Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Spurs

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Lakers

Votes: 67 59.3%
  • Other

Votes: 9 8.0%

• Total voters
Yet we know the Celtics have made some sort of offer. That's disturbing to me.

Do we? Serious question. I've read rumors, but nothing that sounded solid.

It would disturb me, as well, as my interest in Leonard is just about zero, considering (1) what we'd have to give up, (2) his injury history, (3) his attitude, (4) the likelihood of his bolting for the Lakers in a year, and (5) the crush of the Salary Cap. But do we know that Ainge has done anything more than make a cursory inquiry ~ as he should on just about anyone ~ to inquire whether we can steal'm for scraps? If not, I'd give'm the benefit of the doubt. :cool:

I'm perfectly happy to roll with Tatum, Brown, Kyrie, Heyword, Horford and whomever else is on the team at the start of the season. Not sure how Kyrie + one of Tatum/Brown for Kawhi makes for a better team.

Agree, completely. It would be a remarkably stupid trade. o_O

I've certainly read disturbing rumors over the last few years ~ and God only knows what the particulars were of what we actually offered for Justise Winslow in 2015 :eek: ~ but in terms of what he's actually consummated over the course of this magnificent rebuilding process, he hasn't made even one stupid trade...knocking on wood!! :eek:

Yet we know the Celtics have made some sort of offer. That's disturbing to me.

It would disturb me, as well, as my interest in Leonard is just about zero, considering (1) what we'd have to give up, (2) his injury history, (3) his attitude, (4) the likelihood of his bolting for the Lakers in a year, and (5) the crush of the Salary Cap. But do we know that Ainge has done anything more than make a cursory inquiry ~ as he should on just about anyone ~ to inquire whether we can steal'm for scraps? If not, I'd give'm the benefit of the doubt. :cool:

Steve Bulpett occasionally slips into idiocy, but is by and large a flat out awesome writer.

Mind you: writing...and reporting...are two entirely different things.

Mike Reiss, for instance, is a phenomenal Reporter...but an incredibly boring and insight-challenged Writer. I say that with respect, but there it is.
th_coffee.gif

But Bulpett also happens to be an exceptional Reporter.

And I'm loving what he's reporting.
thumb.gif

In a word: exactly what I perceived. :D

I don’t think anyone in their right mind would trade Tatum for Leonard straight up. Heck I even have second thoughts about giving up jaylen brown unless Leonard’s signing long term.
I mean if Kawhi signs a 10 year deal you might consider it because you
One thing that I find strange in NBA talk is how little is being made of the economic value of having young talent like Tatum and Brown on rookie contracts. I understand Kawhi is a top-5 talent, but he'd be coming with an injury history and only one year of control and is going to want max money to stay. Both Tatum and Brown are young, healthy, on cheap multi-year contracts, and have yet to reach full potential.

Then you add in the idea that Kawhi looks to have quit on his current team and trading for him is a hard sell, IMHO. Yet we know the Celtics have made some sort of offer. That's disturbing to me.

If we presume the offer would be Kawhi for Kyrie and one of the young talents, it makes so little sense. Kyrie was great on and off the court before his injury, and looks to be healthy now, and trading him could very well mess up the team chemistry and make other veterans not want to come to Boston.

I'm perfectly happy to roll with Tatum, Brown, Kyrie, Heyword, Horford and whomever else is on the team at the start of the season. Not sure how Kyrie + one of Tatum/Brown for Kawhi makes for a better team.

Long term risk vs short term certainty.

Because NBA talent you have to project out to reaching their peak potential for about 5-6 years. So you aren’t going to get them at their best in this contract or in the best case scenario the tail end of that.

You already know Leonard is the best defensive player in the league and is a top 5 or fringe top 5. He likely will stay that way for 10 years about. Tatum and Brown might never get that far.

The risk is, if they do, you left like 5-8 extra years of Tatum on the table to make it with Kawhi now. The flipside is maybe they just never get close to Leonard’s level.

A team with Kawhi, Kyrie, Hayward is likely automatically running away with the East and has a real shot at getting some titles now.

Who knows what happens in 5 years, Kyrie might leave, he might decline, injury issues, Tatum and Brown might not develop to the level we hope, a team like the Sixer’s might land a super star and their core might live up to potential and all of a sudden they are in the way. There is risk. NBA stars aren’t loyal and their is no threat of a franchise tag. Durant left his team, Lebron left his twice, Garnett left his team to come to he, same with Ray Allen and then he jumped ship to join our rivals, Pierce did not finish here, Harden is not with his original team, George and Leonard are looking to move, Shaq spent his career traveling, Carmelo didn’t stay with the Nuggets.... I could go on. You don’t know what Kyrie and Tatum will do in a few years. Playing the long game isn’t necessarily the best move. This isn’t football and the players all have leverage.

Not every player is Kobe and the Lakers sabotaged themselves to make sure he retired there.

Also I don’t really worry too much about chemistry. This league isn’t like that. The big 3 got a title year one. The Heat went on a 4 year Finals run starting the year they formed. This current Celtic team has 4 starters that were not here a year ago.

I expect the Lakers to trade for Kawhi in the next couple of days to try to lure LeBron over there.

I expect the Lakers to trade for Kawhi in the next couple of days to try to lure LeBron over there.

If Ingram and kuzma are not in the package i hang up the phone. I read somewhere that the lakers haven’t included Ingram. That’s a joke.

Woj is co-author of Sources: Pressure on Lakers to acquire Leonard which says they just made some sort of offer, and also a few weeks ago wrote Can relationship between Kawhi and Spurs be repaired? which says the Celts made an offer before the Feb deadline. There are rumors and then there are Woj Bombs.

I'm far happier to read Sides have contact, but Celtics remain far away from landing Kawhi Leonard ...

NBA stars aren’t loyal and their is no threat of a franchise tag.
Yep, the franchise tag is far more powerful than the casual fan thinks. Even the threat of it changes negotiating postures.

As a casual fan of the NBA and sorta fan of the Celtics, getting Lebron in white and green would be hilarious to me.

Dude's legit, though, if you don't respect him you're an idiot.

What is happening this summer is the main reason why NBA can't be taken seriously in terms of equity, the same reason why I stopped caring about European soccer here in Paris : you've got technically 3 top-5 players / 4 top-10 players available either as free agents or soon-to-be-traded (Bron, KD, PG13, Kawhi, you can add to the list Cousins or Jokic as top 15-20 players) and up to three of them could land in the same franchise at the same time turning a garbage-without-even-purposely-tanking team instantly into the heavy favourite to win it all. And the owners absolutely don't mind getting deep into the tax as such a hollywoodian hypermegateam in such a big market would make them the most profitable franchise by far. You could replace the words basketball/NBA/Lakers by soccer/UEFA Champions League/Real Madrid, the same applies to pro "football association".

As a casual fan of the NBA and sorta fan of the Celtics, getting Lebron in white and green would be hilarious to me.

Dude's legit, though, if you don't respect him you're an idiot.

Ironically, only an idiot would post what you just posted.

Lebron isn't a bad guy, but he is an ass who's provided plenty of reason for intelligent people not to respect him. Me, I'm mixed on'm, as he's said and down so many arrogant and idiotic things, but has also said some insightful, gracious things. He is a spectacular basketball player...but that goes without saying.

Last edited:
I would like to see him on Houston or Boston, either vs gs would be a heck of a series to watch if both are healthy next time.

If he stays with Cleveland they’d better get him some help, that team stands no chance against the West or a healthy Boston.

I would like to see him on Houston or Boston, either vs gs would be a heck of a series to watch if both are healthy next time.

If he stays with Cleveland they’d better get him some help, that team stands no chance against the West or a healthy Boston.
Adding LBJ to the Celtics could be game changing, a team that could truly contend with GS. No way it would ever happen.

I could give a flying f.. about LBJ, not even sure I would like him in Celtics Green... he has morphed into the consummate media whore, always seeking attention..

He lost me after the 2010 ESPN special where he and Jim Gray spent 75 minutes of the self aggrandization of all things LeBron..

What is happening this summer is the main reason why NBA can't be taken seriously in terms of equity, the same reason why I stopped caring about European soccer here in Paris : you've got technically 3 top-5 players / 4 top-10 players available either as free agents or soon-to-be-traded (Bron, KD, PG13, Kawhi, you can add to the list Cousins or Jokic as top 15-20 players) and up to three of them could land in the same franchise at the same time turning a garbage-without-even-purposely-tanking team instantly into the heavy favourite to win it all. And the owners absolutely don't mind getting deep into the tax as such a hollywoodian hypermegateam in such a big market would make them the most profitable franchise by far. You could replace the words basketball/NBA/Lakers by soccer/UEFA Champions League/Real Madrid, the same applies to pro "football association".
The franchise tag is a powerful weapon for the NFL. It gives the team a lot of control over the top tier players. Just the threat of it changes negotiations. We see in the case of Kirk Cousins and others that teams can afford to invoke it repeatedly. It prevents the players from getting the kind of power the players in other leagues have. By eliminating the bidding for the top players you in turn limit the salaries of the next tier of players.

It also prevents players using their power to shape the destiny of franchises. Compare and contrast the NBA where LeBron has the power to sign in essence a series of 1 year deals that give him the ability to decide the future of franchises, to the NFL where the last true franchise changing player to hit the open market was Payton Manning and that was because he was damaged goods with a limited lifespan.

In theory the franchise tag and salary caps and luxury taxes shouldn't be needed because it's the owners who are in control of what they offer and if they had self control they wouldn't be driving salaries up. Well, of course, that's not reality. The owners know they lack self control. Thus we end up with all these rules to protect owners from themselves that really limit what top tier players can earn.

I am a Real Madrid fan but that’s horsesh*t. It’s not like other teams can’t buy players. How about playing well for starters.

Adding LBJ to the Celtics could be game changing, a team that could truly contend with GS. No way it would ever happen.

The team we have now could contend with GS assuming they stay healthy. I read somewhere that the warriors are going after deandre Jordan. Really? With what money.

Ironically, only an idiot would post what you just posted.

Lebron isn't a bad guy, but he is an ass who's provided plenty of reason for intelligent people not to respect him. Me, I'm mixed on'm, as he's said and down so many arrogant and idiotic things, but has also said some insightful, gracious things. He is a spectacular basketball player...but that goes without saying.

Brother OTG, I agree with your sentiments about wanting the current core of Celts to stay together and win a title. There's a sense of integrity about winning with a handful of top 20-30 players and a carefully assembled bench, rather than 3 recently imported top 10 players. Being a Celtics fan typically includes some stubborn opposition to the superficial trends in the League and winning with this core would feel soooo good in that regard.

But I don't agree with you about James' character, in the sense that I've not walked in those shoes and can't imagine what its like to be seen and treated like a God just about anywhere I go. I can't even get that treatment in my own kitchen. So I give him the benefit of the doubt on the seemingly over the top egocentric stuff, and appreciate his sense of humor and similar.

But I don't want him on the Celts, because I want to win with the current group. That isn't necessarily the most clear-eyed strategy, I know.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back