PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lifelong Panthers fan AMA (ask me anything) Cam Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't say offense. He said he carried the entire team. That defense was outstanding. Rated 6th in points and yards and had play makers everywhere. They played great in the SB forcing a pick, fumble and sacked Manning five times but Newton's pick and two fumbles cost them the game.

If you want to say any one person cost Carolina the Super Bowl it was RT Mike Remmers, and by extension OC Mike Shula who left Remmers on an island 1v1 with Von Miller the entire game.

No quarterback would have stood a chance with the game's premier pass rusher having free shots to strip sack him over and over. I said leading up to that game that the only way Denver stood a chance is if Von Miller goes off, and that's exactly what happened.

The multiple drops by Carolina WRs throughout the game didn't help either. That's what happens when you have a bunch of JAGs as your WR corp.

He didn't say offense. He said he carried the entire team. That defense was outstanding. Rated 6th in points and yards and had play makers everywhere. They played great in the SB forcing a pick, fumble and sacked Manning five times but Newton's pick and two fumbles cost them the game.

So it wasn’t a great DEF on a historic run? The same one that hit TB 20 times the week before. I think Von Miller creates a TD in that game too. It had to be the INT that bounced off Ted Ginns hands. Not Cotchery dropping 3 passes. Not a missed FG. Not no adjustment to blocking. Not the PR team who went to commercial early and gave up a return inside the 5.When they thought the play was over. Not Tolberts fumble? Not the 2 CBs that weren’t even on the roster before Thanksgiving.

Just all on Cam? Of course.

If you want to say any one person cost Carolina the Super Bowl it was RT Mike Remmers, and by extension OC Mike Shula who left Remmers on an island 1v1 with Von Miller the entire game.

No quarterback would have stood a chance with the game's premier pass rusher having free shots to strip sack him over and over. I said leading up to that game that the only way Denver stood a chance is if Von Miller goes off, and that's exactly what happened.

The multiple drops by Carolina WRs throughout the game didn't help either. That's what happens when you have a bunch of JAGs as your WR corp.
I was rooting hard for the Panthers since I hate Manning but the carriage definitely turned back into a pumpkin as far as those receivers went. Gin costing then an INT as well as all the dropped passes. Cam didn't play a great game but when Von Miller is in your ear hole all night and you're throwing to bottom of the barrel NFL receivers that aren't just playing poorly they're actively hindering your chances to win you don't really stand a chance.

I was rooting hard for the Panthers since I hate Manning but the carriage definitely turned back into a pumpkin as far as those receivers went. Gin costing then an INT as well as all the dropped passes. Cam didn't play a great game but when Von Miller is in your ear hole all night and you're throwing to bottom of the barrel NFL receivers that aren't just playing poorly they're actively hindering your chances to win you don't really stand a chance.

This is so true, and the amazing part is even after all that Carolina was still in the game late into the fourth quarter. I think it was the type of matchup Carolina wins 9 times out of 10. Just so happens they picked a bad night to have a bad night.

Look, no one is claiming that Cam is perfect or hasn't made mistakes both on and off the field. I personally think he kinda choked in the Super Bowl. But we're talking about whether the level of scrutiny is the same for him as it is for other players like him based upon color, especially ten years ago. The guy has deficiencies as a QB, but I ask you, regarding his behavior, how much difference do you see between his behavior and that of Gronk's? One guy is absolutely idolized, whereas the other guy is selfish, calling attention to himself yada, yada, yada. I really think that if Cam was coming out of college today, no one would bat an eyelash. But because his reputation is cemented in stone for many, there is no going back for him. We'll see how he does for the rest of the season, but for now I'm glad the Pats got lucky and didn't sign about five other guys that got better contracts than he did this offseason.

Look, no one is claiming that Cam is perfect or hasn't made mistakes both on and off the field. I personally think he kinda choked in the Super Bowl. But we're talking about whether the level of scrutiny is the same for him as it is for other players like him based upon color, especially ten years ago. The guy has deficiencies as a QB, but I ask you, regarding his behavior, how much difference do you see between his behavior and that of Gronk's? One guy is absolutely idolized, whereas the other guy is selfish, calling attention to himself yada, yada, yada. I really think that if Cam was coming out of college today, no one would bat an eyelash. But because his reputation is cemented in stone for many, there is no going back for him. We'll see how he does for the rest of the season, but for now I'm glad the Pats got lucky and didn't sign about five other guys that got better contracts than he did this offseason.
Somehow you managed to have a worse comparison than Kaep/Cam with your Gronk/Cam comparison. Good heavens. Relax. Cam is doing just fine. He is a big boy.

Last edited:
Carolina has a new owner, new head coach, and they just didn't want the risk of having Cam around.

Can't say I couldn't blame them given the circumstances, but personally I believe Rhule was a bad hire to begin with.

I didn't really get the decision for them to cut Cam. He was the face of the franchise. I get it that we was hurt, but they signed Bridgewater who has spent a larger chunk of his career also hurt and not playing.

Whew, yeah that take about being a quitter just couldn't be further from the truth and is just used to confirm the bias people already had. If the fumble didn't happen, they would be looking at some other instance. Trust me, ever since Cam came into the league people had this "he can't do this" narrative. For the longest time it was "Cam will never lead a team to the playoffs" then it was "Cam will never lead his team to a playoff win" then it was "Cam will never lead the team to the Super Bowl" then it was "Cam will never lead a team to a Super Bowl win", just moving the goal posts further and further after they are proven wrong over and over again. This past summer it was "Cam is washed up, Cam is too much of a ME guy, Cam wouldn't fit in with certain locker rooms, Cam wouldn't accept a back up role" etc etc.

If anything it just shows how little people's narratives matter.

As for Cam coming into the league now and what the perception would be, I think you're absolutely right. I think it's one of those things we'll look back on as Cam being a trailblazer for these other types of QBs, and especially for athletic black kids having the chance to play QB instead of automatically being put at skill positions.

Narratives are created by the narrators and they can be influential.

Cam has been a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect him to be as likeable after the way he came into the league with both gums blazing. He's grown up.

Once I saw a replay of the fumble I saw it clearly. Cam tried to make a play instead of falling on the ball. I can't fault him for that.

The NYFL didn't seem to want running QB's of any color. Maybe it was because of the fear of injury, the radical changes it would require or the fact that only pocket passers were having success, especially when the league went pass-happy with the rules. Even now the winners, like Wilson and Mahomes, are more passers than runners.

Were there any injury worries with Cam before the last year or so? Or do you really view them as fluke occurrences?

One of my concerns has also been that I view running quarterbacks as usually running on empty by the postseason because of the extra punishment they take as a runner. Has that been something you've noticed with Cam?

Were there any injury worries with Cam before the last year or so? Or do you really view them as fluke occurrences?

One of my concerns has also been that I view running quarterbacks as usually running on empty by the postseason because of the extra punishment they take as a runner. Has that been something you've noticed with Cam?

Cam never had any real injury concerns until the partially torn rotator cuff on his throwing shoulder in 2016, which came on a play where he tried to make a tackle after an interception. He actually chased the defender down like 70 yards and dove to make the tackle, laying it all on the line. Unfortunately after years of HC Ron Rivera mismanaging the injury it has stuck around. Last season he also dealt with the flukey lisfranc injury.

But overall, despite all the running Cam has done over the years he really hasn't been an injury risk because of running.

Cam has said it himself, he's not built like any other "running quarterback" the game has ever seen. He's bigger than most anyone on the field except the linemen. So comparing the average running quarterback to Cam as far as injuries go isn't really apples to apples.

Were any of you Panther fans at the last game of the year in 2001 against the Pats. I was there with my son and about 12,000 other Pats fans. We took over the empty place. Carolina finished 1-15 that year.

The strange part was there we were, looking at the scoreboard and seeing that the Jete were beating the Raiders, so we all started doing the Jete chant. The Jete win gave the Pats their last home game at the old stadium against the Raiders.

The rest is history.

Were any of you Panther fans at the last game of the year in 2001 against the Pats. I was there with my son and about 12,000 other Pats fans. We took over the empty place. Carolina finished 1-15 that year.

The strange part was there we were, looking at the scoreboard and seeing that the Jete were beating the Raiders, so we all started doing the Jete chant. The Jete win gave the Pats their last home game at the old stadium against the Raiders.

The rest is history.

Ah the Chris Weinke era. I was not at that game, but that season did enable us to draft Julius Peppers with the second pick which helped to build the defense that would face off against NE in the Super Bowl just two seasons after 1-15.

Pretty wild turn of events.

Last edited:
I didn't really get the decision for them to cut Cam. He was the face of the franchise. I get it that we was hurt, but they signed Bridgewater who has spent a larger chunk of his career also hurt and not playing.

I only gave you my opinion on why they cut him, don't know the actual fact.

However, if you read my few posts so far on this forum, I've alluded to the fact that the Panthers never really seemed to of have a great owner (more or less being forced to sell the team to the new owner), GM or head coaching in the past. Added the fact that when the organization did let both Olsen and Newton go, it seemed more like a soap opera caused by the organization and didn't give me an impression of a "class act" (either way, no money out of my pocket).

I happen to agree with you on Bridgwater, which makes me believe things will never change in Carolina. Carolina's new head coach also had me scratching my head. Don't get me wrong, he's turned some programs around (twice), but he leaves and moves on once things look good on paper after a winning season (added the fact that he's only coached college football). Rhuels combined wins losses in college is 47/41, not exactly a stellar track record for 7 seasons, and then get thrown into a complete rebuild of a pro football team? That said, Tepper is a billionaire and I'm not, so he has to know something I don't.

That said, sometimes things work out for reasons you can't see at the time. Seems like Cam could be a perfect example...

If New Englands offensive line can stay healthy and give Cam some time like the last two games, the Patriots may surprise everyone after the the GOAT left.

Last edited:
Belichick made him a captain. Other players have noted it. If you haven't seen the evidence it's because you haven't looked.

There have been about twenty stories written about how much he has impressed people with his work ethic. At least one in the last day. Maybe you are a boomer so let me help you. Click here:

Come back once you've shown you have a minimal work ethic when discussing other people's character.

You are 100% correct Cam has proven himself with the Patriots as it goes to work ethic, etc.....no doubt about it and it's clear he's turned over a new leaf due to proper expectations, a defined power structure, and great coaching...none of which he ever really had in Charlotte.

This is exactly the opportunity Cam needed and I am thrilled for him. If he and BB remain on the same page the resulting output can be astoundingly good, and for the opposition, devastating

As for your comment that "Belichick made him a captain", that's inaccurate. Patriots captains are elected by the players and and Cam's Patriot teammates picked him to be a captain -- again a great sign that Cam has turned over a new leaf.

You're probably unaware but this wasn't the case in Charlotte:
1601084047242.png1601087882594.png

Last edited:
Through two weeks Cam seems to be closer to 100% healthy. Fingers crossed the shoulder holds up.

fwiw the AFC championship prediction was made before all the opt outs on defense, but anything can happen

Healthy as a horse.

Told you so!

Would you recommend Charlotte as a good place to raise your family?

If you are serious about considering the area look in Belmont and Gastonia, both are close by and both great family places.

Unfortunately Charlotte proper is headed the way of Baltimore.

Carolina has a new owner, new head coach, and they just didn't want the risk of having Cam around.

Can't say I couldn't blame them given the circumstances, but personally I believe Rhule was a bad hire to begin with.

While I think your statement is complete nonsense I do find it interesting and...

...am curious what in your opinion were the specific "risk(s)" of "having Cam around"?

Rhule is going to rule.

Last edited:
yeah that dude is a troll who got kicked off a panthers message board before bringing the same garbage here :coffee::)

So says the nut-hugger.

You're not a "conflicted Panthers fan", you were never a Panthers fan and you have no connection to the area...and here you are.

Certainly offensively the Panther offense was inferior compared to most Super Bowl contending teams.

In 2015 Panthers offense was ranked #1 in the key metric -- points scored.

Broncos 2015 offense was ranked #19.

Panthers D was ranked #6 in points allowed.

Broncos D ranked #4 in points allowed.

So the matchup was #1O/#6D vs. #19O/#4D...

...who had the edge?

Last edited:

It was a curious decision.

Tepper is a rational person (if not clinical) who doesn't allow emotion to affect his buy/sell decisions in his Appaloosa business and the expected-value of retaining Cam FAR outweighed that of letting him go (as we are seeing) --- there was some other factor in play that hasn't yet been revealed publicly, but was the catalyst for the decision.

My hunch is it's as simple as they just didn't like him, or inherently they did not trust him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye