PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lifelong Panthers fan AMA (ask me anything) Cam Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can make stats tell any story you want. I would say looking at a stat like "points scored" is pointless for the simple fact that Cam played under an old school defensive coach in Ron Rivera who would completely take his foot off the gas the minute the Panthers got a lead.
Talk about making up what you want....
They were 1 game under .500 outside of 2015 so they weren’t sitting in a lot of leads.

As far as the AFCC contention, what I'm taking into account is that the typically awful division the Pats are fortunate to play in should result in a playoff appearance if not a bye, a strong defense and the best coach the game has ever seen. If I'm not mistaken the Pats have a young but promising offensive line as well? I saw one Boston reporter saying they could be the best offensive line in the league but I'm not sure about that. All this hinges on Cam being healthy, but if he is, this coaching staff, defense and even an average offensive line should produce scary results.
With the GOAT they couldn’t win a WC game. So you are saying Newton is better than Brady?

Our playbook is among the toughest in the league. It's why so many receivers come here and fizzle...

It's not "the playbook." It's the changes that the coaching staff put together from week to week on both sides of the ball.

The question is appropriate. Can Cam Newton adjust to a new game plan every week? He'll be asked to throw 50 passes one week and 25 the next depending on the strengths and weaknesses of the opponent.

From everything I've seen, Newton can read a defense and adjust at the line of scrimmage. What is unclear is whether he'll be able to execute an offense that is different from one week to the next.

My question is, will Newton embrace the idea that he's on a team that is looking to make a deep playoff run. That means he must take care of his body and sublimate his instincts to run when things break down. He does us no good if he breaks down during the season. He has to make his goal to make it through the regular season. He can't just take off and take shots when things break down in the passing game.

They were 1 game under .500 outside of 2015 so they weren’t sitting in a lot of leads.

With the GOAT they couldn’t win a WC game. So you are saying Newton is better than Brady?

Did I say taking your foot off the gas was a winning strategy?

Andy, please.

You can't compare and say things like the bolded. It's just too casual and black and white with all due respect.

What happened last week-game doesn't matter. Styles, matchups change. Players improves, injuries happen ... It's literally pointless and again casual as hell to pretend you can pick out Brady, insert Cam and say something to the effect of your post.

Really wish this entire fan base was behind him. Enough about his hairstyle and clothes. Honestly that **** is borderline offensive. Let people be themselves. I'm trying to think of lowlights during his career and there aren't many things you can point to concerning leadership, accountability ...

[

Dude like I’ve mentioned before, there are diehard Panthers fans that hated Cam and just tolerated him even when we were cruising. Some have dubbed those F150 Panthers fans. An outspoken black quarterback leading the franchise was basically their worst nightmare. They have a lot more issues than sports.

Biggest concern about Cam is his ability to learn the playbook in such a short time..

I mean there are many ways to mitigate this. From going the JimmyG route of only working half of the field, to just starting out with a core set of 60-75% of plays and then expanding it through the season.

For me it always comes back to Cam's health.

I think Cam can handle any playbook you throw at him pats fans. He's only a Heisman winning QB that won a title in college. Played in the SB with 10 years of NFL experience in multiple systems. Hit him up on Insta tho to drop tips.

Lazar had another dive with dozens of plays that were showing how accurate he can be throwing into tight windows in the last few weeks at some point.

It really sucks that this kind of things are only highlighted by the smaller media entities while the Currans and Volins of this world keep polling people on Twitter whether Brady should have worn a mask when he visited the Bucs facility.

Just save your time and ignore the guy. As many regulars around here are doing.

Thanks or the informative posts. Hope you stick around and check in now and then. We have a couple of posters from various teams coming in a couple times a season and its always nice to have a fresh view from outside the bubble.

Hello Pats Nation all the way from North Carolina. As you can see by my username, I am a Panthers fan who as of a few weeks ago became a Pats fan as well. Full disclosure, in the past I HATED the Pats, going back to when you guys beat us in the Super Bowl in 2003, which was a hell of a shootout. That said, as time past I gained respect for the sustained success (asterisks be damned), and by the time NE was playing Atlanta in the Super Bowl I was all aboard. We still owe you guys for denying Matt Ryan and the Failcons a championship.

All this to say, now that Mr. Cameron Jerrell Newton has signed to New England I am fully on the Pats wagon as the team I'm pulling for the most outside of the Panthers. If Carolina isn't winning the Super Bowl (highly likely they won't), I want the Pats to win with Newton at QB.

Since Cam has been signed, I've been reading this forum and the discussion surrounding the signing. I have to say, you guys are having the some of the exact same conversations and concerns (on and off the field) Panthers fans have been having going on ten years.

So as someone who has seen virtually every single Cam Newton snap since his first preseason game in Carolina and followed him closely, I humbly offer my thoughts and insight from the point of view as a lifelong Panthers fan (I was ten years old when the franchise began).

TLDR version: What do you want to know about Cam Newton from someone who has seen damn near every snap he has taken since being in the NFL?
your time as a pats fan could be very short. he might not make it out of camp if he doesn't fall in line with the head coach. fingers crossed he gets cut. if it was up to me you could have him back. I'm consistent. I couldn't stand him when he was a panther. I'm not going to change my mind just because he has a pats jersey on.

Last edited:
Look I understand you are cam Newton’s biggest fan, but I’m just looking for reality.
To tell me Rivera wanted to stop scoring with a big lead is one thing but to say he backed off of scoring in games he lost is just not a reasonable take.

Andy, please.

You can't compare and say things like the bolded. It's just too casual and black and white with all due respect.

What happened last week-game doesn't matter. Styles, matchups change. Players improves, injuries happen ... It's literally pointless and again casual as hell to pretend you can pick out Brady, insert Cam and say something to the effect of your post.
It’s relevant to a comment that the team is so great that 70% of newton elevates them to contending for an AFCC when they just ended a season with Brady as not a true contender.

of course anything can happen but his comment was with newton at 70-80% they add afcc contenders without a doubt.

I have doubts about this team with Brady and further doubts about newton.

By all accounts from coaches and players in the Panthers locker room Cam was always a great teammate and leader.

Saying he's not a mature adult or a leader is either being totally ignorant or disingenuous at best.
It's neither, but thanks for the reply I guess.

Look I understand you are cam Newton’s biggest fan, but I’m just looking for reality.
To tell me Rivera wanted to stop scoring with a big lead is one thing but to say he backed off of scoring in games he lost is just not a reasonable take.

It’s a simple fact that that is exactly what happened throughout Rivera’s tenure. Ask any Panthers fan. At one point Ron Rivera was like 2-14 in games decided by a touchdown or less. Finally, when Rivera got away from being so conservative he was actually dubbed Riverboat Ron, trust me, there were t-shirts...only to revert back to his old ways not long after.

I mean, it is. Just look at Greg Olsen’s comments that came out today. The take that he is not mature and a poor leader is not based in reality.
Sure it isn't.

Curious, what will you now do with all the Superman gear in your basement?

I mean there are many ways to mitigate this. From going the JimmyG route of only working half of the field, to just starting out with a core set of 60-75% of plays and then expanding it through the season.

For me it always comes back to Cam's health.

I think the Pats were always prepared that Brady was getting suspended in 2016...I mean they knew in May that he was going to miss the 1st month. The timeline here is much more condensed.

It’s a simple fact that that is exactly what happened throughout Rivera’s tenure. Ask any Panthers fan. At one point Ron Rivera was like 2-14 in games decided by a touchdown or less. Finally, when Rivera got away from being so conservative he was actually dubbed Riverboat Ron, trust me, there were t-shirts...only to revert back to his old ways not long after.
None of that says you can’t judge Newton’s offense by scoring points.
But you seem hellbent on making excuses for him so I’ll back out and let you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST