PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft: zero DV tolerance - no Mixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the legal definition of assault?
Well, since you asked, here is what the Legal Dictionary.com says:

At Common Law, an intentional act by one person that creates an apprehension in another of an imminent harmful or offensive contact.

An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm. It is both a crime and a tort and, therefore, may result in either criminal or civil liability. Generally, the common law definition is the same in criminal and Tort Law. There is, however, an additional Criminal Law category of assault consisting of an attempted but unsuccessful Battery.

Because based on the one I learned in school she ''assaulted'' Mixon up to 4 times before he ever swung.
Well you may have gone to school but you obviously never went to law school.

If you want to give an opinion, then whatever.... but if you want to talk about the law, there isn't a court in the country which would not view him as the aggressor in this case.

What part of that article shows the guy was an aggressor following a woman into a restaurant?
The part where falling back on an irrelevant technicality means you lost the argument

The part where falling back on an irrelevant technicality means you lost the argument
Look, you tried an old internet trick and it isn't fooling anyone. I challenged you to show me an example of XYZ. You showed an example of X, leaving out YZ, and said "see? there you go!" hoping no one would call you out on it. Regardless...

If you think the fact that the woman (and her friend) retreated into a restaurant to try to get away from Mixon and Mixon followed them into the restaurant to continue the confrontation is an "irrelevant technicality" then, with all due respect, you don't have the first clue regarding how the law views such situations.

Here's the final word folks -- no matter what you think happened in restaurant there is more than enough to establish reasonable doubt that the incident went the way Molitor described it, and given the video evidence was suppressed by the town and kept away from Mixon's lawyer they knew that at the time. That video was only released after the trial, long after they'd pressured a frightened, remorseful kid into a plea bargain that gave him a harsher sentence than they would have gotten if the video was out there

Makes it hard for those of us willing to adjust our thinking in light of new evidence and try to avoid prejudice, to keep beating the woman-beater drum, especially again when this was the only incident and the extenuating circumstances are so obvious

Look, you tried an old internet trick and it isn't fooling anyone. I challenged you to show me an example of XYZ. You showed an example of X, leaving out YZ, and said "see? there you go!" hoping no one would call you out on it. Regardless...

If you think the fact that the woman (and her friend) retreated into a restaurant to try to get away from Mixon and Mixon followed them into the restaurant to continue the confrontation is an "irrelevant technicality" then, with all due respect, you don't have the first clue regarding how the law views such situations.
Again though it almost doesn't matter, Molitor was still the one who took the conflict in a physical direction.

When you cross some lines you better mean it, and be ready for the consequences, laying hands on another person is one of those lines

Here's the final word folks -- no matter what you think happened in restaurant there is more than enough to establish reasonable doubt that the incident went the way Molitor described it, and given the video evidence was suppressed by the town and kept away from Mixon's lawyer they knew that at the time. That video was only released after the trial, long after they'd pressured a frightened, remorseful kid into a plea bargain that gave him a harsher sentence than they would have gotten if the video was out there

Makes it hard for those of us willing to adjust our thinking in light of new evidence and try to avoid prejudice, to keep beating the woman-beater drum, especially again when this was the only incident and the extenuating circumstances are so obvious

I doubt this is actually going to be the final word in this discussion :rolleyes:

The more you talk about this matter, the more you show you don't have the first clue what you are talking about.

All relevant parties had the video from the get-go. It wasn't "suppressed by the town". It was simply released to the public after the trial. In fact, it was Mixon's lawyer himself who released it to the public, so obviously he had the video since he was the one who released it. (A local media outlet sued for access to the video, and they were going to win, so that is why Mixon's attorney released it)

Again though it almost doesn't matter, Molitor was still the one who took the conflict in a physical direction.

When you cross some lines you better mean it, and be ready for the consequences, laying hands on another person is one of those lines
You're entitled to your opinions, but you clearly don't know the law, nor do you seem to have a thorough handle on the facts of this particular case.

I doubt this is actually going to be the final word in this discussion :rolleyes:
I've noticed that about 99.9% of the time when someone promises they will no longer be commenting in a thread, they still come back and comment in the thread.

The more you talk about this matter, the more you show you don't have the first clue what you are talking about.

All relevant parties had the video from the get-go. It wasn't "suppressed by the town". It was simply released to the public after the trial. In fact, it was Mixon's lawyer himself who released it to the public, so obviously he had the video since he was the one who released it. (A local media outlet sued for access to the video, and they were going to win, so that is why Mixon's attorney released it)

Yeah and Mixon got CRUSHED in the court of public opinion after the video came out, similar to what happened with Ray Rice. Any shaky evidence the video revealed about who started what was blown away by the sight of a future NFL running back breaking a woman's jaw. So glad I'll never have to root for this *******, or for the likes of Greg Hardy and others.

I don't think there will ever be an agreement as to Mixon's level of "wrongness". I can see the arguments on both sides. That being said, why does Kraft even get involved the discussion. If he doesn't want him on the team. just tell Belichick/Caserio et al to take him off their board. No need to say "hey look at me""look at the good thing we are doing". Just internally blackball him. Don't let that info out. If someone comes up to the Pats looking to trade into a spot to get the player, act like he is your favorite player in the draft. No reason to give away any information away. I understand the PR argument, but as it is seen in this thread, there are varying opinions. Some people think the Pats get good PR by announcing he is not on their board and they take this kind of violence seriously. But a large number also feel the opposite way, so what is the true benefit? Keep your mouth shut and leave your options open.

actually, when kraft was asked about mixon, he declined to comment, only making a general statement about his personal view on domestic violence. the patriots taking mixon off their board came from "a source".

so you can blame "the source", because kraft did exactly what you wanted him to do.

Patriots will steer clear of controversial Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon

That’s why the Patriots absolutely will not even consider drafting Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon next month, according to a source. The controversial but talented back has been erased from their draft board because of his violent past.
Kraft declined to speak specifically about Mixon this week when approached about the subject, but he did note his stance against domestic violence abusers that can be traced back to Christian Peter in 1996.

Well, since you asked, here is what the Legal Dictionary.com says:

At Common Law, an intentional act by one person that creates an apprehension in another of an imminent harmful or offensive contact.

And what part of that standard do you think is unmet by a white woman making literal, offensive contact against a black man, spitting on him and throwing racial slurs at him ? I'm curious.

Even if you hold the ludicrous idea that a woman poses no physical threat to a man at all, especially when we have no idea what she may be armed with (a little pepper spray can go a LONG way) all she's have to do to cause a threat is turn other men against him, which she ultimately in fact did. You included now.

First off Blount punched a college football player right after a devastating loss. The guy ran up to Blount and tried to rub the loss in Blount's face (true sportsmanship) and got clocked in the face for his troubles. Blount was a Heisman hopeful and it was the first game of the year for a heavily favored Oregon team. Blount was suspended for the entire year, BUT still stayed in school and participated in every practice, and was eventually reinstated for the Bowl game.

Mixon followed a girl into a fast food restaurant and cold clocked her in the face. Breaking her cheek bone. Granted the 110 lbs 18 year old female was shoving him at the time, but still, you can't punch a woman. And once she was out cold what did Mixon do, call for help? see if she was OK? nope ran like a *****.

So you are comparing apples to Grapefruits there.

Personally I think its stupid of Kraft to openly say that Mixon is off the draft board. What if during the draft someone who wants him is looking to trade for the Pat's pick? Never show your cards before you are called! You can tell BB he is off the board, but nobody else.

He did not cold clock her , she struck him first. You hit someone, don't hide behind your skirt. I feel no more sympathy for her than a 125lb guy that hit a 18yo kid. Now a chick should never be hit, but neither should she hit. Mixon was 18 Years old then and for three years there has not been an issues.

He did not cold clock her , she struck him first. You hit someone, don't hide behind your skirt. I feel no more sympathy for her than a 125lb guy that hit a 18yo kid. Now a chick should never be hit, but neither should she hit. Mixon was 18 Years old then and for three years there has not been an issues.

That isn't true. From Wiki:
"Oklahoma suspended Mixon for one game in 2016 after an incident involving him and a parking attendant. After receiving a parking citation, Mixon confronted the attendant, tore the citation in half, and threw the pieces, which hit her in the face. According to the incident report, he then "inched at the officer" with his vehicle "to intimidate the officer""

And what part of that standard do you think is unmet by a white woman making literal, offensive contact against a black man, spitting on him and throwing racial slurs at him ? I'm curious.
There is zero evidence whatsoever that she spit on him or made any racial remarks. Even Mixon himself backed down from those remarks he made.
Even if you hold the ludicrous idea that a woman poses no physical threat to a man at all,
Not sure it is so ludicrous to think a drunk 100 pound little girl is no threat to a professional-caliber football player.

Besides, when someone is retreating from a confrontation into a public place (like she did) you don't get to follow them into the restaurant and then claim she is a threat to you.

Like I said... you are entitled to your ridiculous opinions but they are not even remotely in line with the laws of our land. BTW, what happened to Mr. "Last Word"? I thought you were done here.

That isn't true. From Wiki:
"Oklahoma suspended Mixon for one game in 2016 after an incident involving him and a parking attendant. After receiving a parking citation, Mixon confronted the attendant, tore the citation in half, and threw the pieces, which hit her in the face. According to the incident report, he then "inched at the officer" with his vehicle "to intimidate the officer""

And what is that? he ripped up a parking ticket and threw it at the meter maid.

Date of birth July 24, 1996

So on July 25, 2014 he would be 18 years and 1 day.

Clearly the whole incident doesn't make Mixon look good. But watching the video is looks like he was starting to leave. The woman then got up and shoved him. And reacted. Then she appears to hit him in the head/neck region (hard to tell due to low quality video). After which he knocks her hard. Basically if she had been a man no one would be upset about what happened.

Good advice for anyone. Don't go around hit people in the face who are twice as big as you.

Basically, If Mixon hadn't followed her in there, the event wouldn't have happened.

It's not magic, but it is physics. He is a professional caliber football player and she is probably 100 pounds soaking wet. Who do you think is going to be able to hit harder and/or absorb a hit harder?

She was stupid to do what she did but he had no right responding the way he did. The bottom line is he will slide in the draft but still get taken, and she will get a nice payday out of the whole thing.

He followed them down the street yelling gay slurs. He followed them into the restaurant. He followed them to their table.

Then, when this woman who probably doesn't weigh more than 100 pounds, the guy looking to be an NFL running back hauls off and punches her in the face.

Stop trying to excuse a guy acting like an animal.

My favorite part is when the future professional athlete who got slapped by a 100 pound girl explained to the police:

"I was so shocked, because she hit me so hard. It felt like a dude hit me." - Mixon

Yeah, sure thing buddy. The drunk 18 year old girl really looks like she packed quite a wallop. :rolleyes:

There is zero evidence whatsoever that she spit on him or made any racial remarks. Even Mixon himself backed down from those remarks he made.
Not sure it is so ludicrous to think a drunk 100 pound little girl is no threat to a professional-caliber football player.

Besides, when someone is retreating from a confrontation into a public place (like she did) you don't get to follow them into the restaurant and then claim she is a threat to you.

Like I said... you are entitled to your ridiculous opinions but they are not even remotely in line with the laws of our land. BTW, what happened to Mr. "Last Word"? I thought you were done here.

just for accuracy's sake, she was listed as 5'6" and 130lbs in the probable cause affidavit, so she's not some petite little thing. ronda rousey, for instance, is 5'7" 135lbs.

SoonerScoop.com - Mixon charged with misdemeanor offense in alleged assault

Her height and weight are listed at 5-foot-6, 130 pounds, and Mixon's height and weight are listed at 6-foot-2, 210 pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes