PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lightning has struck twice.

The play calling was fine.
And no it’s not “technically called” something.
Spreading the field and bring in the shotgun helps the QB and it worked. The only thing that stopped this offense was fumbled, stupid penalties and a Meyers drop.

Red zone issues. Similar to Brady's last season here. Very soon it will be apparent we're at an intelligence disadvantage in the red zone as DCs keep besting our weak playcalls.

The play calling was fine.
And no it’s not “technically called” something.
Spreading the field and bring in the shotgun helps the QB and it worked. The only thing that stopped this offense was fumbled, stupid penalties and a Meyers drop.

It did not work. Pats lost. Mac took 7 hits playing this way. Could not score in the red zone. Only a stats obsessed oc would consider this game a success.

Red zone issues. Similar to Brady's last season here. Very soon it will be apparent we're at an intelligence disadvantage in the red zone as DCs keep besting our weak playcalls.
What red zone issues? 2 fumbles and a dropped wide open pass. That’s not play calling.
You are grasping at straws.

No question.

He is The One
he is the one GIF

It did not work. Pats lost. Mac took 7 hits playing this way. Could not score in the red zone. Only a stats obsessed oc would consider this game a success.
They lost because of penalties, fumbles and a wide open drop.
In a rookie QBs first game, they punted twice and he set the record for highest completion percentage ever by a rookie in his first start.
If Harris doesn’t fumble OR Stevenson doesn’t fumble OR Meyers direct drop the pass OR Herron doesn’t hold, they win the game.

Comments:

1.) Let's pump the brakes a bit here...

2.) Yeah, I see it too...we all know it... that was an impressive opening debut for a ROOKIE QB.... Lawrence tossed 3 INT's at home, Wilson looked under duress and made some throws, Fields scored a TD in a sub package, and the same for Lance.... but Mac? I didn't feel "worried" about him at all. Looked like a 3rd year veteran with 30+ games under his belt.

3.) My most favorite part about today's performance was how he looked like the loss just damn nearly killed him while he was sitting on the bench at the end....

Comments:

2.) Yeah, I see it too...we all know it... that was an impressive opening debut for a ROOKIE QB.... Lawrence tossed 3 INT's at home, Wilson looked under duress and made some throws, Fields scored a TD in a sub package, and the same for Lance.... but Mac? I didn't feel "worried" about him at all. Looked like a 3rd year veteran with 30+ games under his belt.

3.) My most favorite part about today's performance was how he looked like the loss just damn nearly killed him while he was sitting on the bench at the end....
He was terrrific. He threw accurately. He appeared to make all the right reads. He avoided the rush, bought time and found receivers. He completed 29 passes to 8 different receivers. We had 24 first downs and almost 37 minutes of top. Without 2 fumbles a dropped wide open pass and some stupid penalties this would have been an easy win.
Sucks to lose, but if you told me we had to lose, I’d say make it be because of fumbles and stupid penalties because those are an aberration with this team.

Well, he had a nice first game, but let's not anoint him Brady 2.0 just yet. I am very excited to watch him grow and develop like everyone else, but I think we need to be prepared for some real stinkers too.

EDIT: I am 100% on Team Mac, just trying to temper my enthusiasm
He had an excellent first game against a defense that's probably gonna be top 10 at the end of the year. The Dolphins defense has been very good under Flores. Not surprising considering the work he did for the Patriots in '18. Being able to do work against that defense without createing turnovers is very impressive.

They were protecting Jones a bit tonight, and I honestly feel like it led to the fumble. We used our RBs pretty hard this afternoon and everyone has limits. you can only run into a stacked box so many times before someone makes a mistake.

I think by week 6 in the same situation we see Mac with the ball looking for a TE in the corner of the end zone rather than RBs trying to slam into a stacked run D. Especially against one of the better run Ds in the entire NFL.

I think the training wheels are still on to a point but I'm very optimistic that they won't be on for much longer if Jones keeps executing like this.

It’s just game one…
RG3 when he debuted looked like the goat…then you know what happened.

He had an excellent first game against a defense that's probably gonna be top 10 at the end of the year. The Dolphins defense has been very good under Flores. Not surprising considering the work he did for the Patriots in '18. Being able to do work against that defense without createing turnovers is very impressive.

They were protecting Jones a bit tonight, and I honestly feel like it led to the fumble. We used our RBs pretty hard this afternoon and everyone has limits. you can only run into a stacked box so many times before someone makes a mistake.

I think by week 6 in the same situation we see Mac with the ball looking for a TE in the corner of the end zone rather than RBs trying to slam into a stacked run D. Especially against one of the better run Ds in the entire NFL.

I think the training wheels are still on to a point but I'm very optimistic that they won't be on for much longer if Jones keeps executing like this.

Solution isn't to go even more pass-heavy when he already threw 39 passes and was hit 9 times. And 'opening it up' shouldn't mean exposing him to even more not-protected pass plays where it leaves an open defender available to lay him out.

Very few teams get lucky to have great QBs in quick succession. Montana to Young, Favre to Rodgers, Manning to Luck, I can’t think of many more after that. We’d be very lucky if Mac can continue that winning tradition set by Brady. But the way he played in his first game gives me a lot of hope. He literally plays better every game. From his 1st preseason game to his 1st regular season game, he’s gotten progressively better each game.

I loved his post game interview. Showed me he’s a leader, who will not accept losing.

I think Mac Jones played excellent, gave us a ton to be excited about and I believe he will end up being a top 10 QB for a long time, but Tom Brady is arguably the greatest athlete in the history of all pro sports so we have to keep things in perspective.

Again, no comparison to Brady. I am just happy that we will be competitive and relevant for the next decade or so, and not in the NFL cellar.

Comments:

i liked when he wouldn't take the ball when he threw his first TD best

i liked when he wouldn't take the ball when he threw his first TD best
I loved it. It was like he was saying "WTF? This is just the first of so many." His demeanor, attitude, swagger was showing that he simply believed that he belonged there.

I am really encouraged by what we saw of Jones yesterday. He does look like he as the ability to be a top QB in this league if he develops.

That said, it was only one game. We need to wait to see him over time and wait until other teams have a book on him and develop game plans to exploit what his perceived weaknesses are. One encouraging in that respect though was that the Dolphins did get a lot of pressure on Jones at times and he still stepped up and performed. So they did run plays that worked to get to him and he either still made the play or at least didn't poop his pants.

This was just one game in hopefully a long Patriots career. It was a nice first game. Let's hope he can build on it.

Another thing that stuck out to me that i liked...now i am not a fuddy duddy...i love if/when any player celebrates and dances and all that. It's fun to watch, but i loved when Jones was running back to the side line after the score and they try to give him the ball, he just handed it off to Hoyer and kept it moving....very please with this dude so far. Just about his business...a BB type of guy.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back