PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Last Offseason was supposed to be one of the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? He's having a great year and was a big part of 2 SB runs for us.... we SHOULD be talking about Blount.

Letting him walk and trying to replace him with Gillislee hasn't worked well so far.

A big part of 2 SB runs?

Outside of one game vs. the Colts (the same team Jonas 'Now a bagger at Stop n Shop' Gray ran for 200 against earlier that same season), what in the blue **** did that guy ever do in the playoffs other than disappear, or worse, fumble?

Why? He's having a great year and was a big part of 2 SB runs for us.... we SHOULD be talking about Blount.

Letting him walk and trying to replace him with Gillislee hasn't worked well so far.

When you watch poker, do you judge who is the better player based on who wins each hand? Or do you judge it based on their winning percentage over many poker tournaments? Our GM has managed to keep this team rolling through 17 winning seasons of later round draft picks, let alone the whole Goodell crap we had to deal with. He is making good bets generally.

Of course he loses some hands. No one has a crystal ball. Sometimes a player does not pick up a new scheme or does not fit into a teams culture. Please don't give me this crap about how he is not playing the cards right. Sometimes you place a big bet on pocket aces and you lose to a straight on the river.

Furthermore, Gillislee might end up being the right bet after all. We are only at the flop.

Texas hold 'em - Wikipedia

Great to post this. Thanks.

Agreed. Collection of BB's takes like this one could make a sensible sticker thread. But I guess people prefer hot takes (esp. their own;)) ..

Great to post this. Thanks.

Agreed. Collection of BB's takes like this one could make a sensible sticker thread. But I guess people prefer hot takes (esp. their own;)) ..

It is not about hot takes. Everything BB said is true, but it is also true that every team is in the same position BB describes, and this team is at the bottom in team defense. I am hoping the disparity is that the BB defense is tougher than the other teams so it is taking longer this year for a lot of new faces. Understandable if it takes longer some years than others depending on the new signings.

We are always going to miss on some draft picks and FA signings. BB keeps changing each year to stay young and to work the averages. If we hit on all of our signings than we would be able to go with more veterans for stability and then sign a bunch of new guys later, but if you miss on "a bunch of new guys later" it would be ugly. So BB keeps changing and getting younger and statistically we stay at the top but rarely come out of the gates strongly.

There is a chance we missed more this year than others on our signings, but like BB said it is still early. I think this week's game is too early. I think we need to look hard after the bye to see where we are. This might not be a great year, but it might. We don't know yet. People questioning this team is OK, the defense ranks very low at this point. That is not a hot take.

I think most of us were giddy with the offseason moves and expected a much more 2007-like start to the season. I guess we should thank the Chiefs and everyone else for bringing that crashing down to earth. We see time and time again how the offseason champs rarely even make it to the big game, let alone win it. Remember the year the Broncos brought in Ware and Ward and Welker?

In the end we, the fans, are the ones guilty of falling for the media and fan hype. The season isn't over and I still have hope of good production from these guys and I think Gilmore is doing better than people are gonna give him credit, but if things don't change then yeah some of these moves didn't pan out.

It's no different than FA signings that didn't make it in previous years, it's just many of us had dreams of 2007.

I remember how we used to joke that the Jetes always used to "win April."

I think the lesson is that we can't evaluate the offseason until the postseason.

Six games in? Really? All we can say is that the Pats are a 4--2 team that's won two games in a row despite a shaky Defense and is getting ready to face a 3--2 team that's lost two games in a row, including one after a Bye week.

i know, tell me about it. i can’t believe the pats didn’t win the preseason super bowl.

A big part of 2 SB runs?

Outside of one game vs. the Colts (the same team Jonas 'Now a bagger at Stop n Shop' Gray ran for 200 against earlier that same season), what in the blue **** did that guy ever do in the playoffs other than disappear, or worse, fumble?

"Aside from being a very significant part of the offense for 2 years, and aside from having 2 (not one) monster playoff games that I'm irrationally going to **** on, what did he do?"

You're better than that, Tommy.

Theres been a few times that ive thought looking at the off season moves that 'wow nobodys gonna beat this team" ive thought that about other teams also. But it never seems to pan out. Injuries , chemistry, players that are acquired not buying into the system etc. like i said more times than not a team that looks un-beatable on paper flops.

That the idea has been proven wrong on every front? That seems like a good reason to me.

In both cases, we knew that we were probably returning Lewis (back from injuries), Bolden (special teams), and White (a really fine receiving back). So, special teams and 3rd down was covered.

OPTION ONE
Blount and Foster

OPTION TWO
Burkhead and Gillislie (both of whom were to be injured)

I choose OPTION TWO. Even with the injuries, and weak start, I think that this is the better option for the end of season, the playoffs and the Super Bowl.

I got to watch replays of overcoming a 28-3 deficit in SB51. That's an off-season full of win.

Pats are tied for fewest losses in the AFC. Seems like they are winning the on-season, too.

Regards,
Chris

Not fair to hammer Gillislee just yet. Our defense has sucked and we havent had too many comfortable leads yet this year so we are depending mostly on TB12. We are not missing Blount. Check the tight playoff games when Blount was here, he did nothing...defenses paid zero respect to him and TB12 had to carry the whole team. Doesn't matter who the RB was this year they weren't gonna have much production to this point. That should hopefully change if the D improves continually.

Like pointed out earlier, Nink's retirement and Rivers' injury put us in a tough spot at DE. And at the time of the trade alot of people thought Ealy was a great pickup. And it wasn't our call on Long - he wanted to be in a different D. Overall yeah disappointment here but it's hard to kill BB over this one.

Allen- can't argue that one, he sucks. And yeah jury still out on Gilmore - not sure about him and that's not great considering the investment. Cooks has delivered and is probably going to get better - if JE were healthy that pickup would look even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes