PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lions looking to trade down from #7? (Allegedly)

How do we avoid the pitfalls that the Ravens 3 TE offense faced once the league found a way to slow Lamar? Cam seems to be at a point in his career that doesn't give us anything better than Jackson.

I'm all ears. I love the idea of three TE's. Just wondering.
What @Patriot Missile said. Additionally, Jackson just had a very poor game against the Titans, which of course could happen with Cam too. Their 2020 offense was different, and I’m not sure that teams really figured out how to properly stop the 2019 3-TE set, they just lost the
pieces to run it again.

IMO, the top 3 picks will be QBs (Lawrence/Wilson/Fields in that order). Falcons pick is in flux at 4, Cinci at 5 will be Sewell or Slater. Would expect Miami to take Pitts if he's there or Chase if not. So Lance could still be there at 7...

I agree.

Fields could easily be #2 or #3.

That leaves us the open question of how much Belichick will trade to get one of the bottom two.
That’s the thing they won’t necessarily go in the order of how good they are.
But ultimately any of the 5 give you a guy who has the skills to be a top QB and it’s up to the coaching staff to develop them. Should not shy away from that.

Ginger Squirrely Dan GIF by Crave

Lombardi has been pretty spot on with QB movement this year. Is adamant that Jests are taking Wilson and SF is either Jones or Lance.

Lombardi has been pretty spot on with QB movement this year. Is adamant that Jests are taking Wilson and SF is either Jones or Lance.

Lombardi is in on the smear campaign. Bill getting random people to "leak" bad info about Fields in order to make him fall so he can scoop him up. Then gets the guy with a big chip on his shoulder. Torches league for next decade. Easy peasy.

Fields may be #2.
pretty sure that the jets are locked onto Zach Wilson at #2. To me the most likely QB to drop is Fields based off all the rumors about him.

Prediction in terms of order taken:

#1 Lawrence
#2 Wilson
#3 Jones or Lance
#7 Fields, Pats trade up.
#9 Jones or Lance

Though of course there is a discussion to be made about who to take at #7 but I think Fields will be ready to start sooner than Lance.

Lawrence, Jones looks to be the most ready to start from Day 1. Followed by Wilson, Fields, Lance in terms of 'readiness'.
In terms of upside there could be an argument that Lance has > upside than Fields or Jones.

You don’t sign $150 million in free agents to throw two seasons away by over drafting a project QB.

what can happen, is an outstanding player could be available to the Pats at 15.

Either BB waits the 49ers out and gets Jimmy, or he rolls with Cam and gets Rodgers next year.

I understand trading down to get back a 3rd round pick could make sense, but I don't want the Pats to trade down. As for trading up, not sure I am that much in to give next year's 1st.

As for the question.
Please no WR at 15
And please no DB in 2nd round.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but let's not overlook the act that the Broncos could attempt to trade with Detroit as well. In that scenario the Lions may prefer Denver's offer since it would mean Detroit would receive preferable draft picks (six spots earlier) than any similar package that New England proposes.

Denver had previously attempted to trade for Matthew Stafford, which means they are most likely wanting to draft a QB in the first round.

One report claimed that the Broncos offered the #9 overall pick and Drew Lock to Detroit for Stafford; a later report stated Denver wanted the Lions to add a 2nd round draft pick along with Stafford for that #9 pick.

You don’t sign $150 million in free agents to throw two seasons away by over drafting a project QB.

what can happen, is an outstanding player could be available to the Pats at 15.

Either BB waits the 49ers out and gets Jimmy, or he rolls with Cam and gets Rodgers next year.
You don't sign $150m in free agents to throw away a season with Cam Newton's corpse, either.

IMO they should just stand pat, maybe move slightly, grab a dude like Waddle. Then call SF and ask about Jimmy one last time. Won’t take your final offer? Package some later picks to move up into the mid 20s and take Mond. Really liking him more and more.

IMO they should just stand pat, maybe move slightly, grab a dude like Waddle. Then call SF and ask about Jimmy one last time. Won’t take your final offer? Package some later picks to move up into the mid 20s and take Mond. Really liking him more and more.
My order
Fields
Lance
Mond
Mills
Jones
Ehlinger
Costello
Please god not Jones

Why did we have to beat the Jets on MNF? Could’ve made this so much easier ;)

pretty sure that the jets are locked onto Zach Wilson at #2. To me the most likely QB to drop is Fields based off all the rumors about him.

Prediction in terms of order taken:

#1 Lawrence
#2 Wilson
#3 Jones or Lance
#7 Fields, Pats trade up.
#9 Jones or Lance

Though of course there is a discussion to be made about who to take at #7 but I think Fields will be ready to start sooner than Lance.

Lawrence, Jones looks to be the most ready to start from Day 1. Followed by Wilson, Fields, Lance in terms of 'readiness'.
In terms of upside there could be an argument that Lance has > upside than Fields or Jones.
I don’t agree that Wilson is definitely going 2 and certainly not that Jones is going 3.

i also don’t see jones as more nfl ready than fields and im curious what you base that on.

Despite what he said later in his press conference this week, I don’t think that picks in the 11 or 12 range were mentioned randomly as potential trade-up spots, if a player whom they like falls. After that press conference, I don’t see them trading up higher that pick 10. I see 10-12 as much more likely than picks 4-8.

Despite what he said later in his press conference this week, I don’t think that picks in the 11 or 12 range were mentioned randomly as potential trade-up spots, if a player whom they like falls. After that press conference, I don’t see them trading up higher that pick 10. I see 10-12 as much more likely than picks 4-8.
I’m going to assume we weren’t able to move up for one of the qbs and they are off the board. Other than QB biggest needs for 22 and beyond are CB, OT, ILB, Wr. Collins should be there at 15 so I’m eliminating the move up for ILB. OT class is pretty good. We could get a flex tackle/22 starter in rounds 2 or 3. Wr is also pretty deep. Could wait here as well unless you feel the gap from the big 3 to the rest of the class is worth the move up. Corner is actually where I’m eyeing if we move up a few spots. Particularly Jaycee Horn. Fits the type of corner we like, and if he gets passed Dallas I would think about jumping Philly for him.

I’m going to assume we weren’t able to move up for one of the qbs and they are off the board. Other than QB biggest needs for 22 and beyond are CB, OT, ILB, Wr. Collins should be there at 15 so I’m eliminating the move up for ILB. OT class is pretty good. We could get a flex tackle/22 starter in rounds 2 or 3. Wr is also pretty deep. Could wait here as well unless you feel the gap from the big 3 to the rest of the class is worth the move up. Corner is actually where I’m eyeing if we move up a few spots. Particularly Jaycee Horn. Fits the type of corner we like, and if he gets passed Dallas I would think about jumping Philly for him.
If not Horn, we could trade down a bit and draft Newsome.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back