PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Let's Talk Free Agency 2024

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a hunch it's gonna be another DT
Chris jones, Christian Wilkins, Justin madubuik

I'd lean toward the latter 2 due to the money.
If this does happen I see the pats trading godchaux. He would save 8 mil

More of an attack style D
Baremore with 1 of these guys on the inside with judon wise and keion white on the outside
Pats can probably get away with just rushing 4
2 of those 3 will get tagged.

He's 33 isn't he? Not saying he's the answer but if he's willing to take 2-3 years this team could do a hell of a lot worse. Health permitting of course.
I'd take him for 1 year to serve as a bridge.

Market values for our own FAs. They look reasonable, except Dugger. At those values, I'd sign them all except Bryant and Uche. Probably pass on Bourne too. Spend more on a better outside WR.

Dugger (Spotrac): Four years, $66.2 million ($16.6 million annually)

Onwenu (Spotrac): Four years, $54.6 million ($13.6 million annually)

Bryant (Spotrac): Three years, $25.1 million ($8.3 million annually)

Uche (Spotrac): Two years, $16.7 million ($8.3 million annually)

Jennings (PFF): Two years, $10.5 million ($5.25 annually)

Henry (PFF): Two years, $12.25 million ($6.13 million annually)

Pharaoh Brown (Spotrac): One year, $2.7 million

Bourne (PFF): Two years, $14 million ($7 million annually)

Elliott (Spotrac): One year, $2.8 million

Trent Brown (PFF): Two years, $15 million ($7.5 million annually)

Apparently drafting a wide receiver, who doesn’t consistently separate is only a problem if Bill drafts him, because Coleman can’t separate for ****. Pass. Give me Legette or even Polk over him.
Coleman ran a 4.64 and 4.62 today.
1709412037977.gif

Market values for our own FAs. They look reasonable, except Dugger. At those values, I'd sign them all except Bryant and Uche. Probably pass on Bourne too. Spend more on a better outside WR.

So depending on how much you structure these contracts we would have to shell out around $80MM of our cap space (based on average annual value of the contract) to get back the same guys who brought you a 4 win season. Of course you can back load a lot of that space but the point is still valid.

Of the above group I would want to keep Duggar, Owenu, Jennings, PBrown, and Uche. That's about 40MM in AV. My top FA target would be D Hunter. On one ratings list he was a top 12 pick and the #3 Edge guy available behind BBurns and JAllen. Old people should get a chuckle from that combination) Getting him will allow us to think about moving Judon in a trade (a year too early rather than a year too late). I imagine that would add another 10MM+ in space that you can use to think about other holes to fill.

Then you start to think about the OTHER needs that have to be addressed, like extending Barmore, upgrading and adding OL depth and WR and TE fillers. IIRC I set out more specifics in another thread, but But in my mind the key guy here is Hunter. He IS the guy we all hoped Uche would evolve into. And if you decide to ride with Judon another year, it would make an excellent edge pair to match with Barmore snd White in the middle.

$100MM in space sounds like a gigantic number, but as you can see from the list venecol kindly posted it can be eaten up rather quickly.

“New England’s first-year head coach Jerod Mayo and de facto general manager Eliot Wolf are in the market for “at least one elite defender”, according to the Boston Herald’s Andrew Callahan and Doug Kyed. This player would presumably be a current NFL player and “would start immediately” for the Patriots, per Callahan and Kyed.”

This is is fun to think about. An elite DT next to Barmore, pass rusher opposite Judon, corner to play with Gonzalez or a starting y caliber free safety could all help put this defense into the top ten.

Baker was good this season but I’d hate it if they signed him then traded back instead of drafting a QB. Trading back and picking up a ton of future assets might not be the worst thing.

If they land a stud end and a stud corner to pair with Gonzo this defense will be bad ass.
A stud end opposite Judon, a stud tall press corner opposite Gonzo, and a free safety and we would be Top 3 defense. Then two years of offense in the draft.

$100M in space sounds like a gigantic number, but as you can see from the list Venecol kindly posted it can be eaten up rather quickly.

The Pats can reduce the cap hit in 2024 by spreading the FA contracts into future years and effectively increase the 2024 cap space to $150M+. But that requires more cash up front. Will RK support spending more cash up front in 2024? We have the ability to spread contracts because the Pats have $200M in cap space in 2025.

