PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lifelong Panthers fan AMA (ask me anything) Cam Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused with questions of his work ethic because I've never heard any reports. I can only guess that hes drawing conclusions based on what he thinks is evidence. I dont know if this applies to Cam Newton but I've noticed that players with special talents rely on them too much for their own good. Jeff George with his arm, Michael Vic with his legs etc. When that special talent isn't working then they havent worked on plan "B" enough to remain effective. I've often argued that Brady's greatness comes from his ability to overcome his lack of athleticism with "plans "B, C, D, and E. Effecting those plans took a lot of work to perfect. If he had Cams legs or Farves arm he might not have ever worked on alternative plans. Anyway, certainly race plays a factor with some people but to say the only reason to question something has to be about race is wrong I think

I agree to an extent. I’ll just say people can do their own research in regards to how quarterbacks have been stereotyped throughout the history of the sport up until today (see Lamar Jackson). Certainly you can’t tell someone’s true motives from a few posts on a message board for the most part. I can only point out what it appears to look like from the outside when “intellect” and “work ethic” are being discussed for a 30 year old former MVP who just happens to be black, and has faced unreasonable criticism before taking his first pro snap (see the Nolan Nawrocki “scouting report” and others calling him the next Jamarcus Russell).​

But I’ll take folks here at their word and we’ll see how the season unfolds, fingers crossed we even get a full season.

Last edited:
I don’t want to debate the semantics of “work ethic” but I don’t view this example as questionable work ethic at all. I see work ethic as being the first guy in and the last guy out of the building, absorbing as much tape as possible. I see work ethic as keeping your body in tip top shape throughout the year, not just when you are gearing up for training camp.

I think this example is more about maturity and attitude, and when Newton came into the league, he would wear his emotion on his sleeve and be really down when the team lost. In that regard he did mature and realize you’re not going to win every week. But let’s not act like Cam is the only person to be upset on the sideline. I’ve seen even the goat Brady have quite a few temper tantrums way past his rookie and sophomore season.

Absolutely goes to work ethic.

Cam was wasting valuable work/learning time sitting on the bench with towel over his head when he should have been up working/learning.

I agree that he has made improvements in this area.

I've seen no real evidence of this first-in/last-out stance you've taken but let's assume it's true...

...this would imply I am wrong about the reason Cam never mastered the playbook.

Is he someone who openly exchanges with talking heads and becomes noticably rattled or is he more "let my play do the talking " type.

Other than NFL mandated press conferences during the week & post game, Cam does not talk to the local media. If you ever hear him speak on a radio show I will be surprised. (with my luck he already has!)

Absolutely goes to work ethic.

Cam was wasting valuable work/learning time sitting on the bench with towel over his head when he should have been up working/learning.

I agree that he has made improvements in this area.

I've seen no real evidence of this first-in/last-out stance you've taken but let's assume it's true...

...this would imply I am wrong about the reason Cam never mastered the playbook.

Teammates have said Cam was first in/last out. A current pats player who played with Cam was quoted saying as much in this thread. Anyway, you clearly are stuck on the idea that Newton is either too lazy to master a playbook or too dumb.

I’d say a player that totally dominates the entire league on his way to MVP and the Super Bowl clearly has mastered his own playbook, but if you want to continue to be hung up on a few quotes about play calls in the huddle, you do you.

Anyway, you clearly are stuck on the idea that Newton is either too lazy to master a playbook or too dumb.

Newton said. "I really have problems calling plays, even in Year 8. He just helps me."

Cam said it, not me.

What's your explanation for why a seasoned veteran has "problems calling plays"?

Newton said. "I really have problems calling plays, even in Year 8. He just helps me."

Cam said it, not me.

What's your explanation for why a seasoned veteran has "problems calling plays"?

Cam’s own explanation: I’m in the huddle, I’m tired, I can’t be saying a whole paragraph. There’s only so much time to call a play.

