PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lightning has struck twice.

It's ultra impressive as Miami CBs are very good and their HC Flores is a good defensive coach.

#1 concern is protecting this kid's health from too many bad hits this year. Trent Brown hurt is very very concerning especially for a spread-shotgun-be-dmned OC.

I'll say it. Mac reminds me of Brady. The way he plays. His attitude. The way he carries himself. He even looks like a young brady. I am all in on mac 100 percent. I'm pushing all my chips in. I'm stomping on the gas pedal, full speed ahead.

Hell yes. No doubt this kid is the answer, have to keep him upright and healthy. Took way too many hits today.

I hope so. He looked awesome…so many times he navigated through tough situations. Hung in the pocket. Tremendous accuracy.

The only reservation I have is the plays that “weren’t made.” I’m talking about the gash plays and especially the red zone darts. Red zone is where you see the difference between Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers. One can get you from the 20 to the 20 but then struggles to laser the ball into a tight window to seal the deal.

Does this mean Jones is Alex Smith? Definitely not. Maybe the plays weren’t there. It’s such a small sample size, and why force anything? I’m sure the Patriots didn’t want to take risks in that type of game either.

So, I’m really excited about Mac…but just trying to also acknowledge what the draft critics pointed out about limitations too. I expect they’ll be prove very wrong and Jones will be an excellent pro quarterback. But I need to see some of the more risky, difficult passes first…the ones where it comes down to raw, elite execution and not decision making.

But hey, it’s game 1 of hopefully many.
He had some lasers there, protected his receivers from the big hits. He was everything as advertised. He needs more 12 personnel to protect himself, but overall great game.

The touch on that wheel route to the RB is all i needed to see. Not many QBs can make that throw. It's what Brady use to do quite often here...no I am not comparing him to Brady. Just the touch and accuracy on that play says a lot!

Last edited:
The touch on that wheel route to the RB is all i needed to see. Not much QBs can make that throw. It's what Brady use to do quite often here...no I am not comparing him to Brady. Just the touch and accuracy on that play says a lot!
Isn’t it amazing how James White suddenly showed up in the offense again and looked good? It’s almost as if the QB makes a difference….. What happened with White last year was the epitome of what was wrong with Cam. No touch on his passes, just lasers (sometimes to his feet). Not noticing he was open and ignoring him, leading to a bad sack or a pass to nowhere. When he does see him, not leading him to pick up YAC and instead bringing him right to the defender. Not able to shift him in the backfield for protection consistently. Not being able to execute a screen pass for the life of him.

Great thread. I'm jealous, the title is so good, wish I had thought of that. Anyways , big picture, nailing on a franchise QB is the most important thing and Belichick did it.

This will be a rebuild year without Gilmore or a bonafide NT, plus the OC doesn't realize 2 TEs can help block near the OLine.

But the future is very bright as long as Mac's body isn't decimated by all the hits this season caused by his egomaniac oc.

Last edited:
I am beyond ecstatic that we have another franchise quarterback in Mac Jones who has shown tonight that he is the real deal. I honestly never thought we wouldn't get that lucky again after Brady left, but it appears that we have.
I think Mac Jones played excellent, gave us a ton to be excited about and I believe he will end up being a top 10 QB for a long time, but Tom Brady is arguably the greatest athlete in the history of all pro sports so we have to keep things in perspective.

3rd down clutch and beat the blitz. Accurate.

But he was taking vicious hits all game. The idiot oc repeatedly went to being predictable with the shotgun spread. Even though we have 2 good tight ends. Even though Herron sucks and was subbing for Trent Brown. They should stay in 12 personnel and under-center almost all the time. Team needs a new OC.
I just rewatched all the shotgun snaps and didn't really see any vicious hits. 1 or 2 maybe big boy hits, but the dude gets the ball out so quickly, it wasn't really an issue. It looked like he operated really well from the gun.

No question.

He is The One
sad keanu reeves GIF

need to find Mac some elite game changing speed in the open field! Don’t want him to have to carry our offense the way brady did in some years

I just rewatched all the shotgun snaps and didn't really see any vicious hits. 1 or 2 maybe big boy hits, but the dude gets the ball out so quickly, it wasn't really an issue. It looked like he operated really well from the gun.

I saw a tweet that he took 7 hits and it may have been a mid game tweet. So maybe more. Try counting to 7. Each hit adds up and is no joke.

Plus most QB's want to be in the gun in that spot.
You get to survey and see what's in front of you.
You're already at your spot.
More reaction time.

It's easier on most QB's.

It's ultra impressive as Miami CBs are very good and their HC Flores is a good defensive coach.

#1 concern is protecting this kid's health from too many bad hits this year. Trent Brown hurt is very very concerning especially for a spread-shotgun-be-dmned OC.
He was back out on the sidelines later in the game, so it wasn't that serious.

3rd down clutch and beat the blitz. Accurate.

But he was taking vicious hits all game. The idiot oc repeatedly went to being predictable with the shotgun spread. Even though we have 2 good tight ends. Even though Herron sucks and was subbing for Trent Brown. They should stay in 12 personnel and under-center almost all the time. Team needs a new OC.
12 personnel: 34 snaps
11 personnel: 26 snaps
21 personnel: 6 snaps
23 personnel: 1 snap
10 personnel: 2 snaps

12 personnel: 34 snaps
11 personnel: 26 snaps
21 personnel: 6 snaps
23 personnel: 1 snap
10 personnel: 2 snaps

There were a ton of plays trying to be fancy having Henry and Smith playing outside in spread shotgun. This would technically be counted as 12. But no, they need to keep Mac under center and keep the TEs close to the weak OLine especially with some crappy OT like Herron (or Durant) in there.

There were a ton of plays trying to be fancy having Henry and Smith playing outside in spread shotgun. This would technically be counted as 12. But no, they need to keep Mac under center and keep the TEs close to the weak OLine especially with some crappy OT like Herron (or Durant) in there.
The play calling was fine.
And no it’s not “technically called” something.
Spreading the field and bring in the shotgun helps the QB and it worked. The only thing that stopped this offense was fumbled, stupid penalties and a Meyers drop.

It’s one game and I am not going to over react to that small of a sample size. There were some people talking about a 20 million a year contract for cam last year about this time. All of that said Mac blew away every notion I had about him. I assumed with the TEs, O line, and RBs on the team the run pass ratio would be 65/35 run. I thought Macs stat line would look something like 15/20 140 yards and a TD. I was expecting short crisp passes that kept them from stacking the box and he would manage the game being extra safe with the ball. Instead they threw the ball more then they ran and I saw at least 5 big boy NFL throws that have me excited to see if he can keep it up, and if he improves look out. That wheel route to White was so very very pretty. That had everything you could ever want on that kind of throw, timing, anticipation, accuracy just a 10/10 perfect shot.

Now like every QB ever, even Brady, he had 4-5 throws I am sure he wants back. That out route to Meyers that was 6 inches out of reach that would have been a huge first down. There was one down field seam route I think he floated a little bit too much that a laser shot would have been completed instead of the db closing and breaking it up. Mac will learn and get stronger in time so I am not too concerned but he does have some things to work on. Still just a very impressive debut where he looked like a 3 year vet not a rookie starting his first game. He is well ahead of the curve and I am beginning to agree with BB for cutting Cam.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back