PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lawrence Guy signed - DL/DE checked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C'est la vie. BB clearly didn't want him around and it didn't hurt us at the end of the day. Most of Flowers' pressures came from inside. Would that have happened if Easley was still on the team?
Que sera sera, strange how he bombed here,usually its the other way around.

Apparently his play fell off this past season (or last?) but he's been a solid edge guy throughout his career. A couple of double digit sacks season.

Maybe he can be this years Chris Long? Vet guy, comes here cheap, looking for a ring and plays situationally?

Along with Hightower, that's the final missing piece on the defensive roster. A pass defending linebacker would be nice too.

Proof hard work pays off! Really excited for him, he finally got a big contract and on the Patriots!!!

I personally feel (sadly) weather Nink is on or off this team he is an after thought at this point. I just don't think he has much left in the tank. I like the player but he is on his last legs. Either this year or last year were his last as a Patriots and I would guess it is 50/50.

The Pats can save 1-1.4M if they cut him (I am not sure). He is still fairly cheap at 2.4M for this year so not a big deal to keep or cut either way.

Nink's snaps/game active in 2016 were tied with Sheard for 2nd among DEs (behind Long), and he played twice as many ST snaps as Sheard did. His snaps/game were down from 2015, but his tackles and sacks per snap were actually up a bit. Not bad for an old guy, really.

I think he has one more decent campaign left in him, and he'll be great to have around to help Ealy and any draftees adjust.

Look whos #4..just sayin

He was getting pressure here too. It never showed in the stat sheet though.

Problem is, for where he was drafted he was only a situational pass rusher. He was taken off the field on run downs.

I tend not to watch other teams. What was his productivity like?

2 or 3 years removed from a 14.5 sack season. 4.5 last year. Declining, still sad he wasnt drafted by NE. Be interesting to see if BB kicks the tires on him though. Highly doubt it.

He was getting pressure here too. It never showed in the stat sheet though.

Problem is, for where he was drafted he was only a situational pass rusher. He was taken off the field on run downs.
He pretty much was hurt most of his time here. Maybe he never had a chance to shine, but his lazy azz attitude didn't help. BB saw that and it was hasta la vista baby.

Along with Hightower, that's the final missing piece on the defensive roster. A pass defending linebacker would be nice too.

Although obviously not a LB, I'm wondering if the plan with Gilmore is to match him up similarly to the way we used Talib on certain TE's?

I could be wrong, but I remember 2 years ago Rex Ryan was matching up Gimore on Gronk and I think remembering Gilmore did a good job.

Just something to think about, especially if we keep Butler, and successfully move Cyrus Jones into the Logan Ryan role from last year.

He pretty much was hurt most of his time here. Maybe he never had a chance to shine, but his lazy azz attitude didn't help. BB saw that and it was hasta la vista baby.

Obviously that too!

Still interested in Mychal Kendricks who's supposed to be available in trade.
Just had his $4.3m salary guaranteed.

Don't know why he fell off a cliff in Philly.

Another brilliant move by Howie Roseman

Although obviously not a LB, I'm wondering if the plan with Gilmore is to match him up similarly to the way we used Talib on certain TE's?

I could be wrong, but I remember 2 years ago Rex Ryan was matching up Gimore on Gronk and I think remembering Gilmore did a good job.

Just something to think about, especially if we keep Butler, and successfully move Cyrus Jones into the Logan Ryan role from last year.

Or Eric Rowe? Lots of talk at draft time about switching him to safety. Rowe becomes our Browner.

Strange. When Logan came to Patriots, he was a RCB. He would get burned on many occasions. Pats fans would grimace when a QB throws towards him.

When the moved Logan to a Slot CB, he excelled.

When Cyrus play CB (briefly) he got burned. So maybe moving him to slot maybe the answer? If this does not work out, he will be a 2nd-round bust (among some of the few that the Patriots selected in the past)....

Hightower must be licking his lips to come back. A stout(er) D-line to stuff the run. We can clamp down with our rejuvenated DB's. Let the LBackers roam and wreck havoc!
Must be lucky to wear that green dot.

Strange. When Logan came to Patriots, he was a RCB. He would get burned on many occasions. Pats fans would grimace when a QB throws towards him.

When the moved Logan to a Slot CB, he excelled.

When Cyrus play CB (briefly) he got burned. So maybe moving him to slot maybe the answer? If this does not work out, he will be a 2nd-round bust (among some of the few that the Patriots selected in the past)....

I think Cyrus Jones will be a good player. If there's one thing I'm concerned with him about, he seems to be a head case. Playing DB you need to have a short memory. He doesn't.

That's what I love about Butler. No fear. I know it's looking like a long shot, but I hope he stays man. I love the player.

Guy (27 next week):
6041/305, 32.6 arm/10.6 hand, 4.98 40/1.81 10yd, 28reps, 29vj/104bj, 4.43ss/7.34cn
- In 2015-16 with BAL, had 17 starts in 32 games. Had 4.5 sacks in '15, only 1 in '16. Averaged 37 total tackles/yr.

Odrick (29):
6050/305, 4.95 40/1.77 10yd, 26rreps, 29vj/106bj, 4.44ss/7.22cn
- In 2011-14 with MIA and 2015 in JAX, had 56 starts in 80 games. Averaged 4.5 sacks and 31 total tackles per year.

Size-wise, Odrick/Guy comps in this draft class might include:

Nazair Jones:
6051/304, 34.5 arm/10.7 hand, 5.11 40/1.81 10yd, DNP reps, 24.5vj/101bj, 4.63ss/7.93cn

Jarron Jones:
6056/319, 35.4 arm/10.4 hand, 5.33 40/1.87 10yd, 22reps, 20.5vj
(DNP'd remaining tests till Notre Dame proday)

McDowell:
6062/295, 34.6 arm/10.4 hand, 4.85 40/1.69 10yd, 23reps, 28.5vj/112bj, 5.53ss/7.69cn

Wormley:
6050/298, 34.1 arm/10.4 hand, 23 reps
(DNP remaining tests until pro day, 3/24)

Guy can play DE in classic 30-fronts, as well as in those combo 30/40-fronts that BB & MP like to show. Guy can also generate consistent interior pressure on the QB and help deform the pocket while NOT being a liability against the run (crucial BB requirement). This helps DEs like Flowers get home from the edge.

I think Cyrus Jones will be a good player. If there's one thing I'm concerned with him about, he seems to be a head case. Playing DB you need to have a short memory. He doesn't.

That's what I love about Butler. No fear. I know it's looking like a long shot, but I hope he stays man. I love the player.

Yeah. Hope Cyrus does not become a "Ryan Leaf"... If you have no confidence in yourself in the NFL, you are toast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes