PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's Pay Andrews

So, your plan is to pay $15M to play center? Make no mistake. If we sign Thuney to $15M and refuse to pay Andrews half of that, Andrews will understand his worth to the patriots, and how well he is thought of by management. He will likely find a better situation.

my preference is andrews under 10m and let thuney go, but if andrews wants 10+ id rather keep thuney at 15

I think we're gonna lose Thuney to the Bengals. They have every single reason to pay him top dollar, given their current situation. A QB who looks great, and could even be better than that, had his season cut short because of their god awful OLine. There will be heads rolling if they don't put together a good offensive line (I legitimately think they're a good offensive line from being a good team, on paper. But, it's the Bengals so....)

So I'd like to see Andrews stay.

Please clarify.

Are you saying that Andrews isn't worth $7M AAV to the patriots?

Are you saying that Thuney isn't worth $15.2M AAV to the patriots?

Of course this depends on guarantees and other contract structure.
I'm saying Bill won't pay market value, whatever that is. It could be $10M for Andrews and $18M for Thuney. But who knows, maybe he will since we're in a new era and he's flush with cash.

I'm saying Bill won't pay market value, whatever that is. It could be $10M for Andrews and $18M for Thuney. But who knows, maybe he will since we're in a new era and he's flush with cash.
fair enough, but I think that Andrews is worth a lot to us, more than to other teams.

Maybe we can sign Thuney for $15M AAV, or not.
He may actually wait to see what Scherff gets first to set the ceiling for Thuney.

Thuney is going to use the Pats platform and go to the highest bidder.

We may NEED a QB, but if its Mac Jones or a franchise LT like Sewell....I might do Sewell.
I get what you're saying. My reasoning is that taking another LT is saying Wynn was a mistake. I just don't like using the resources on the same positions when other needs are becoming pressing.

Didn’t bb find Andrews as an UDFA and didn’t Andrews start from day 1?

who says he couldn’t do it again?
Unless Scar is coming out of retirement again we're not going to get the same level of improvement on any new guys.

Unless Scar is coming out of retirement again we're not going to get the same level of improvement on any new guys.

we don’t need a legendary coach to find a center. We need to watch film and interview candidates.

we need guys that are exceptionally smart and can generate push off the snap,

I get what you're saying. My reasoning is that taking another LT is saying Wynn was a mistake. I just don't like using the resources on the same positions when other needs are becoming pressing.

Not if we get to slide Wynn inside to cover the Thuney sized hole we will likely have.....

Where is this "Andrews will cost $7M/year" coming from? I'm expecting more like 10.
If david Andrews cost 10,000,000 a year I wish him well with his new team.
there us absolutely no way on earth we are paying 10 mill out of a 180 mil cap to a mediocre C with health issues.
fair enough, but I think that Andrews is worth a lot to us, more than to other teams.
Why is he worth more to us than other teams? He can be replaced

If david Andrews cost 10,000,000 a year I wish him well with his new team.
there us absolutely no way on earth we are paying 10 mill out of a 180 mil cap to a mediocre C with health issues.

Why is he worth more to us than other teams? He can be replaced

Never said we'd be the ones to pay the $10M. Can you honestly look at the FA contracts given out in the past few years and not say "wow, I have no idea why any team would pay that much, but they did anyway"? Someone will do that for Andrews. They always do.

This is not about saving money but their usual modus operandi where they don't want to insult players/agents with a low ball offer and just let the market tell them whats out there. If its way beyond their internal eval he will move on, if its within the range they will give a counter offer.

Let others figure out the value and then decide.

Keep in mind how they kept their cool with HT visiting the Jets on cupcake day or DMac almost being gone to the Eagles.
Yep, great post.

This year, the market won't be strong, as there will be scores of players out there and a lot less free cap.

Never said we'd be the ones to pay the $10M. Can you honestly look at the FA contracts given out in the past few years and not say "wow, I have no idea why any team would pay that much, but they did anyway"? Someone will do that for Andrews. They always do.
Yes I can look at those contracts and say Andrews isn’t worth 10 million. I also agree that there are centers in that price range and they were overpaid but they are also much better than Andrews.

Yes I can look at those contracts and say Andrews isn’t worth 10 million. I also agree that there are centers in that price range and they were overpaid but they are also much better than Andrews.

I see little reason why Andrews shouldn't be looking at top money at his position (potentially adjusting for the decrease in cap space leaguewide). Take Nate Solder as an example. He hovered around "solid starter" quality throughout his time here, but still got a record setting deal on the open market. NFL GMs are idiots and have demonstrated that they'll compete with one another to pay solid starters like superstars.

I would argue that Andrews has been better at center than Solder ever was at left tackle. That's balanced out by the blood clot concerns, but in the end I think Andrews will be as highly coveted at his position as Solder was.

If Andrews signs for a relative bargain here or elsewhere, it will probably be because he cares about something more than he cares about money.

10 mil for Andrews?!?! Id be shocked to see over 7 mil for him, his health concerns are a major issue, wouldnt want to go big money or term. I think he signs back at a reasonable offer. There are good free agent replacements (Nick Martin, Alex Mack, Corey Linsley, Austin Reiter) and the draft is deep with centers (Trey Hill, Landon ****erson, Josh Meyers, Creed Humphrey, Drake Jackson, Jimmy Morrisey) so i would hope the Pats dont over pay here. I'd be shocked to see them not draft a center as we dont have a plausible backup or long term solution, in addition to re-signing Andrews at a reasonable contract. My guess is 2 years at 12 million with some play time incentives and drafting Meyers on day 3 (my hopes)

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back