So sounds like Cam prefers play calls that aren’t so long and drawn out, not because he’s too dumb or lazy to learn the play as you insinuate, but because he feels it’s unnecessary and takes up too much time, especially after he may have just scrambled for 30 yards and is still catching his breath.

Not to mention Cam’s former OC Mike Shula would often take forever to get the play down to the field. Any Panthers fan knows this fact.

There’s only so much time to call a play.

So sounds like Cam prefers play calls that aren’t so long...because he feels it’s unnecessary and takes up too much time.

First statement is definitely true. Panthers are known for regularly breaking the huddle with a short play-clock...makes sense given Olsen regularly has to re-call the play correctly.

As for being "tired"...LOL...not a valid excuse.

As for the latter, it's nice that Cam "prefers" certain things as it goes to plays and their naming but unfortunately for him, that's not his decision.

Think Cam's unwillingness to assimilate may have factored into Rhule's decision to let him go?

Last edited:
There's a significant amount of this thread devoted to play calling. That will not be an issue in New England - with Newton or any of the QBs. The Patriots will install an offense for each opponent in the week leading up to the game, and Josh will call what looks to the guys upstairs and the players feel will work.. As we've all seen, the playbook expands as the season progresses with different guys adding rushing or pass-catching roles. Josh and the coaching staff will take care of all that.

Where I think Newton excels from what I've looked at so far is reading defenses when he has time to do so. There are lots of examples of him signalling his receivers and backs to adjust to what he sees the defense doing. Someone mentioned that the Panthers broke the huddle late a lot. I saw substitutions on offense happening slowly that put the players on the field deep into the play clock which is not something we see in new England.

A big question that I have about Newton is whether he and Josh will get on the same page to use the hurry-up, no-huddle offense effectively. The Patriots with Brady were masterful at going no-huddle when the offense was bogged down, and they needed to get some tempo and put the opposing defense on its heels. That was especially true when they saw a defense they like a lot and chose to eliminate substitutions. That takes the OC and QB seeing the same things.

Cam’s own explanation: I’m in the huddle, I’m tired, I can’t be saying a whole paragraph. There’s only so much time to call a play.

So sounds like Cam prefers play calls that aren’t so long and drawn out, not because he’s too dumb or lazy to learn the play as you insinuate, but because he feels it’s unnecessary and takes up too much time, especially after he may have just scrambled for 30 yards and is still catching his breath.

Not to mention Cam’s former OC Mike Shula would often take forever to get the play down to the field. Any Panthers fan knows this fact.
He isn't worth arguing with. He is in other threads basically saying Covid is no big deal. He is one of those types...

There's a significant amount of this thread devoted to play calling. That will not be an issue in New England - with Newton or any of the QBs. Josh and the coaching staff will take care of all that.

Someone mentioned that the Panthers broke the huddle late a lot.

A big question that I have about Newton is whether he and Josh will get on the same page to use the hurry-up, no-huddle offense effectively.

I think you misunderstand the concern. Cam doesn't "call plays" in terms of choosing which play is run -- his issue is in the huddle where he struggles to accurately repeat the play which was called into him through the headset.

To be fair to Cam there are a number of reasons the Panthers routinely broke huddle late...pretty much all derive from ineffective coaching.

I believe Cam will thrive in the hurry-up O. (note: assumes BB & Co are able to coach all the post-play celebrating out of him)

upload_2020-7-23_12-25-20-png.27883

PS...to your point about Cam reading the D and adjusting, there is reason for optimism, good video here:

That's the Cam we all want to see re-emerge.

If you get Cam at 70-80% healthy, you'll be contending for the AFC championship without a doubt. His health is really the x-factor, and I think the main issue is his throwing shoulder. If that holds up, look out. The thing is that shoulder isn't something you'll know can hold up until you get late into the season. I will be holding my breath with cautious optimism every snap and enjoying the ride.

Through two weeks Cam seems to be closer to 100% healthy. Fingers crossed the shoulder holds up.

fwiw the AFC championship prediction was made before all the opt outs on defense, but anything can happen

Through two weeks Cam seems to be closer to 100% healthy. Fingers crossed the shoulder holds up.

fwiw the AFC championship prediction was made before all the opt outs on defense, but anything can happen
Cam looks awesome. The pass protection is also great and that's working wonders for them too.

Cam looks awesome. The pass protection is also great and that's working wonders for them too.
Not only that, his mechanics look good and even his pocket presence it better. Throughout this game, he rarely ever "scrambled" on pass plays. He looked to me that he calmly stayed in the pocket, often completed his full progression before throwing to the open man.

It's all about the coaching boys. In 2 games the Pats have yet to have an offensive penalty. That stat just blew my mind. Think about it. No offsides, no holding, no illegal procedures, no delay of game, etc. Compare that to the 8 or 10 penalties Brady has had to deal with down in "fun town:"

Best of all just listen to Cam talk about how much he LOVES being coached by his coaches and how much he is learning about the game he's played for over a decade at a high level (most of the time) I still hate his wardrobe, but I LOVE what he's been saying, and even more importantly how he's been playing

Would you recommend Charlotte as a good place to raise your family?

Exactly right about the offensive line

I’ve been saying that the line is the key to their success. If Cam isn’t immediately under pressure he can be really really hard to stop.

Would you recommend Charlotte as a good place to raise your family?

I’ve never lived in Charlotte but I have friends who live there. From everything I’ve seen and heard it’s a great place to raise a family. You see a lot of former Panthers players who leave the team move back to Charlotte after retirement because they like it so much. NC in general is a great place to raise a family.

Cam Newton showed more accountability after Sunday night's loss than Tom Brady did all season last year after his piss poor quarterbacking contributed bigly to Patriots losses...

And I'm not saying Newton was at fault at all for the loss - he took one for the team. Newton made one mistake, really, but otherwise was excellent - far better than Sad Tom over and of his last 9 games in 2019

Not only that, his mechanics look good and even his pocket presence it better. Throughout this game, he rarely ever "scrambled" on pass plays. He looked to me that he calmly stayed in the pocket, often completed his full progression before throwing to the open man.

It's all about the coaching boys. In 2 games the Pats have yet to have an offensive penalty. That stat just blew my mind. Think about it. No offsides, no holding, no illegal procedures, no delay of game, etc. Compare that to the 8 or 10 penalties Brady has had to deal with down in "fun town:"

Best of all just listen to Cam talk about how much he LOVES being coached by his coaches and how much he is learning about the game he's played for over a decade at a high level (most of the time) I still hate his wardrobe, but I LOVE what he's been saying, and even more importantly how he's been playing
Yes, his poise and instincts stood out to me. He knows when to dodge in the pocket vs when to break out of there, and his eyes stay downfield. He plays like a successful 31 year old.

What's not to like? Great arm, great escapism, great runner on designed plays, good judgment. He's picked up the offense in 2 months to where they had no offensive penalties and few if any blown protections, while throwing for 400 yards. It's actually pretty astounding.

Cam Newton showed more accountability after Sunday night's loss than Tom Brady did all season last year after his piss poor quarterbacking contributed bigly to Patriots losses...

And I'm not saying Newton was at fault at all for the loss - he took one for the team. Newton made one mistake, really, but otherwise was excellent - far better than Sad Tom over and of his last 9 games in 2019
That INT wasn't even a blatant mistake, the throw was on the money but good positioning and play by the CB.

Yes, his poise and instincts stood out to me. He knows when to dodge in the pocket vs when to break out of there, and his eyes stay downfield. He plays like a successful 31 year old.

What's not to like? Great arm, great escapism, great runner on designed plays, good judgment. He's picked up the offense in 2 months to where they had no offensive penalties and few if any blown protections, while throwing for 400 yards. It's actually pretty astounding.

You are missing the point. The press conference clothing and hair style disqualify him from being a good quarterback, regardless of the above, because it makes some fans uncomfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes