PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Let's Talk Free Agency 2024

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was saying the elite player might be dt. Wilkins or madubuik, Chris Jones will be too expensive. Hypothetically if you sign wilkins or madubuik whats the cap hit the 1st year if you layer it the right way? Cuz theyll trade Godchaux and save 8 mil right there. And wilkins is a new England kid right?

Baremore with wilkins or madubuik on the inside with judon wise and k. White on the edge would be elite

That's how you even up the score with these elite qbs in a hurry
Get to the qb have a good secondary
Interesting.

They spent $150 million something in 2021 (signing bonuses and future salary guarantees) coming off a year in which they lost all of their stadium revenue because of Covid.
Once in 10+ years. Averaged out it was not an overall significant event, as we have repeatedly discussed. Will the Pats consistently spend going forward, starting in 2024, or spend big one time and then pull back for many years? Will the Pats return to last in actual average cash spend after a blip in 2024? How big will the 2024 blip be?

I want to start hearing more about keeping Anfernee Jennings. I think this guy is coming into his own. Had some visions of Rosevelt Colvin this year with Anfernee.
Agreed, I've Made mention that he's a guy we absolutely need to retain, home grown and will be a key player for us.

I think Dugger is a better player than Peppers. It might not have looked like that last year because Peppers got to play a true SS role while Dugger had to do the FS stuff. They're both SSs in an ideal world so I've bene on the train we should let one go to be replaced with a FS. Dugger being the FA, it was logical to me he'd be the one to go. I figured you let Dugger go, sign a FS and try to extend Peppers.

That being said, even if it wasn't ideal, it was far from a CRIPPLING weakness last year so it's not awful to keep playing them together. And since Dugger is the better player, you can plan to let Peppers go next year if paying them both rather than allocating some of those resources to a complimentary FS type is a problem. Especially if there isn't the guys at other positions to spend on in FA this year, it's not a bad way to allocate funds.

Ultimately, this team needs high end talent. I think Dugger, if allowed to be a true, full time SS is a potential borderline pro bowl guy at SS. So I'm fine keeping guys like that since we desperately need some cornerstones. Personally, I don't think Peppers is all that far behind him and he's only 1 year older so I'd rather just extend Peppers, presumably for less because you'd be doing it a year ahead of FA, and then put savings towards a FS. But what you'd like to do doesn't always line up with the guys available and the contracts they'll sign for.
Interesting.. I know Dugger is bigger and more rangy, but peppers was a former 1st round pick, he had some injuries that slowed him down. However last season he was playing at an all pro level in a defense that was on the field more than the offense was. I believe Dugger and peppers offer different skill sets to the defense.. peppers is more of a Rodney type physical presence at SS. The devoid of a FS is why Dugger had some struggles last season. Mayo should be all over Kevin Byard.

Once in 10+ years. Averaged out it was not an overall significant event, as we have repeatedly discussed. Will the Pats consistently spend going forward, starting in 2024, or spend big one time and then pull back for many years? Will the Pats return to last in actual average cash spend after a blip in 2024? How big will the 2024 blip be?
Based on what’s on the books now, they’re going to need to pay out roughly $600 million over the 24-26 seasons just to meet the 90% spending floor, they’re not going to do that building through the draft and resigning their current good players.

They’re going to spend because they have to. I just hope they spend it on useful, productive players.

Based on what’s on the books now, they’re going to need to pay out roughly $600 million over the 24-26 seasons just to meet the 90% spending floor, they’re not going to do that building through the draft and resigning their current good players.

They’re going to spend because they have to. I just hope they spend it on useful, productive players.

Agreed. Lots of spending will be to resign their own players.

I am on record saying they should sign defensive FAs because those are the BPA in FA, and only draft offensive players. Rebuild by having a top 3 defense after signing defensive FAs, and slowly put together the offense (not with halfway players like Baker Mayfield) by drafting well.

white
barmore
wilkins
judon

They would arguably be the best DL in the NFL & elevate the defense to top 5. Also, this is why I'm not ruling out the pats being competitive next year. Players like wilkins, ridley, etc. would help a lot towards improving the talent on the team.

A 20th ranked offense & top 5 defense is within reach with some high level FA signings & a good draft.

O
Agreed. Lots of spending will be to resign their own players.

I am on record saying they should sign defensive FAs because those are the BPA in FA, and only draft offensive players. Rebuild by having a top 3 defense after signing defensive FAs, and slowly put together the offense (not with halfway players like Baker Mayfield) by drafting well.
i agree, except for the last sentence. Who’s your QB?

Tyrone Smith would be a dream pickup in FA, but his price will be very high. This is a guy you could build a new team around.

O

i agree, except for the last sentence. Who’s your QB?

It is three steps.

Step 1 - Build a strong defense. Sign defensive FAs this year, I suggest three with one at each level, an EDGE across from Judon, a tall press CB across from Gonzo, and a Free Safety in the back. Those three are a perfect compliment to our already good defense. We would have a top 3 defense to build around.
Step 2 - Draft offense in '24 with a look to bolstering the running game. I think a slight trade down, like 3 to 6 with the Giants, and add an extra one or two draft picks in R2. Pick a QB at #6 - I like JJM because he was a good system QB at Michigan, can scramble with the highest scrambling completion %, and he can grow with the team, but I am not a QB draft guru. In the 2nd round pick tackles, meaning two, and a RB in R3, and 3rd down back in R4. Build the OL and the running game while protecting and growing the QB.
Step 3 - In the '25 draft draft your TEs and WRs to fill out the passing game. We might have a hole or two to plug as well in '25 and we will have the cap dollars to do that.

You might not agree. There are various other options, but this is what I would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes