuel games in college, it is crazy he might have to run an Nfl offense. I'm surprised they haven't picked up a vet. Shoulda never got rid of TJack, but I'm glad he's the Hawks backup now.

I mean, every game people boo'd Tuel and called for his backup.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back