Do you think Robyn Glazer is writing the FA contracts to spend more cash in 2024? It would be a first for the Pats.

Thanks great list. Bryant and Bourne are a hard pass. Sign the others.

The list is suspect for accuracy based on the Bryant numbers. $8.3M a year for 3 years for $25M. The guy must have been hammered when he suggested that. Myles of Space Bryant for $25M? This has to be joke to see if we were reading the tweet and recognized the fake.

Love the player, but he hasn’t been healthy in about 3-4 years.
The hype train is a little high. Sure he’s better than anything the Patriots have but the reality is he’s had 7 100 plus yard games in the last two seasons. He’s really good but he’s on the wrong end of 30. And yes he would crush it with Mahomes. But would he do the same with the Patriots?

What he would bring would be a legitimate red zone threat. He knows how to get open when it counts. But when someone says he wants to get paid like a top wr are we talking Tyreek Hill, Cooper Kupp type money????? Because if thats the case we might want to just pay Chase or Jefferson that kind of money.

So depending on how much you structure these contracts we would have to shell out around $80MM of our cap space (based on average annual value of the contract) to get back the same guys who brought you a 4 win season. Of course you can back load a lot of that space but the point is still valid.

Of the above group I would want to keep Duggar, Owenu, Jennings, PBrown, and Uche. That's about 40MM in AV. My top FA target would be D Hunter. On one ratings list he was a top 12 pick and the #3 Edge guy available behind BBurns and JAllen. Old people should get a chuckle from that combination) Getting him will allow us to think about moving Judon in a trade (a year too early rather than a year too late). I imagine that would add another 10MM+ in space that you can use to think about other holes to fill.

Then you start to think about the OTHER needs that have to be addressed, like extending Barmore, upgrading and adding OL depth and WR and TE fillers. IIRC I set out more specifics in another thread, but But in my mind the key guy here is Hunter. He IS the guy we all hoped Uche would evolve into. And if you decide to ride with Judon another year, it would make an excellent edge pair to match with Barmore snd White in the middle.

$100MM in space sounds like a gigantic number, but as you can see from the list venecol kindly posted it can be eaten up rather quickly.

I‘m not quite that old, but fun reference @patfanken. My folks used to have a record with some of their stuff from the radio, we all thought it was funny and loved seeing my usually very quiet Dad laugh so much listening to it.

IMG_0111.jpeg

The hype train is a little high. Sure he’s better than anything the Patriots have but the reality is he’s had 7 100 plus yard games in the last two seasons. He’s really good but he’s on the wrong end of 30. And yes he would crush it with Mahomes. But would he do the same with the Patriots?

What he would bring would be a legitimate red zone threat. He knows how to get open when it counts. But when someone says he wants to get paid like a top wr are we talking Tyreek Hill, Cooper Kupp type money????? Because if thats the case we might want to just pay Chase or Jefferson that kind of money.
This post was regarding Tyron Smith, not Mike Evans.

Not sure who you're talking about here. Evans? If so, I've heard $25M apy.

Not sure who you're talking about here. Evans? If so, I've heard $25M apy.
Evans is not signing with Pats anyways as his agent said:

“Mike wants to play with an elite quarterback in an offense that will showcase him — and be paid like a top wide receiver. He doesn’t want to play with a rookie QB. Winning a Super Bowl is a key priority,” Gilmore told Schultz this week.

The Pats can reduce the cap hit in 2024 by spreading the FA contracts into future years and effectively increase the 2024 cap space to $150M+. But that requires more cash up front. Will RK support spending more cash up front in 2024? We have the ability to spread contracts because the Pats have $200M in cap space in 2025.

Do you think Robyn Glazer is writing the FA contracts to spend more cash in 2024? It would be a first for the Pats.
They spent $150 million something in 2021 (signing bonuses and future salary guarantees) coming off a year in which they lost all of their stadium revenue because of Covid.

pats should be all over him

I was saying the elite player might be dt. Wilkins or madubuik, Chris Jones will be too expensive. Hypothetically if you sign wilkins or madubuik whats the cap hit the 1st year if you layer it the right way? Cuz theyll trade Godchaux and save 8 mil right there. And wilkins is a new England kid right?

Baremore with wilkins or madubuik on the inside with judon wise and k. White on the edge would be elite

That's how you even up the score with these elite qbs in a hurry
Get to the qb have a good secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes